do pros bend their irons stronger

Strong lofts are only part of the equation that today's golf club engineers use to help you hit their irons further. Never go more than 2 degrees when making adjustments. Why do Pro's and some amatures have their irons bent 1* stronger. Once you know what your lie angles are - keep a note if you like, then you can easily know if another brand's irons need adjusting. but, best to check for real by hitting shots with them anyway. more upright = more of a draw, more flat= fade. Have wondered why he always had a little fade with his Mizuno mp32 and mp67 irons but much less so with Callaway X16 irons. Could be the flatter lie angles. If you feel like you are spinning the 6 too much for a certain type of shot on a particular day, hit a knock down 5 iron or scrub some speed off the 6. Believe it or not, my spin loft used to be worse, but I'm kind of in a rut right now. When watching PGA tour on TV, sometimes we are surprised by the distance that the pros hit with their iron. Bending Golf Clubs: Should I Do it and How? I had a lot of success bringing my spin rate and trajectory down to something more playable in the wind by tweaking the lofts a little strong. I guess I need to build up the full set with x100 and see how my gapping would be from iron to iron. Please put and questions or comments here, Please put any questions or comments here. So I'm in the process of getting new irons and I'm curious about the idea of getting them bent a degree or two strong. Looking For Advice or Feedback, Stealth 3 Wood, Unique Odyssey, RTX Raw, Epic Flash, Ping Eye 2 BeCu 1 iron - $1,000here me out, Your Choice of EvnRoll ER11v Mallets ($210). AP2 irons are forged and can be bent with no problem, BUT I would recommend taking them to someone who does this for a living. Hi Greyson, Bending your irons strong will reduce the bounce of the club. United States. [quote name='AustinA' timestamp='1444322114' post='12428254'] You can also bend the angles to a consistent specification precisely fit for any golfer. [quote name='Dan Drake' timestamp='1441041993' post='12239944'] While some golfers can afford such a price tag to improve their clubs, others will balk at it! This is often the case with cheaper branded golf clubs that are mass-produced, as less attention to detail is paid by the manufacturers. Most launch monitors are not very friendly to lefties so I don't even bother. I've noticed that some of the higher launching/spinning players on tour (Rory, J-Day, etc) have their irons bent strong and I'm looking to hear some pro's and con's of doing this. When you consider the fact that bending your golf clubs can make them easier to hit, you can see that its a great value for money option to consider, particularly when compared to investing in a new set of game improvement golf clubs. Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS. Look at a face on vid at impact and notice hand/front wrist position. It wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly why Jason Day chooses to play 4-P all bent a club strong. Perhaps he likes the look of offset and that's how he chooses to get it done. [quote name='bigo2398' timestamp='1444240339' post='12423306'] [/quote] ), Undersize Golf Grips Explained (8 Key Facts!). Even with the knowledge of club bending and its importance on your play, there are a lot of misconceptions about what can and cant be done with a clubs loft and lie. After all, manufacturing golf clubs and ensuring the loft and angle on each club is no easy feat, so its not something that you should experiment with. I think I know the answer, but would love to hear everyone's reasons. AutoFlex Golf Shaft Review: 8 Crucial Facts Before You Buy! You would still have to take the next club down to get to the distance you want. Club bending can go wrong pretty easily, and its a mistake that you dont want to make with your irons! In addition, once a club is bent to a given specification, it will stay there until changed by an outside force of either bending again or striking a hard object. A 4 iron only has 1 degree of bounce standard so will I have negative bounce when bent two degrees strong? [/quote] Believe it or not, my spin loft used to be worse, but I'm kind of in a rut right now. So I'm in the process of getting new irons and I'm curious about the idea of getting them bent a degree or two strong. Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300 There are the following reasons why you want to bend a club head. You probably have hair as well. My wingspan finger tip to finger tip is 78". Thanks everybody for the help! I'm also a very high spin player and I'm thinking this might help keep my iron distances consistent, especially when playing in the wind which I often do. Move it more downline untill you achieve the desired trajectory. Setting aside the discussion about why lofts are getting stronger, I was wondering why someone would bend the lofts strong rather than use the next club in the bag and swing smooth. [img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]. When i play alone i use the 3-4 and 5 irons more to see how i hit them but otherwise i use 18 - 21 and 24 degree hybrids as they are just a no brainer on how they are a better choice for someone who has a slower swing speed .. however i wiish i could still hit irons instead every round .. You can post now and register later. [/quote] To do this I will need to bend the 6 iron - PW 1 degree stronger. But is bending your golf clubs really a good idea? Of course the 4* bend is just to illustrate the point but it's better than describing everything in fractions of clubs. so with that said my stronger lofts were nothing more than trying to maintain past iron distances , i would love to be able to hit a 47 or 48 degree pw 120 yrs or even a 155 to 160 yr 7 iron but age and injuries have seem to make that a next to impossible task I'm curious about this as well. Paste as plain text instead, Paste as plain text instead, Setting aside the discussion about why lofts are getting stronger, I was wondering why someone would bend the lofts strong rather than use the next club in the bag and swing smooth. There does seem to be an abrupt cut off on the minimum iron loft at slower swing speeds. You're actual numbers are really not that bad, they a bit over the PGA tour average but I'm not sure it's worth adjusting all your clubs over. 9-iron - 39.5 degrees. [quote name='bigo2398' timestamp='1441037749' post='12239474'] He had me hit on a board and said that I needed 1/2 inch long. Maybe different shafts could reduce dynamic loft and reduce spin some but not a lot. I have some of my irons bent 2* strong. Have you experimented with different shafts? Do you have any recommendations for drills or things to practice in order to improve it? Ordering & Information Every set of clubs sold should have some sort of custom work on them if fitted properly. While golf club manufacturers certainly try to make a consistent product, there are often inconsistencies in the lofts and lies of the clubs and they may not be progressively consistent from one club to another. After all, you dont want to ruin the make-up of your clubs by getting your angles wrong or by using a homemade contraption. get to work on improving your spinloft with your irons (I'm assuming this gets really really bad with you shortest clubs). Pros and cons? Upload or insert images from URL. Another thing to note is that a manufacturers new set of clubs doesnt mean their lofts are completely accurate. Oddly, despite several swing changes over many years have consistently need a couple of degrees upright (Ping green code equivalnet, i think..). wil wait and see after my present promising swing changes.! 7 iron 34 165 [/quote] We've chosen this model as it is a popular iron that suits a wide range of players from low handicappers to game improvers. It has to do with posture and arm length and swing arc. The most popular brand is Golfsmith which manufactures high-quality loft/lie bending machines. Cleveland RTX4 Raw, Low Bounce 55*, Tour Issue DG S400. 2. Why is it so popular to bend your irons 2 degrees up? Mickesgolf [quote name='bigo2398' timestamp='1444240339' post='12423306'] Its all about ball flight and gaps. [/quote] Currently I'm playing 712 MB's with x100 shafts at standard loft. Thanks for everybody for your help! Hogan was big into this. Mickesgolf Do you have any recommendations for drills or things to practice in order to improve it? They should be leading and flat. So, for the sake of your irons, take your clubs to a custom fitter if you plan on bending them. TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* flat, Recoil ESX 460 R. Callaway MD5 46*, Tour Issue DG S200. Started Yesterday at 10:25 AM, Please put and questions or comments here, Please put any questions or comments here. I had a lot of success bringing my spin rate and trajectory down to something more playable in the wind by tweaking the lofts a little strong. And provided the hosel of the wood is long enough to allow the bending bar to fit over its length, metal woods can be bent to custom-fit a player. You could just buy them cut down half an inch and lies bent accordingly, which would maintain the same look. Display as a link instead, Your previous content has been restored. [/quote] Did I just answer my owne questions, do pro's bend the clubs stronger to have less bounce? Forged irons should be checked every year or 2 anyway for loft/lie. They know how much torque to put on the hozzel. Does the aggressive swing impart that much more dynamic loft and create that much more spin? WRXer 'harpu728' kicks off the thread saying: "Being that higher-lofted irons within the same set are easier to hit (i.e. Looking For Advice or Feedback, Stealth 3 Wood, Unique Odyssey, RTX Raw, Epic Flash, Ping Eye 2 BeCu 1 iron - $1,000here me out, Your Choice of EvnRoll ER11v Mallets ($210), Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Putter and Stitch Polo XXL NWT, NEW Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 deg. YOU have to be in control of trajectory in your iron play, tweaking your specs is just a bandaid. [quote name='HandsomeMatt' timestamp='1441040098' post='12239780'] Thanks! Repeat a few times for checking, and can check a few different irons ie 7 and 9 and 5 etc to confirm your general tendency. Setting aside the discussion about why lofts are getting stronger, I was wondering why someone would bend the lofts strong rather than use the next club in the bag and swing smooth. The key variable ( among other variables) is the distance from your wrists to the ground at address. Do you have any recommendations for drills or things to practice in order to improve it? So, unless you plan on bending a significant number of golf clubs (and you plan on doing it more than once), it makes much more sense to pay a club-fitter to bend your golf clubs on your behalf. I am now thinking I am just going to bend my 712 Ap2 irons to the 714 AP2 specs so my gaps will match up better with my wedges. Forged titanium models are bendable as well due to their softer titanium structure. GIVEAWAY! 6-iron spin: 6850 RPM. get to work on improving your spinloft with your irons (I'm assuming this gets really really bad with you shortest clubs). Currently I'm playing 712 MB's with x100 shafts at standard loft. I have mine bent 2 degrees strong and cannot see any visible difference. Using an example of bending a full club strong, say 4*, what's the difference in hitting a 7 iron at *32 to hitting a 6 iron at *32. And that changes the flight of the ball right? Epoxy Curing Times for Golf Clubs, Work Life and Shear Strength. [quote name='bigo2398' timestamp='1444240339' post='12423306'] When buying shoes I noticed a lot of the shoes in the stores inventory were size 10. Ping G400 Testing G410. What bouncedoes is keep the leading edge from digging into the ground. It seems like some of you are talking about loft and some are talking about lie angle. Display as a link instead, 6-iron spin: 6850 RPM '19 Apex Pro 5-A w/PX [/color] [color=#282828]This made me wonder about messing with lofts and bounce (not to mention offset). TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, Garsen Ultimate grip. Believe it or not, my spin loft used to be worse, but I'm kind of in a rut right now. Can then bend the irons to get the sole level at impact - or with Ping you'll order them to suit.

Adam Fox Michigan, How Old Is Tyrel Jackson Williams, Articles D