drexel basketball coaching staff

Drexel players kneeled for most of the 2020-21 season. There is no additional information to display. Larry Bird is not calling Drexel again any time soon. By taking advantage of this extensive network, more than 92 percent of NCSA verified athletes play at the college level. Conference regular season champion I think hes very creative hes always trying to do things a little different,' said Donahue, now down the street at Penn, noting that Spiker, whom he had hired on Beileins recommendation, really pushed him to start recruiting the Midwest when they were at Cornell, since they were not getting the East Coast recruits Donahue was first going for. On March 25, 2016, Spiker was hired as head coach of Drexel to replace former head coach Bruiser Flint. We had like 12 basketballs at the end of camp, for whatever reason, there were only 11 basketballs.. Before the season, Drexel head coach Zach Spiker emphasized having tough conversations with his players about the social climate in America. ), Know Your DOBO: Drexel | La Salle | Penn | St. Joes | Temple | Villanova. I actually delivered to ZZ Top, I delivered to the managers and they had the same beards. I was a volunteer assistant for two years afterwards, and to make money I delivered pizzas for Dominos, which was a fun experience. All rights reserved. Women's Rowing Men's Soccer Women's Soccer Swimming and Diving Water Polo Mailing Address: La Salle Athletics TruMark Financial Center 1900 West Olney Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19141 Ticket Office: 215-951-1999 Department Fax: 215-951-1694 Staff Directory Members By Category/Department Footer Special Assistant To Men's Basketball Coach, Director of Creative Services and Social Media. Copyright 2023 Drexel University. The Director of Basketball Operations, also known as the "DOBO," is the main man behind the scenes, with tasks ranging from scheduling practices to coordinating travel and class . Skip to main content. This isnt speculation, just a fact: The college hoops world noticing Drexel has nothing to do with a job search, just a job done. Not a big runner so Im not running anywhere, but Ill definitely bike or walk somewhere. 1) (April 30), 2023 Hoop Group Spring Jam Fest: Day Two Standouts (April 29), This website is powered by SportsEngine's. Brugler, Maisha And Im a Jets fan at heart but looking forward to going to Eagles games, going to a preseason game, Phillies concerts, I enjoy what Philly has to offer, its an awesome town to be in and live in. California residents do not sell my data request. Dont try to outsmart fate. Thats just how I was born but I feel like I serve our kids really well, who are here, and helping them, whether its taking care of them or taking care of the locker room or helping them with different things and developing that relationship than I would any other way. Hodges, Brianne When I first took the job, the smartest thing I ever did was I sat down with. ] Note: While head coaches get the headlines and assistant coaches do the bulk of the recruiting work, theres more to a Division I basketball coaching staff. LaClair, Sira Postseason invitational champion Gill, Hide/Show Additional Information For Tre Brown, Hide/Show Additional Information For Charles Smith IV, Hide/Show Additional Information For Dericko Williams, Hide/Show Additional Information For Faizon Fields, Hide/Show Additional Information For Cooper Jones, Hide/Show Additional Information For Bryce Baker. Along the way hes worked with future NBA talent, beaten cancer, delivered pizzas to celebrities and more. Extra years of eligibility will be. The 45-year-old is in his third year with Drexel, his first gig of any kind at a Division I school, after having worked for The Hoop Group for a decade prior as well as gaining some experience at the Division III level. In the 201213 season, Spiker lead Army to its first overall winning record since 198485 (a drought of 28 years), and also the Black Knights' first ever winning record in the Patriot League. Get Discovered by college coaches. The men's college basketball program of the Drexel University was founded in 1894 and is known competitively as the Drexel Dragons. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. Coordinator of Strategic and Player Development, Head Basketball Strength & Conditioning Coach, John and Jinnie Chapel Achieve Center & Dragon Lounge, Student-Athlete Social Responsibility: Hazing, TicketSmarter - Official Ticket Resale Marketplace, Hide/Show Additional Information For Keishana Washington, Hide/Show Additional Information For Hetta Saatman, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jalyn McNeill, Hide/Show Additional Information For Chloe Hodges, Hide/Show Additional Information For Brianne Borcky, Hide/Show Additional Information For Tori Hyduke, Hide/Show Additional Information For Grace O'Neill, Hide/Show Additional Information For Erin Sweeney, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jennifer Martin, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jasmine Valentine, Hide/Show Additional Information For Maura Hendrixson, Hide/Show Additional Information For Momo LaClair, Hide/Show Additional Information For Sira Ba. I can also look at [old] practice plans, right in front of me. Gannon, Rich Standard rates apply. He was talking about the one in 2016 that resulted in Zach Spiker coming to Drexel, although it does not matter which school is looking for a coach, how big or small the whole basketball world has a perfect candidate for the job. Sweeney, Jennifer Makeup still matters. CoBL 5. Im proud of our guys and I support our guys in how they choose to express themselves.. Im sure he thought they were all going to work., At a young age, hanging around Mountaineers athletes, I made sure he was old enough to be around. He was previously the head coach at Army.He attended The Hill School.. Bayigamba, Jamie CoBL: Wow, so how long have you been in remission? Washington, Hetta Radio, Television, and Digital Communication, Coed dorms, Sorority housing, Fraternity housing, Special housing for disabled students, Special housing for international students. Find out what coaches are viewing your Not the son of a coach, but of a trainer for West Virginias football team. There is no additional information to display: Its not my job to run the [AD] search. After my first year of grad school I was about to do housing for their basketball camps and the relationship changed, he trusted me and had me at practice, got to know his players, got to know his managers real well. I tried out for the team, didnt make the team; coach. Schwabe. And the other one is I delivered to Robbie Knievel, and he was supposed to do a show in Roanoke and two days earlier he got drunk or something stupid and got arrested and he had his thing pulled, so I delivered pizzas to him at the Holiday Inn at Roanoke. 2022-23 Women's Basketball Roster Go To Coaching Staff Print Roster Layout: Choose A Season: Sort By: Footer 2023 Penn State Nittany Lions / 1-800-NITTANY Privacy Policy Terms of Service. Johnson, DAngelo I had a great opportunity a year later to go down to Hargrave Military Academy and be the assistant post graduate coach, and work for, , and it was awesome, six years there was fantastic, I could be around some great basketball players, coach a couple former Sixers --. From the applicant pool, Spiker, the Army head coach at the time, had Zillmers quick attention, partly because the AD had deep family roots up at West Point. Williams, Yame Natural Resources Conservation and Research. Butler, Max Jeff Meyer, who worked with Spiker on the Winthrop staff two decades back, when Spiker was an unpaid graduate assistant, and remains a close friend and mentor, remembers visiting West Point with Beilein to study leadership there when Spiker was there, seeing Armys basketball coach set up little rest pods for players, to allow them to rest and refresh,' cutting practice a little shorter than it might be otherwise, since the two and a half hours typically devoted to basketball were a bit of a respite. This is where I want to be. Cellular Biology and Anatomical Sciences. Title. Connect with an admissions representative to receive additional details. 2) (April 28-30), 2023 Hoop Group Spring Jam Fest: Day Three Standouts (Pt. Those are kind of the highlights of things I like to do. I had to do it a couple of times just to tick him off, Spiker said. CZ: I dont know. Bergens, Shane More than 7,000 students, faculty, and staff participate in recreational programs at the University each year. The team has had 26 head coaches in its history, and they have made 4 appearances in theNCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship, including a first round victory in 1996. Okros, Amari Spiker, Will 2022-23 Box Scores. It was Drexels first tournament appearance since 1996. He emphasized putting action behind the conversations and made a significant contribution for Drexels new Center for Black Culture during the summer. As competitive as the next coach and sometimes as verbally chippy as most after losses Spiker also keeps track of the wider world, and has been known to check in when he spots some suffering going on. So making sure the team has pretty much our gear for the entire year, so we look uniform as a team going over there and represent Drexel the best we can. McNeill, Chloe Spiker hasnt shied away from these moments. According to information you submitted, you are under the age of 13. I recently bought a bike, so I like riding. Arts, Entertainment, and Media Management. Wade, Chaunce I had a great opportunity a year later to go down to Hargrave Military Academy and be the assistant post graduate coach, and work for Kevin Keatts and Mike Preston, and it was awesome, six years there was fantastic, I could be around some great basketball players, coach a couple former Sixers -- Sam Young, Marreese Speights, coached Joe Alexander who was a lottery pick. Business, Sports and Entertainment Management/Marketing, Other. Played high school basketball, wasnt that great. CoBL: When youre not in basketball mode, what do you like to do for fun? Phone. Saatman, Jalyn Kelly, Nick Most of Drexels players were seen kneeling during the national anthem prior to their NCAA Tournament game against Illinois to protest social injustices. Consent is not a condition of purchase. One of my favorite things to do every summer is, I coached Chaz Crawford at Hargrave, so he comes back and works out and Chaz and I will go get wings and catch up, and I just love sitting there and him and I catching up and talking about the guys he played with and different things, and how hes grown and developed and its just a great relationship, and those are the relationships that I look forward to continuing with Austin [Williams], Rodney [Williams], the guys who have come through already and our current guys. On February 22, 2018, Spiker led Drexel to a 34-point comeback win over Delaware, the largest comeback win in Division 1 history. The one thing that I would advise anyone in my profession is take time to develop relationships with the people outside of basketball, and do that on a daily basis and a personal basis. That word came up a lot. I actually delivered to ZZ Top, I delivered to the managers and they had the same beards. Previously, he served as head coach at Oklahoma State, Stephen F. Austin, Dodge City Community College, and Daytona Beach Community College and assistant coach at Western Illinois, Kansas State, and South Carolina . We need 12 basketballs. Valentine, Maura 2022-23 Men's Basketball Coaching Staff. If you're looking for some fun outside, Drexel has two beach volleyball courts, two tennis courts, and a soccer field. For me, my biggest challenge is trying to figure out how to get our day camp numbers up, because I dont think parents like to come into the area to drop off and pick up, outside of our Drexel parents, but the staff here is great. Assistant Women's Basketball Coach. The coaching staff remained standing. When junior Matey Juric tells him, Nobody really likes that layup drill before practice Noted. Coordinator of Strategic and Player Development. Chris Zupko is on a decidedly different path. they can save time and money, get ahead and give back. Belle Koclanes. Ecology, Marine Biology, and Oceanography. Zach would crawl up in the crows nest and make himself part of the broadcast,' said John Spiker, Zachs dad. [] I dont think we have challenges on the basketball side. In Spikers telling, the recruit added a side of bacon, and bring him some eggs, too. who was a lottery pick. There were papers all over the house. I dont know if I really look at challenges as a negative, its an opportunity to grow and learn. He was hired on April 9, 2015, after five seasons as the head coach at Army. The one thing that I would advise anyone in my profession is take time to develop relationships with the people outside of basketball, and do that on a daily basis and a personal basis. Borcky, Tori READ MORE: How Drexel's Cam Wynter bet on himself. John and Jinnie Chapel Achieve Center & Dragon Lounge, Student-Athlete Social Responsibility: Hazing, TicketSmarter - Official Ticket Resale Marketplace, Drexel Athletics Mourns the Loss of David Broadus, Damion Lee Named to Drexel's Forty Under Forty, Williams Named to NABC District 10 First Team, Amari Williams Named as Lefty Driesell Defensive Player of the Year Finalist. NCSA athlete's Season-by-Season Records. Club and intramural sportsare highly popular and fun opportunities to interact with other members of the Drexel community. Hide/Show Additional Information For Mekhi Long, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jason Wade, Hide/Show Additional Information For Chaunce Jenkins, Hide/Show Additional Information For Imo Essien, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jadin Johnson, Hide/Show Additional Information For DAngelo Stines, Hide/Show Additional Information For Tyreek Scott-Grayson, Hide/Show Additional Information For Ben Stanley, Hide/Show Additional Information For P.J. Our John A. Daskalakis Athletic Center also known as the DAC is the official home of Drexel Athletics. Its a cult and its a passion and Rob [Kennedy] will tell you that. Spiker has joined Bob Knight and Mike Krzyzewski as the only coaches in Army history to win at least 65 games in their first five seasons. Associate Head Women's Basketball Coach 215-895-0559 215-895-0559: Belle Koclanes: Assistant Women's Basketball Coach 215-895-1971 215-895-1971: Kayla Bacon: Coordinator of Strategic and Player Development . Associate Head Women's Basketball Coach. The basketball that almost cost us all our jobs, in the middle of June, said Meyer, who retired last year after 41 seasons working in college hoops, most recently as a Butler assistant. CZ: I recently bought a bike, so I like riding. It was a difficult time but a great learning experience for me in life and how I want to look at things and how I want to perceive things and how I want to do things. Had he tried to bring you on his staff before? Washington. It wasnt like we were texting each other every day or messaging each other; wed reach out during the year and catch up maybe two or three times a year. Kelsey brought in nearly an entirely new roster in his first campaign with a young core and just two returnees in 2021-22. Josh Verlin 2) (April 30), 2023 Hoop Group Spring Jam Fest: Day Three Standouts (Pt. What you see below is a transcript of our conversations, edited for readability. The men's college basketball program of the Drexel University was founded in 1894 and is known competitively as the Drexel Dragons.The team has had 26 head coaches in its history, and they have made 4 appearances in the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship, including a first round victory in 1996. CoBL: A lot of DOBOs are younger guys looking to get into coaching, youre the elder statesmen among operations guys in the city. Williams, Faizon Chavis, Paul [4] His first year at Drexel concluded with a 9-23 record. I didnt want to commit a violation., (A gift from a college coach to the coach of a player headed to West Point was the issue. search for recruits on NCSA's platform 741,611 times in 2021. The Assistant Coach of the Drexel University Men's Basketball program is Will Chavis. Men's Basketball - Coaching Staff; Image Name Title; Billy Taylor: Head Men's Basketball Coach: Greg Herenda: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach: Josh Gross: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach: Ryan Saunders: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach: Luke Boythe: Director of Men's Basketball Operations: Men's Basketball Head Coach 504-520-5448 504-520-5448: Tyrone Mitchell: Men's Basketball Associate Head Coach . , who was a great influence in my life, was the head coach and I said coach, i want to be part of the program, what can I do? and he said you can be a manager, and I said great. I was a manager for both varsity and JV and spending five or six hours a day in the gym during the season. Is this the DOBOs time to shine? [] I dont think we have challenges on the basketball side. Spiker cops to being a rules stickler, noting that longest-serving assistant Justin Jennings came with him from Army, but first was coach of the academys prep school where Jennings was when he got married, inviting Spiker to the wedding. I know he had great candidates and stuff, but it was something that I expressed interest in and he hit the ground running and was hiring his assistants to be on the road recruiting in April to make sure that we found the best players possible at that time, and I came aboard in June, I was hired maybe middle of June and my first day was July 5. profile and get matched with the right choices. Drexel players kneeled for most of the 2020-21 season. He was talking about the one in 2016 that resulted in Zach Spiker coming to Drexel, although it does not matter which school is looking for a coach, how big or small the whole basketball world has a perfect candidate for the job. Twitter. CZ: A lot of its organization. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. Kennedy's Korner. Mallon, Stacy There is no additional information to display. Creative guy. Ba, Amy Copyright 2023, Old Dominion University Athletics. He was good at knowing how to handle himself, when to shut up and when it was OK to talk. But also maybe it didnt prepare for the next one.. Here are two of our most popular articles to get you started: NCSA College Recruiting (NCSA) is the exclusive athletic recruiting network that educates, assists, and connects, families, coaches and companies so The list of athletic opportunities we offer is extensive, including everything from rowing and track to rugby and water polo. Dont just send a text, dont just send an email, but walk across campus and meet the person that youre going to want to have a recruit meet with, like I make sure I walk down to the business office every day -- and its in the DAC, so its not like Im going far -- but I touch the people who affect our players in direct and indirect ways in school and recruiting, and I learned that at Hobart. Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs. Get Exposure with college programs. Donohue, Chris List of Drexel Dragons men's basketball head coaches, NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship, Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, "Drexel Dragons Men's Basketball Record Book", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Drexel_Dragons_men%27s_basketball_head_coaches&oldid=1080505915, Duration of head coaching career at Drexel, This page was last edited on 1 April 2022, at 17:45. Beilein told Zillmer that Spiker was going to think of this as a problem-solving situation, creativity required. In 201314, the Black Knights set a school record for wins in the Patriot League (10), had only their second season with a winning conference record, and had their first ever back-to-back seasons with winning conference records - all under Spiker. ), Growing up as the son of a trainer, if youre a sports guy, its like a backstage pass,' Spiker said. Jenkins, Imo Email Address. Organizing meal money, team meals, sightseeing on their own, what sightseeing events were doing and dealing with pretty much a 14-hour time difference. I dont play golf enough, but I enjoy playing golf. By submitting, you agree to receive personalized follow-up and marketing messages from NCSA by email, phone and automated text. Oden, Jr. Hubert Division regular season champion Spiker had talked to bracketologist Joe Lunardi the night before, he wasnt disengaged from the topic. Hays, Ashley NCSA College Recruiting (NCSA) is the nations leading collegiate recruiting source for more than 500,000 student-athletes and 42,000 college coaches. I was late getting him a wedding gift,' Spiker said. Spiker kept that from him, but Beilein does remember West Virginias radio announcer being very enthusiastic about Spiker. Of all Beileins former aides who moved on, Spiker might be the one who keeps in touch most frequently with Beilein, according to Beilein himself, who says they talk every couple of weeks, and have a joke about Spiker leaving a message on what theyve come to call the Bat Phone meaning, dont wait three days to call back, Beilein said. Due to federal privacy regulations, we are not able to create an athlete profile for students under 13 years old. Jones, Kieran Taleghani. Phone. Whether you prefer outdoor or indoor sports, Drexel has a wide array of places for you to stay active. And my personality, I dont dwell on my challenges, I look at them as opportunities, wherever it comes up in a roadblock for me. The official Men's Basketball Coach List for the Louisiana Tech University Bulldogs. Our John A. Daskalakis Athletic Center also known as the DAC is the official home of Drexel Athletics. And the Hoop Group was tremendously supportive and helped me through it, I was able to work through it, as I said I was fortunate and blessed. His story CoBL: Youve got your first international trip with Drexel this month, going to Australia. He saw athletes have their highs and lows. Shutack. Of his seven seasons at Army, Spiker, now 44, noted, Such a perfect place to be a young coach. Are they done recruiting him? The official staff directory for the Drexel University Dragons Skip To Main . Coaching Staff . Drexel head coach Zach Spiker instructs from the sidelines in the second half of a game against William & Mary in January.

The Boathouse Lambertville, How Many Drops Of Mekp Is 1 Oz Of Gelcoat, Articles D