44 special 240 grain load data

If you have a fixed sight revolver 250-260 grain bullets will probably shoot close to the sights. For the mild .44 special loads, I recommend all lead bullets and loads that produce 700-850 FPS speeds. A Colt Single Action Army dating back to 1910 measured .431 inch, while a 1963 New Frontier SAA measured .430, a 2014-era New Frontier SAA ran .429 inch, and a 1980 3rd Generation Single Action Army measured .434 inch. over the decades have fired many rounds of cast 240 SWC deep . Our goal is to bring you everything you need to accurately reload your own weapon of choice, along with all the accessories to go with it. 2 to the slow No.9. All Shooting Times subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. IMR 3031 and IMR 4895 are products of IMR (formerly DuPont) Powder Company. The "Skeeter"load. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. With a satin stainless finish, this Model 629 is built on the traditional N-frame and weighs 41 ounces unloaded. This is definitely not the case if youre looking for accuracy. 429421 bullet that weighed 250 grains in solid form and 235 grains in hollowpoint form. Buy 44 Caliber Bullets .429 Diameter 240 Grain Hunting & Self Defense 50 Count: GunBroker is the largest seller of Other Reloading Supplies Reloading Supplies Ammunition Reloading All: 981766936 . JHP 250 gr. Unfortunately, the .44 Magnums greater power pushed the Special from the stage. For more than 100 years it has served the shooting public, the military and handgun hunters with distinction. The fun is in the fact that I can use one powder, Unique. Unique is still one of the most versatile powders on the market today. Post WWII revolvers are stronger. No purchase necessary. He is a published fiction and non-fiction writer, earned his pilots license in 1965, and is the original founder of Reload Ammo in 1996. I like to load the .44 Special using moderate amounts of powder thus providing a very economical cartridge to use any time in any .44 Magnum. You can follow the Elmer Keith trail up to 1200 fps with 250 grain bullets, but the pressure is 22,000 - 25,000psi and bullet diameter, seating depth and alloyare critical. Why the .44 Special? After a while, however, even the most recoil-tough shooter looks forward to toning things down a bit. Brass and some other items can be shipped via USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail. Discussion: I no longer use the same bullets and cases for the special loads as I do the Magnum, since all my rifles and pistols use the magnum round. During the 1920s Elmer Keith developed the Ideal/Lyman 429421 bullet to improve the .44 Specials performance. To help illustrate this information, sidebars are included containing sample dimensions from a variety of guns. A healthy roll crimp is recommended. Associated taxes and fees will be the responsibility of the winner. The Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Remington Magnum has always been a favorite revolver for sport and pleasure. The Association's central purpose is to help shooters enjoy casting bullets, You must enable JavaScript to be able to use this site in full. Your email address will not be published. Red Dot, Green Dot and Blue Dot shotgun powders, and HS-6 and Unique excel with these lighter bullets. It's best to shoot all lead bullets outside to avoid lead fumes. If you have a lightweight .44 or older gun, always start with 10% less than amounts listed above, and work up to the full maximum loads. SWC. Instead of using it in my lighter weight .44 Special sixguns, I mostly use it in .44 Magnums. Tests have shown, however, that using bullets that are close to throat diameter to begin with usually yield best accuracy while increasing pressures very little, if at all. For these reasons, 240-grain bullets are best when used in conjunction with load data that exceeds industry maximum pressures. I still favor genuine Keith designs for general use, as they are accurate, perform well on game, are easy to cast, and without a gas check, they are especially economical. Please note that many of the starting loads in Category 2 are within industry pressure guidelines of 15,500 psi. Do not leave Tightgroup in your powder measure, even overnight. (I) Giveaway ends May 31, 2023. If you think I'm an unabashed fan of the old round, you're right. All this resulted in changes in muzzle velocity with many loads. It was left to handloaders to fill the power vacuum. For me, the .44 Special and the above loads fit the bill nicely. When. This isn't your grandpa's muzzleloading system. Most famous was Elmer Keith. Speer offers the perfect .44 Special jacketed bullet. _________________________________________________. Number of Views: 5768, S&W models 24 and 624. (II) Limit one entry per household. Normally, you use the 44. special cases in guns chambered for the .44 special cartridge. Subscriber Services. 5 built by Bowen Classic Arms. Contest open to U.S. residents only. Modern solid-head cases, such as the Starline case (right), handle loads of all pressure levels. Is there a place to go for load data for 44 Special loads. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. 5 by Clements Custom Guns, (5) factory-engraved USFA PreWar SAA, (6) custom Colt Flattop Target pattern, (7) original Keith Long Range Colt and (8) a USFA factory engraved SAA. Tightgroup is an excellent fast pistol powder. I loaded some for a friend's 6" S&W 624. My experience shooting those behemoths suggests they exceed my limit. The Russian case is but .970 inch in length and just couldn't hold enough of the bulky new powder to achieve the desired velocities, so in 1907 Smith & Wesson lengthened the older case by .190 inch and a star was born. 5.0 gr. Keith bullets from H&G, Lyman, NEI and RCBS loaded in .44 Special brass. Most modern jacketed bullets must be traveling at least 850 to 900 fps to achieve reliable expansion, a velocity that was easily reached with most 200-grain bullets using standard pressure loads. 44F. .44 Special: When the .44 Special was introduced in late 1907, even though the brass was longer than the .44 Russian and the Triple-Lock sixgun was certainly stronger than the S&W Top-Breaks, for some strange reason it was loaded to the same level as the .44 Russian; they simply increased the black powder charge from 23 to 26 grains. We typically ship within 7 days, 2 weeks maximum if there is a delay in paper works. I am not about totest thisbecause the recoil at 1200 fps is decidedly unpleasant in a light-weight Special, and I am a wimp. Contest open to U.S. residents only. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. The .44 Special was introduced in about 1907 and is an extremely accurate cartridge. All Reloading Equipment; . Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winner(s). No purchase necessary. Target shooters flocked to the .44 Special. The .44 Special is an ideal cartridge for cast-bullet loads, with literally dozens and dozens of designs and weights readily available. Several years ago, a prominent gun magazine asked readers what their favorite powder was for reloading the .44 Special. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Trying to make a 0.430 bullet work for all of these would be an exercise in futility. Your email address will not be published. Powder charges used in the .44 Special case seldom require magnum primers, although they are frequently recommended with ball or spherical powders. cast FP; 200-gr. Is there a preferred source of data? It is important to note that the .44 Special has an industry overall cartridge length of 1.615 inches, while the .44 Magnum is actually shorter at 1.610 inches. Just stick to near-maximum loads to keep up the velocity and ensure adequate expansion. Keith pestered the ammo companies to bring out heavier .44 Special loads, but there was a fear that such powerful loads would blow up an older, weaker revolver. The Judge has been promoted! However, as factory loaded with a 246-grain lead roundnose bullet at approximately 750 fps muzzle velocity, the .44 Spl. For everyday "working" .44 Special loads, I find 240- to 255-grain cast bullets at around 1,000 fps to 1,050 fps especially useful. Trigger pull on the test sample was set at 4 pounds. As smokeless powders progressed and improved, by the early 1920s handloaders began developing loads that enhanced the performance of the .44 Special. NOTE: Velocities are lower in the larger cases so speeds and pressures are different. (I) Giveaway ends September 30, 2022. Thanks, Olddesertrat. A World Record Attempt and everyone is out at the range shooting and practicing. Using wheel weight alloy, they weigh approximately 255260 grains. However, it is a +P 44 Special load at 20,000 psi. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. Regardless of the loads chosen, be certain to use data exactly as listed, as changes in bullet design, bullet seating depth and overall cartridge length, primer, etc., will change the pressures and performance of the load. I am not able to find data for various bullet weights. Join the exclusive reloading community founded in 1996 and be the first to know about our latest news, reviews, and insights. However, as factory loaded with a 246-grain lead roundnose bullet at approximately 750 fps muzzle velocity, the .44 Spl. Having always been a fan of moderate loads using lead bullets suitable for casual paper punching, the .44 Special naturally comes to mind for use in .44 Magnum revolvers. Deployed military should use stateside address. When the .44 Mag was introduced in 1955, Hercules 2400 and IMR 4227 soon became the most popular powders for .44 Magnum hand-loads. Mikey Hartman, Lt. Col. Product #: 583380. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. With 6.0 grains of Unique and a 51/2 sixgun the result is a very pleasant shooting, and accurate, load of 825 fps. The manuals dont show every type of powder for every bullet weight for the .44 special. During the past 40+ years, I have shot dozens of big game from pronghorn to black bear and elk with the .44 Special, all with handloaded ammunition. If any of you have been through this process, I'd love to hear about it. Have a question? WMR, WSF, WST, WSL, 760, 748, 231 and 540 are products of Winchester, Components Div. Handgun Data. Buy 50 rounds of Herters 44 Mag 240 grain SP brass cased ammo: GunBroker is the largest seller of Pistol Ammunition Ammunition All: 973242959 . (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if needed) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. All of the cast bullets shown in the load table were obtained from a local commercial caster and had a Brinell Hardness Number of 15 (the same as Lyman No. I think you are also going to shorten the life of your revolver with Keith Loads. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. Took this load form Speer #13 manual and it shot very well in both my 44 mags, very accurate and not even max. For any loads over 900 FPS, I suggest using a jacketed bullet. 6.8 Western Ammo Options: The Load of Long Yardage, .458 Winchester Magnum History: The Complete Story. Number of Views: 5765, Published on 10-20-2014 09:24 PM 308 (June/July 2017). There are many bullet designs bearing the name Keith, but a semi-wadcutter design does not make it a Keith bullet. Guaranteed Safe Checkout. Number of Views: 5750, Published on 10-20-2014 09:12 PM But there are limits to the bigger-is-better scenario, based upon your tolerance to recoil. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. For a general-purpose, one-size-fits-all approach, I usually size cast bullets from .430 to .431 inch. The idea of .44 Special for Everyday Workin' Loads is a relatively lightweight sixgun, around 1/2 lb. First, not all guns are of equal strength - some will handle significantly greater pressures, while others cannot. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. The Special's inherent accuracy stems from a previous design. does not engender a reputation as a "hot" cartridge. Cases for the .44 Special are straight-walled, so carbide sizers further streamline the loading process. A Smith & Wesson Model 1950 Target 24-6 (middle) .44 Special with a 6.5-inch barrel was used to develop the accompanying data. It is safe in any good post WWII Special, anddependably accurateif you usesoft alloy bullets, ~BHN 9,correctly sized for the revolver. . bullet at 900 fps left little to be desired. Meet the all-new Taurus Judge Executive Grade, a revolver featuring a hand-polished satin finish, presentation-grade wood grips, a brass rod front sight and an exceptional hand-tuned trigger. Minimal leading. Magtech FMJ ammunition delivers reliable, accurate performance on the range. It shares the same cylinder length as the Model 29-5 (bottom) rather than the short cylinder of the original Model 1950 Target (top). For lead bullets near 900 FPS, I recommend a GC (Gas Check), the little copper bottom on the lead bullet as below (5th item from left). This bullet is still widely popular. You want a light push fit through the cylinder throats. Much also depends on the particular model, age, and condition of the .44 spl. Since then, even the .44 Magnum's performance has been eclipsed by several bigger bore and more powerful handgun cartridges. While the original intent of the .44 Special may have been as a target round, savvy handgunners havelong since used the cartridge for informal shooting and the taking of small to medium game at moderate ranges. This load significantly increased the effectiveness of the cartridge while still being easily managed when shooting fast with double- action sixguns. ), (See note on Powders below or read all about various Powders.). Select medium-burning pistol powders often gave outstanding accuracy while offering low extreme spreads and a modest muzzle report. . During 1927 and 1928 he designed the well-known Lyman/Ideal .44- caliber No. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. That changed when Elmer Keith and the other .44 Associates of the 1920s and 1930s began handloading it to its maximum potential; then, the .44 Spl. Magtech Cowboy Action Ammunition 44 Special 240 Grain Lead Flat Nose Box of 50. .44 Special (Hodgdon Data) reloading data with 130 loads. For reloading .44 Mag, faster-burning powders are better for practice ammo while the slow-burners are better for maximum velocities. Handgun Data. 5.6 gr . If you shoot the Skeeter Load with hard bullets you can crack the barrel extension on your revolver. Subscriber Services. My favorite load with this bullet is 7.5 grains of TiteGroup for a modest velocity of 745 fps, light recoil and one-hole groups. Contest void where prohibited by law. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. SWC, 240 gr. As to the heavier, 240-grain lead bullets, samples from Hornady and Speer were included. Top performing examples include Hodgdon Longshot, Accurate No. The sole reason for the low pressure limit on the 44 Special was the existence of those wonderful Spanish copies of N-frame S&W's. The .44 Special was introduced in about 1907 and is an extremely accurate cartridge. Chris Johnson, FN Senior Product Manager, walks us through two new FN striker-fired pistols at SHOT Show 2023: the FN 510 Tactical, chambered in 10mm Auto, and the FN 545 Tactical, chambered in .45 ACP. 429421 bullet to improve the .44 Specials accuracy and terminal performance. Medium-burn-rate powders, such as Alliant Power Pistol, Unique, Hodgdon CFE Pistol, Winchester AutoComp and Accurate No. Standard pressure loads are suitable for all guns and are within SAAMI specifications of 15,500 psi. 2 alloy), and no leading was noted. Since I cast my own, I have a choice of H&G #503, Lyman #429421, NEI #260.429 and the RCBS #44-250KT bullets. 5 are top choices for loads that push standard weight (250-grain) bullets between 900 to 1,000 fps. But I'll trade a little sootiness & extra recoil for the added assurance. To comply with the new e-Privacy directive, we need to ask for your consent to set the cookies. Paper punching, 4.5grs Bullseye under a 240-250gr SWC. SWC+GC, 265 gr. MD Smith has had a storied career from his family broadcasting AM radio business, to his 36 year career in TV broadcasting. Learn the difference between revolvers and semi-auto pistols and what makes them different. Using bullets from Hornady HP-XTP , Hornady FP-Cowboy, Hornady HP-XTP, Hornady SWC-HP or SWC, Hornady HP-XTP or CL-SIL. Unique is about the best all around powder, but if you want a slower burning powder, I suggest 2400. Accurate 43-257H 260 gr SWC in a 5 1/2 " Special, 4.8 grains Tightgroup gave me 700 fs with low SD and excellent accuracy. They are true magnum bullets, featuring a heavy jacket and 1 1/2% antimony core, yet they will expand reliably at 44 Special velocities. There are plenty of bullet weights and styles available for reloading the .44 Special: (from left) 180-gr. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. The point being, the overall length of straight-wall, sixgun cartridges is a crucial measurement in relation to pressure and velocities. For example, Smith & Wesson N-frame revolvers have historically featured throats that measure .431 to .432 inch, though two L-frame revolvers and a recently manufactured Model 24-6 measured .4285 to .429 inch. First, not all guns are of equal strength some will handle significantly greater pressures, while others cannot. Learn from CBA members that have been casting their entire life. By comparison, revolvers typically chambered for the Special are lighter, handier and better suited for everyday belt carry. I replicate that load with a Lyman 246 grain round nose or a Magma 240 grain round nose and 5.0 grains of Bullseye in my Ruger Bisley Flat Top. The .44 Special was formally introduced by Smith & Wesson in 1907. Montana Bullet Works offers quality hand-cast bullets, such as the 280-grain LFN-PB and 250-grain LFN-GC. 30 days easy returns; 100% money back guarantee. The CBA is a international organization of shooters who enjoy casting and shooting lead alloy bullets for competition, hunting, experimenting, and casual shooting. Purchase A PDF Download Of The American Handgunner Nov/Dec 2020 Issue Now! My standard choice for loading the .44 Special is whats normally known as the Keith bullet. Bullseye, Unique and 2400 are products of Alliant (formerly Hercules) Powders. Factory loads are readily available and range into the dozens, but reloading is the way to go. I dont know why. I have listed the Colt Single Action Army and New Frontier revolvers in Category 2 (22,000 psi). bullet. Add to cart. With 5.5 to 6.0 grains of Red Dot, that same bullet does yeoman service in target loads, too. Keith 429244 and 7.5 Unique. The 225-gr. ", "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul, Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor. 5 Accurate No. Put one through the slats of a snow shoe bunny and you have an instant "stopper" and no lost meat. SWC-JHP, .44 with 250 . Joseph Von Benedikt shows his custom 500 and how well it shoots. I do use it from time to time, however its more than I want for an everyday workin load at 1,200 fps with a 260-gr. Unique is a great powder to use and have on your bench. I can't agree more. It is just a guide and the reason you should start under these charges and work up. A charge of 5.5 to 6.5 grains of Red Dot with just about any decent bullet - jacketed or cast - almost always results in adequate velocity, uniform ballistics and terrific accuracy. Whether it's punching paper, whacking steel, hunting or protecting what's yours, the .44 Special makes a lot of sense. The 200- and 240-grain Oregon Trail RNFP bullets are good choices for cowboy action competitors. . we are talking about. They are accurate in Smith & Wesson and other guns with a .430-inch groove diameter. Were not looking for long-distance hunting or max power. Left to right:- 250 gr. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. 429421 250-grain bullet (left) and the Lyman/Thompson No. The .44 Special is often ranked as one of the best revolver cartridges of all time. The .44 Special is based on the black-powder .44 Russian case that earned a superb accuracy reputation in domestic and international target competition. Other items may require special handling and be shipped through UPS . ($0.15 per bullet) Ships today from MidwayUSA. (This was prior to the organization of SAAMI in 1926, resulting in the standardization of ammunition specifications and pressures.). In 1953 Keith traveled to the Smith & Wesson and Remington plants to further discuss the matter, at which time he suggested they lengthen the case and make it a .44 Magnum, which became a reality in late 1955. DO NOT use Magnum loads in .44 Specal Cases. We manufacture Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition and much more. Taurus Marketing Manager Caleb Giddings highlights the features of the new Taurus Raging Hunter 460 Magnum, a purpose-built revolver with a 10.5-inch barrel and an effective recoil-taming brake, with Guns & Ammo Executive Editor Joe Kurtenbach.

The Drive Radio Station Tucson, Colby Community College Wrestling Coach, Voorhees High School Student Dies, Helicopter Jobs In Idaho, Articles OTHER