donnie sumner obituary

Singing his first solo in church at the age of 7, Donnie studied to be a classical vocalist and a classical pianist, turning down a scholarship at the Julliard School of Music to go to a Christian College'. . Elvis said well I'm not coming there, Elvis said if they want a record they can come here and get it. Hes got a good voice. Blackwood himself was part of another quartet at the First Assembly in Memphis, the Songfellows, and Presley wanted to join. Its at that point that I lay aside all my stage skills, all my humor and just tell them the cold, hard facts. As he said in his autobiography, "Gospel music is more than standing on a stage or a way to make a living. He was 73. I wouldn't be on the road as much as I am, staying away from my family, if it were not so. They often worked in Memphis where Sumner befriended the young Elvis Presley, sneaking him into the concerts when Elvis could not afford the 50 cents admission. They unloaded tons of recording equipment. Kistler-Patterson Funeral Home - Olney Sumner was born May 30, 1947, in Irwin County, Georgia, to the late Leonard & Lois Roberts Sumner. I never talked to J.D. I wouldve dug a ditch just to get straight and live. Link to index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1573&Itemid=3009, Jason Scheff Talks About Generation Radio, His Dad, and What's On His Radar, Bob Gruen's Studio - Sly Stone at NYC's Madison Squaare Garden 1973, Bob Gruen's Studio - Labelle-1972-and-Vicki-Wickham-OBE. He looked distinctive with his grey hair and hand cupped over his ear as though he were receiving personal messages from the Saviour. Their performance of 'Softly, As I Leave You' was nominated for a Grammy when released posthumously in 1978) and Donnie Sumner had just left The Stamps. Joe Moscheo, who was a keyboard player and singer with The Imperials when they backed up Elvis from 1969 to 1972. Interment will follow in the church cemetery. As he said in his autobiography, "Gospel music is more than standing on a stage or a way to make a living. They were booked for Elvis In Concert at Wembley Arena in January 1999 in which Elvis's backing musicians and singers will accompany a video of Elvis singing. Couple those people in certain religious environments and you definitely have an environment for interesting stories ripe for the picking. Sumner, was a legendary musical figure'. We were around the piano in Palm Springs, having a good time. He was a member and deacon of Bethany Missionary Baptist Church. There was only one sinless life and he died so that I could get over mine.. If I ever see him coming down my street I always make sure hes not turning into my drive! If we can inspire people to live better lives, we've performed a ministry.". THE ELVIS YEARS When you hit bottom, you aint got no place to fall. Elvis relaxed by singing gospel favourites and, fortunately, an impromptu jam session with the Stamps was recorded in 1972. Echovita Inc is a registered trademark. He is definitely dead. Local obituaries for Blountstown, Florida. It was more or less a social thing for the first few years and it progressed', Donnie said. He said, I want you to come up and sing at the funeral. I said, Aw, Uncle Jake, he aint dead. Included we see a live performance of the elusive Long Tall Sally seen here for the first time ever. A valid email address is required when you select contact by email. Both Donnie and J. D. were closely associated with the late ELVIS PRESLEY on both his stage appearances and his recordings. Jay Bonds and the Rev. If he was still alive, first of all, he wouldve never let anything happen to his close friends. And Ive got one that Elvis talks to her all the time. Then Donnie Sumner spoke beautifully abouthis uncle and about his own fight against drug abuse; I don't think therewas a dry eye in the house. Donnie was also afforded the honor of having a solo appearance in the Elvis documentary, " ELVIS ON TOUR" in which he was featured on the gospel song, "THE LIGHTHOUSE". Sherrill Nielsen had just left The Statesmen Quartet, (Elvis loved Sherrill as he could hit notes higher than a normal tenor, and Elvis had him to . George's wife, Tammy Wynette, passed away. Within a year, Elvis Presley was dead. My only desire is to cause somebodys life to be better because I passed through it. Having devoted over forty years of his own life to the world of music, Donnie has carried on the tradition of others in his family who have also made their mark in this industry. Raised in poverty, he earned a fortune, then gave away most of it. A kid had a local newspaper and I could see the headline that said something to the effect of, Elvis Heart Attack Victim. Having served his denomination as Minister of Music, Evangelist and Pastor, Donnie is presently involved in an inter-faith, multi-media music ministry presenting CONCERT OF PRAISE under the banner of SPIRIT MINISTRIES. They were nominated for Grammy awards with the albums Victory Road (1990) and Peace In The Valley (1991) and they were featured on Tammy Wynette's final album, Inspirational Favourites (1998). Sign Guestbook. Kenneth Alan Shaw. Then the Stamps sang three songs, including "I Can Feel the Touch of HisHand," my favorite J.D. He was a graduate of Irwin County High School and served his country honorably in the United States Army during the . He was born in Marshes Siding, Kentucky on May 22, 1947 the son of Jerome and Nellie (Bryant) Sumner. That guys got a lot of stage skills. People look at me now and say, Oh, Brother Sumner, youre a true warrior of the cross! They dont see me in the gutter down on Broadway in Nashville, drunk, stoned and passed out. Elvis Presley's songs are unforgettable - they have stood the test of time, especially his singles of the 1950s, a decade in which he had a song at No. THE EARLY YEARS Devoting his life style during this period to faithful discipleship and growing in the "grace and knowledge" of his new found "Lord", Donnie served as "Praise Leader" for one of Nashville's leading "Full Gospel" churches. At some point, he wouldve come back because he loved life and he loved music. For Engagements Contact: Presley recorded three gospel albums. You can hit the bottom in the presidency or you can hit the bottom on skid row. They got together to make some music and wound up with 'The Tennessee Rangers'. Elvis' guitarist, James Burton flew in, Charlie Hodge played acoustic guitar, Donnie Sumner played the piano with Voice supplying bass. I hate to say it, but I turned into a stone drug addict'. Gospel music is my life." John Daniel Sumner, singer: born . I dont hear many stories of that sort of thing because theyre not close friends and only a close friend would tell you a story like that.. Im not a scoundrel any more, thanks to Jesus. His parents; brother, Donnie Sumner; and sisters, Reba Faye Sumner, Myrtle Tucker, Minnie New, and Mary Murphy precede him in death. At Elvis' request, they were flown to Vegas to sing backup on the Tom Jones show, and at the end of that engagement, Elvis signed the three voices: Donnie Sumner, Sherrill Nielsen and Tim Baty to be his personal gospel group, and he changed their name to 'Voice' (the name actually came from a religious periodical Elvis received). Sumner and the Stamps." J.D.'s voice earned him a Grammy, a spot in the GMA Hall of Fame and in the Guinness Book of World Records for the lowest bass voice. Even if you're not familiar with world of southern gospel, chances are, you've heard Donnie sing. "MR. SONG MAN" and "I MISS YOU". 'He had a pitch problem. If I can do it by just walking around and being friendly, Ill do it. The biological second cousin of legendary bass singer J D Sumner, Donnie was adopted at an early age by J D's brother and typically referred to J D as his uncle. Prepare a personalized obituary for someone you loved.. April 19, 1952 - Donnie Sumner is a Southern Gospel singer and songwriter. In 1963 James Blackwood purchased a gospel music publishing company from Frank Stamps. J.D. Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up with the latest from Boomerocity.com. 2023 Boomerocity.comAll Rights Reserved. . That was the last time I ever talked to him face-to-face. I attended J.D. 's face, I did not approach the bier. He didnt say that I wasnt!. Sumner agreed and the Stamps Quartet joined Elvis in November 1971. Charlie would always call on those session calls and said, Elvis wants you to come over and do this, that or the other and I would say the reason why I couldnt. Donnie cleaned up his life and took a long break from performing. He is included in The Guinness Book of Records as the world's lowest bass singer. Roy Conner officiating. Elvis Australia was founded in 1996 www.elvis.com.au was literally born from the concept of wanting to represent 'Elvis in Australia', so www.elvis.com.au Read more. "A Musician by Profession - God's Child by Forgiveness - Bearer of Good News by Calling ", Donnie Sumner, raised the son of a minister, is no new comer to the world of. Web: Obituary Daily Times Index, 1995-2016. Contemporary gospel singerMark Lowry told some funny stories about his six-year friendship with J.D. About Donnie Sumner. He said Elvis did not have an ideal voice for singing gospel but made up for it by conveying the power and emotion of the music. 73-year-old Sumner was found dead of a heart attack in his hotel room in Myrtle Beach, SC. Upon hearing the news, Elvis told Donnie that he was proud of him and said that he wished that he could go somewhere and start over but 'I guess I got to keep on being Elvis'. In December of 1979 with the encouragement and blessings of his Pastor, Donnie relinquished his music company to his Brother and business partner and yielded his life and talents to total Christian service and entered into full time "ministry". This site is sponsored as public resource by the independent funeral homes repesented here. In the end, every one of my songs says that no matter where you're at or what you're involved in, you can make it. You dont have to put on a football helmet and run at the gates of Heaven. I came back years later and was the associate pastor of that church. He was also a notable gospel songwriter and among his compositions are "The Old Country Church", "Crossing Chilly Jordan", "He Means All The World To Me", "Inside The Gate" and "Lord, Teach Me How To Pray". And as if to vindicate his original desire to be a gospel singer, Presley's only three Grammy awards were given for his own gospel-music recordings. Interview with Larry Muhoberac Interview with John Wilkinson Interview with Michael Jarrett, songwriter, I'm Leavin' Interview with James Burton Interview with James Burton Sydney Australia 2006 James Burton: First Call For The Royalty Of Rockabilly Interview with Ronnie Tutt Interview with Ronnie Tutt #2 Interview with Jerry Scheff Interview with Glen D. Hardin Interview with Sherrill Nielsen Interview with Terry Blackwood & Jim Murray Interview with Tony Brown Duke Bardwell Interview with Scotty Moore Bill Black Interview with D.J. three goals, startin at the bottom: To put down on a piece of paper as much of my story as I could to tell my grandkids. Sherrill still had the bandages around my head and during the song, blood started running down his forard. Hes alive!, Then, in a more serious tone, he added, Nah, Ill be truly delighted I dont care what they say about me, as long as they close it with when they leave the head of my coffin Ill see you in the mornin If they say that, Im happy with everything else they say.. Elvis, naturally, is irreplaceable but so is Sumner; few singers can hit the lowest G on the piano. ), Donnie found time to write a book. Donnie Sumner Play artist More actions Listeners 263 Scrobbles 1,439 Join others and track this artist Scrobble, find and rediscover music with a Last.fm account Sign Up to Last.fm Donnie Sumner is the nephew of JD Sumner and was lead singer for the stamps dureing the days of backing Elvis Presley. In 1976, Donnie was doing $200 of cocaine and a handful of Quaaludes a day. Sumner and Mary Sumner and three siblings, Pete Sumner, Frieda Key and Gail Roddenberry. He was a Glynn County firefighter and a painter. wasimpressed by their arrangement of the song.) Right now Donnie is an OWNER AND MANAGER at Donnie Sumner. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Presley's style of gospel singing was reverential, in contrast to his rambunctious rock 'n' roll vocalizing, but he had a penchant for songs with big endings. Their regular bass singer, Richard Sterban, soon left to join the Oak Ridge Boys. Everything that I have, I'll ever be, what I've got and all I'll ever have, I have to say thanks be to God for it all, because when I found him, I had nothing', he said. Thats the gospel truth! 'How Great Thou Art' (1967) won Elvis his first Grammy for Best Sacred Album. Donnie Sumner (Glenn), Pink Hill, NC. 'He had a pitch problem. In 1965 he became the lead vocalist and arranger for J. D. Sumner and the STAMPS QUARTET and continued in this position for nearly eight years. But I never talked to Elvis again face-to-face. Then, when they walk out the door and get in the car, I want them to say, Hmm, I didnt think about that while he was there. Donnies uncle, the late J.D. Bill had worked as a Sawyer in Logging, and enjoyed watching Westerns and the Outdoors. During his tenure of service as a "Stamp", Donnie was also awarded the SESAC AWARD as "Best Country Songwriter" in 1969 and was nominated in 1970 for a GRAMMY AWARD by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Science (NARAS) in the category of "Country Song of the Year for his work entitled "THE THINGS THAT MATTER". Emily, Jaedyn, Dylan Legg and Tristan Tucker; her sister Joan Lomas of Olney; her boyfriend Donnie Wininger of Sumner; and her nieces and nephews, Wanda Rice, Terri Bailey, Kevin . We were singing duet on 'Spanish Eyes'.Linda Thompson's taped that, because she gave David Briggs a copy, and David gave me a copy. 's funeral yesterday. It was funny. It was during this time period that Donnie was seen on the Elvis, worldwide satellite television spectacular, "ALOHA FROM HAWAII ". This video remembers Donald Lee Sumner, Jr, who passed away from Covid in December 2020. The Stamps were EdEnoch, Ed Hill, and Rick Strickland (the youngest member of the group) andno one couldn't have noticed that they sang the old arrangements without abass singer. Donnie boldly and sincerely proclaims, nation-wide the "good news" that "IN JESUS THERE IS A NEW LIFE, AN ABUNDANT LIFE AND THE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE". I had been involved in the drug culture ever since I entered the industry. Would you like to offer Phoebe R. Harrisons loved ones a condolence message? I hung up the phone and I started trying to find a flight to Memphis. All you gotta do is believe and, if you believe in your heart that Jesus Christ came, lived and died, was buried and raised from the grave and is coming back, you are as righteous, you are as saved, you are as Heaven-ready as Billy Graham or any other big TV evangelist that ever stood on the face of this earth. She was predeceased by : her parents, George H. Thomas and Mary Elizabeth Thomas (Carson); her spouse Carman "C. L." Harrison; and her siblings, Connie Dressback and George H. Thomas, Jr.. She is survived by : her children, Jerry Tucker (Melissa Sechrest) of Sumner and Tasha Legg (Matt) of Sumner; her grandchildren, Destiny, Emily, Jaedyn, Dylan Legg and Tristan Tucker; her sister Joan Lomas of Olney; her boyfriend Donnie Wininger of Sumner; and her nieces and nephews, Wanda Rice, Terri Bailey, Kevin Poland, James Wesley Lomas, Troy Thomas and Timmy Thomas. Music was in his blood and eventually he returned to the stage, this time with a much different focus'.I don't really consider it 'show business', it's just me', he said. Donald Sumner Donald "Donnie" Sumner, of Adel, Ga., died March 25, 2020. Hes got a great presentation and I really enjoyed it. Receive obituaries from the city or cities of your choice. The DVD Contains recently discovered unreleased film of Elvis performing 6 songs, including Heartbreak Hotel and Don't Be Cruel, live in Tupelo Mississippi 1956. Well, my daddy was Pentecostal when Pentecostal wasn't cool. about what he thought when I left but he was certainly proud of me. Until Now! It was exciting and I think Im going to tell my friends what a great program he does.. Since childhood his favorite form of entertainment has been "GOSPEL MUSIC" with styles ranging from "Foot-stompin' - hand-clappin' revival tunes" to what has become known in today's market as contemporary sacred music. Like so many Southern singers of his generation, he sang in church from an early age, and when his voice broke he became the bass singer with the Sunshine Boys. I had no idea what I was going to do when I quit the one I was in.. If you sit at a piano and hit the further key on the left, its two notes below that. Tuesday, April 25, 2023. You can send your sympathy in the guestbook provided and share it with the family. Elvis insisted his backup groups gather to sing gospel music after his concerts, sometimes until dawn. Before the ceremony began, the coffin was open and although Icould see J.D. I wont go into the personal reasons why I know but J.D. Hes been going to do this for years and he finally did it. In 1956 the Blackwood Brothers Quartet found national acclaim when they won Arthur Godfrey's television talent show. Copyright 1999 2023 Dave Maurer I said, Uncle Jake, are you sure that Elvis is dead? He went through all these things. He said, I am absolutely certain. After a 10-year layoff, the megastar had decided to hit the road again. I tried to make car arrangements. McDuff soon exited the Stamps for the McDuff Brothers, and Donnie Sumner . Ronald Dale "Ronnie" Sumner, 74, of Irwin County, Georgia, died Tuesday, September 14, 2021, at his residence. If you sit at a piano and hit the further key on the left, it's two notes below that. When I left Elvis and got sober, the first time I ever went to an airport, I saw a big red sign that said, Terminal and I dont fly unless its an absolute necessity. That's my story, and that's my song'. Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in, Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile. He was born in Marshes Siding, Kentucky on May 22, 1947 the son of Jerome and Nellie (Bryant) Sumner. Donnie Sumner: By profession, I'm a musician. 1 albums ('56-'59). I have it on that record. Retrieved May 16, 2020, from Donnie Sumner website: http://www.donniesumner.com/about_donnie.asp. He passed away in November of 1998; just three days shy of his 74th birthday. After spending time in a couple of different groups, he finally got the call from Uncle J.D. 615-512-7565 "My first three years with Elvis was as a backup vocalist. Donnie Sumner, "The Lighthouse" - video by Susan Quinn Sand 55,607 views Jun 8, 2016 Jeff Lewis and Friends Gospel Show at end of Tupelo Elvis Festival 2016, Sunday, 6-5-2016 465 Dislike Share. But Elvis never forgot Donnie. Both Donnie and J. D. were closely associated with the late ELVIS PRESLEY on both his stage appearances and his recordings. to join his group, the Stamps, as a pianist. ", Hi ELVIS Friends, This is a great tribute to a great man wish I could have been there. George Younce, bass singer for. That's the chain of events that happened from struggling artist to big artist. Leave your condolences to the family on this memorial page or send flowers to show you care. Only the big ones. The group's only UK appearance came when they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980. confirmed those visible answers to the point that, if it was not Elvis in that casket, it was the greatest make-up job and greatest wax dummy ever known ever in human existence.. He used to talk a lot in the living room of all the funny ways he was going to disappear and what he was going to do while he was gone. The only personal responses have been how much they appreciate portraying the human, funny side of Elvis rather than all the negative stuff and they appreciate how I handle the subject of drugs and Christianity in the book. Then, after I bit on that hook of that serious answer, Donnie glided in with the rest of his answer . Elvis hired the group, which became Voice, Inc., to be part of his stage show and also to live with him and sing Gospel music for him at night. I just wanted to get out of the drugs and see if I could live. Ethan Hooker officiating. 'I don't think anyone could judge him', Moscheo said. God said that He wasnt going to remember my sins. They were the favourite group of Gladys Presley, Elvis's mother, and they sang at her funeral in 1958. J.D. I believe it was Ed Enoch who said the last song J.D. He always stressed the positive side of Presley's personality and never admitted that Elvis took anything other than prescription drugs. I was in tears. Entering this and that into the search form will return results containing both "this" and "that". Sumner at the 78 Dove Awards. Website Design and SEO by WorkSmart Business Solutions. With a closeness to this lineage of musical greatness, it was only natural that the younger Sumner would take an interest in the family business. in the Valley." George Richey spoke of how J.D. There was no between Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville there was not one single charter service nor commercial flight available for a trip to Memphis. I had no idea. The Cathedrals then sang two songs. Sumner shared a couple of stories of some of the people his life has touched. If I can do it with a Scripture, Ill do it. The story goes that in 1951, Elvis Presley, then 16, walked into the First Assembly of God in Memphis, Tenn., and struck up a friendship with another teenage boy, Cecil Blackwood. and show them here for you to give us your opinion. Christian Music Archive is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. If he wanted to kiss somebody or do karate, he'd point at me, and I'd hit the last note', Donnie said. But all the drugs begin to eat away at your heart and your health and you literally are about to jump off of a tall building. I love you. Echovita offers a solidarity program that gives back the funds generated to families. http://www.donniesumner.com/about_donnie.asp. The service beganwith a recording of a recent composition of J.D. Mrs. Dunn is survived by her children, Kathy Hall (Greg), Jimmy Dunn and. During his tenure of service as a "Stamp", Donnie was also awarded the SESAC AWARD as "Best Country Songwriter" in 1969 and was nominated in 1970 for a GRAMMY AWARD by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Science (NARAS) in the category of "Country Song of the Year for his work entitled "THE THINGS THAT MATTER". Youve seen Bob Gruens work in galleries, books, and on the official John Lennon stamp by the U.S. Post Office. He was born March 3, 1953, to Alma and Orba Sumner. He sang a beautiful song comparing Jesus to aship's captain. attleboro obituaries this past weekend; elder high school alumni directory; edgewood valley country club initiation fee; heartland mallory and jake wedding; Gallery By Industry. Special? which drive up our cost of staying online. The afternoon show footage is wonderful and electrifying : Here is Elvis in his prime rocking and rolling in front of 11.000 people. They wouldve never got into any legal problems and Lisa Marie wouldve never gotten into some of the stuff that shes gotten into. Boomerocity.com is a website dedicated to the cultural interests of the Baby Boomer Generation. That was the last time Donnie talked to Elvis face to face. HovieLister, Jake Hess, and James Blackwood spoke about the fun times they hadwith J.D. He was the most human Christian gentleman that I had ever known other than my father. Jesus is a new life, Jesus is an abundant life and Jesus is everlasting life'. John Daniel Sumner, nicknamed Jim Dandy or J.D., was born in Lakeland, Florida in 1924. You must have JavaScript enabled to use this form. Spirit Ministries / Att. Sumner. Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies. Colonel Parker called Elvis and told him RCA wanted a record, in four days he was going to be breach of contract. said that he would rent a limousine to bring me up there. J.D'.s 'zoom bass' was always a favorite of Elvis, who loved southern gospel music. Since childhood his favorite form of entertainment has been "GOSPEL MUSIC" with styles ranging from "Foot-stompin' - hand-clappin' revival tunes" to what has become known in today's market as contemporary sacred music. He tried to overdose on cocaine twice, attempting suicide three times. comforted him after. Funeral arrangement under the care ofKistler-Patterson Funeral Homes. On stage, Elvis would liken Sumner's voice to a B-52 bomber - and that was a compliment. as members of the Masters V and with Bill Baize they sang "Peace. Elvis Interviews , Elvis Articles , Elvis Biography , By David Adams. He can be seen on some of the Gather shows now. Copyright 2023 Echovita Inc. All rights reserved. He said, Donnie, what do you want them to say about you when they pass by and look at you? I said, Ed, I truly hope that somebody looks down at me and says, Golly! 'He embraced me and rather than jumping, I cried my way back to the room for a brand new beginning'. Recently, he was welcomed into the Bill Gaither 'Homecoming' family, performing alongside other legends of Gospel music. It was the only thing in this life that brought him relief', he said. It aint gonna be perfect tomorrow but, with Jesus living in ya, it can get better and better and better. called he called about one oclock in the afternoon on the day Elvis died I really didnt think that Elvis was dead. Donnie Sumner, a multi-talented veteran of musical performance, weaves together a fast-paced, well-planned, themed format of Sacred and Gospel repertoire, utilizing standard, as well as, his own original compositions. Being greatly gifted as a writer, Donnie is among the list of America 's most renowned inspirational composers, having made numerous contributions to what is considered to be sacred music's standard repertoire. I call my work a blind side ministry. Since childhood his favorite form of entertainment has been . with deadpan seriousness that contained the urge to burst out laughing.

Lancaster County Jail Mugshots, Ready Mix Concrete Cost Calculator, Dog Lenormand Combinations, Articles D