elmer wayne henley interview

Willie Nelson Is Helping Billy Strings Stay California Sober on a New Duet, Fifteen Hours and Thirty Drinks With the Minds Behind When Where What Austin, MakingLove & Death: Lesli Linka Glatter, Elizabeth Olsen, Jesse Plemons, and Patrick Fugit, Why These Ugly, Abandoned Longview Homes May Be Worth Saving, An El PasoBred Childrens Author Illustrates Border Life for the Next Generation, The Glowing Letter That Brought Thousands of German Immigrants to Texas Was a Lie, A Writer Revisits His Search for His Grandfathers Darkest Secrets, Step Aside, Perrys: This 30-Ounce Smoked Pork Chop Is Ready to Take the Crown, Willie Nelsons Son Lukas on Ancient Texts, Pearl Jam, and I Never Cared for You, Love and Death in Silicon Prairie, Part I: Candy Montgomerys Affair, I Biked the I-35 Hell Route From Austin to San Antonio So You Dont Have To, Texas-Style Pulled Pork Is Embarrassing, 15 Treasure-Filled Spots to Antique in Small-town Texas, Mosquito Hawks Are Flitting All Over Texas, Love and Death in Silicon Prairie, Part II: The Killing of Betty Gore. Was Texaswas the countryhoneycombed with the decomposing victims of some hidden force so demonic that it eluded ordinary perception and even memory lay buried? Elmer Wayne Henley (left) and David Owen Brooks (right) in 1973. Dad was always beating up on my little brothers. In August 1973, Henley, then 17, shirtless and jittery from a night of partying, was arrested and confessed to participating in a murder, rape, and torture ring led by Dean Corll, a Houston electrician and former candy maker with no criminal history. [29], Henley was brought to trial in San Antonio in July 1974,[30] charged with the murders of six teenage boys whom he himself had lured to Corll's apartment between March 1972 and July 1973. Henley lured the victim to Corll's Schuler Street apartment on the promise of smoking some marijuana. Autopsies revealed each victim had been killed by either strangulation, shooting or a combination of both.[25]. Both survived, and Corlls murder was ruled justifiable homicide. Trial and Conviction. Dean was a personal friend, as well as a source of income. Maybe thats what started it, the divorce and all I trapped him over the head with the vacuum cleaner, and called the police.. Bluish acne scars cover his cheeks and the back of his neck; beneath curving brows lies the intimation of his reputed IQ of 126. Katy Vine has been a staff writer since 2002. To compensate, any people Henley paints are in black and white while his other works are usually in color. To appease Corll, Henley told him they could rape and kill Kerley and Williams together. Fellatio was just another antidote to boredom, no more disagreeable than bagging. Other evidence included the "torture board" Corll handcuffed his victims to and the "body box" that he used to transport bodies to burial sites. To make sure he stayed shot.. medically recommended intensive supervision. Phillips knows Brian Falcon and Mike Huffine of Silver Rock. He loved his children and his grandchildren, he was sharp., We didnt get along. Within a week he led authorities to 27 clandestine graves. He brought out a little blade, you knowand it wasnt a little knife, either. All the victims found were young males and many had been sexually tortured in addition to being sexually assaulted. He untied Henley, and the two of them went back into the living room, Corll with a gun and Henley with a knife. Henley, then 17 years old, shot Corll dead on August 8, 1973.[2]. On August 13, 1973, a grand jury convened in Harris County to hear evidence against Henley and Brooks. Acute asthma attacks were overcome with the aid of his grandparents, who tended Henley while his mother was occupied with younger children and an unpredictable husband. Photos, illustrations and other art may be available for syndication but must be confirmed. Henley was born May 9, 1956, in Houston, Texas, the eldest of four sons born to Elmer Wayne Henley Sr. (September 21, 1938 June 18, 1986) and Mary Pauline Henley (ne Weed) (born May 4, 1937). Other pieces of evidence presented included the wooden box used to transport the victims' bodies to the various burial sites and the plywood body board upon which many victims had been restrained. On July 16, 1974, after hearing closing arguments from both prosecution and defense, the jury retired to consider their verdict. Elmer Wayne Henley first became eligible for parole on July 8, 1980; on this occasionand each successive parole hearing to datehe has been denied parole. The State of Texas presented a total of 82 pieces of evidence . Even after Elmer Wayne Henley found out what happened to the first boy hed lured to Corlls home, he didnt stop. I owe my life to them., He describes his grandfathera hard-working baker who died when Henley was only sevenwith a term that for him is close to adulation. [46] Henley refuses to paint or draw any images of a violent or exploitative nature: many of his works depict serene imagery such as landscapes, buildings and flowers and the majority being created using acrylics and graphite. One time she wrote about sports. Henley told the interviewer he believed he had been reformed and that he was under the spell of Corll. At Corll's address, Henley helped con the teenager into donning the handcuffs,[13] then watched Corll pounce on the youth, tie his feet and place tape over his mouth. When asked how he felt about killing his friend and mentor, Elmer Wayne Henley told Texas Monthly he did exactly what Dean Corll trained him to do. Henley asserted that the only murder he took part in was Corll, the man who was killing . I liked being there. Henley was one of the subjects interviewed for the project. Lise has investigated many twisted Texas tales, including crooked judges, an unjust execution, massive environmental disasters, myriad cases of corporate and public corruption, and unsolved serial killings. At first I wondered what it was like to kill someone. The officers who were dispatched had no inkling that they were about to uncover the most heinous and horrifying killing spree the nation had ever seen up until that point. the Texanist, is a staff writer. Wikimedia CommonsDean Corll was viewed as a friend to many children in Houston. However, the abuse the younger Henley endured during his early life at the hands of his father would stay with him. Lise Olsenis a Houston-based senior reporter and editor at the Texas Observer. Some say it's too much", "One of Houston's most notorious killers has Facebook page", "Real Horror: Local Filmmaker Brings the Horrific Crimes of Dean Corll to the Silver Screen", "Investigation Discovery Reveals Who Is Most Evil with Leading Forensic Psychologist Dr. Kris Mohandie On Sunday, December 7", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Elmer_Wayne_Henley&oldid=1146493240, 7 (including Corll, which was ruled to be self-defense), "All I ask is that they look at my artwork firstit may be the only contribution I can give to society.". Articles must link back to the original article and contain the following attribution at the top of the story: This article was originally published by the, Articles cannot be rewritten, edited or changed beyond alignments with house style books. Henley then left the youth alone with Corll, believing he was to be sold into the sex slavery ring. So he started getting up and he was like, Youre not going to do anything to me,' she continued. Their parents seemed unwilling or incapable of providing direction. If I did go, I knew Dean would go after one of my little brothers, who he always liked a little too much.". However, things became more sinister when the older man suggested committing murder. Elmer Wayne Henley Jr. (born May 9, 1956) is a convicted American serial killer and painter incarcerated in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) system. Because Holden and Bill are busy in Atlanta, Wendy and Gregg meet with Elmer Wayne Henley Jr., the mentee of "The Candyman" Dean Corll who acted as an accomplice to . They had a little dinner tray they put on the edge of the bed to hold the cups. Henley drives that point home when, near the end of the documentary, Porras asks him if he is a serial killer. Corll agreed and untied Henley, then carried Kerley and Williams into his bedroom and tied them to opposite sides of his plywood torture board: Kerley on his stomach; Williams on her back. Based on the real cases of former special agent John E. Douglas, Netflix's Mindhunter features chilling dramatized interviews with serial killers. Henley woke to find Corll placing handcuffs upon his wrists,[1]:100,101 Kerley and Williams had each been bound and gagged and lay alongside Henley on the floor. The assembled jury also heard the testimony of a youth named Billy Ridinger, who had been abducted by Corll, Henley and Brooks in 1972 and who testified as to his torture and abuse at the hands of the trio. Henley later said during his confession, Dean told me he would pay me $200 for every boy I could bring in and maybe more if they were really good-looking boys.. I had Dean in a corner, see, and he told me, You wont kill me. I shot himcoollyuntil I ran out of bullets. He was charged with six counts of murder, according to The New York Times, but he was not charged with killing Corll, as the shooting was ruled self-defense. He is obviously pleased with his clients performance. Maybe theres not just twenty-seven murders. In the spring of 1973, Henley attempted to enlist in the U.S. Navy, but his application was rejected on June 28 due to the fact he had dropped out of high school andalthough a later intelligence test would reveal his IQ to be 126[20]possessed a limited education. As reported by Texas Monthly, Dean Corll's suggestion piqued Henley's curiosity, as he "wondered what it was like to kill someone.". First appearance: Episode 4. Henley dropped out of high school at the age of 15, and it was around the same time that he met 16-year-old David Owen Brooks. All That's Interesting reports Henley and Brooks did not simply lure the young men to Corll's home, they willingly participated in the torture and killing of the victims. Leave them blank to get signed up. In his opinion, Corll would have "been proud" of the way he killed him. So when I did something, I enjoyed it, and didnt dwell on it later.. Visiting time has expired. Hen. All of Corlls 28 known victims had either been shot or strangled, and in at least six instances, Henley himself fired the shots or pulled the cords that killed them. ", Even with a weapon pointed at him, Corll was not cowed: he walked towards Henley, shouting, "Kill me, Wayne! Dean Corll, known as the Candy Man, was. Arkansas Online reports Brooks died on May 28, 2020, after contracting COVID-19 in prison. He was still talking about organized theft, and wanting to know in case was I cornered, was I willing to off the guy. I thought divorce was a good idea, and I told him so. We rely on the generosity of our readers who believe that this work is important. [28] Both youths pleaded not guilty to the charges against them. I wanted to find out what his deal was., When they next met, Corll told Henley about an organization out of Dallas that he was involved with that trafficked boys and young men. Throughout his trial, Henley was represented by Will Gray and Edwin Pegelow. He said, Theyre never going to let me out, and Im OK with that.'. For Porras, a graduate of New York's American Academy of Dramatic Arts and the John Ruskin School of Arts in Los Angeles, "Decisions and Visions" is her first foray into long-format film making. Elmer Wayne Henley, Jr is currently serving six life sentences for participating in a murder, rape, and torture ring when he was a teenager. Of course I said yesego would dictate that. One of those killed was 13-year-old. On June 4, a 15-year-old friend of Henley's named Billy Lawrence was abducted and, after 3 days of abuse and torture at an address Corll had moved to in Pasadena, strangled with a ligature and buried at Lake Sam Rayburn. Volunteers from his Dickinson-based nonprofit, which specializes in missing persons and conducts searches nationwide, used specialized equipment to survey and excavate the yard around Corlls former home in Pasadena and in other places, but unearthed no human remains, Miller told the Texas Observer. Henley pleaded for his life, promising to participate in the torture and murder of the other youths if Corll released him. Dr. Sharon Derrick is among those interviewed for the documentary. Once Corll had raped and murdered Aguirre, Henley, Brooks, and Corll buried him at a beach near Houston called High Island. I dont really feel about it, you know. From the moment Brooks and Corll met, Corll took advantage of Brooks vulnerability: Brooks father was a bully who constantly chastised his son for being weak. Williams was just 15 when she. Kahan said so far, he lacks details about the nature of Henleys request. Brooks accompanied Henley and the police to High Island Beach on Aug. 10, 1973, where they recovered another six bodies. He does NOT deserve to have any compassion for any illness as my brother was not even treated with basic humanity.. [32], The State of Texas presented a total of 82 pieces of evidence throughout Henley's trial, including the written confession Henley had given on August 8, which was read to the court in which he admitted killing or assisting in the abduction and murder of several youths, including the 6 teenagers for whose murder he was on trial. My only regret is that Dean isnt here now, so I could tell him what a good job I did killing him.. Corll was known throughout the community as the Candy Man, as his parents owned a candy company. On more than 300 occasions,[34] Henley's attorneys raised objections to the testimony given or evidence presented against Henley which was overruled by the judge presiding at his trial. On February 1, 1973, Corll abducted and killed a 17-year-old youth named Joseph Lyles, apparently without the assistance of Henley, who had temporarily moved to Mount Pleasant in early 1973. When Elmer Wayne Henley contacted authorities that August day in 1973, he initially stated that he killed only one man Dean Corll. . Corlls apartment provided a place to waste time. Henley realized that the candy shop operated by Corlls motherwhere her son constructed a giant frog with red eyes that lit up when the telephone rang, for the amusement of childrenwas a store he had visited earlier. Despite his horror at the realization, Henley didnt tell the police what Corll had done. Texas did not adopt life without parole sentences until 2005. My only regret is that Dean isnt here now, Henley would say afterward, so I could tell him what a good job I did killing him., Hed of been proud of the way I did it, he added, if he wasnt proud before he died.. [12] At Corll's home, Corll and Henley devised a ruse in which they would lure a youth to Corll's home and Henley would then cuff his hands behind his back, release himself, then con the victim into placing the handcuffs upon himself. [16] Corll rented a boat shed on Silver Bell Street in southwest Houston (where police eventually found eight bodies) [17] Later, Corll and Brooks told Henley that his childhood friend, David Hilligiest, had also been killed and buried in that same boat shed along with his swimming companion Gregory Malley Winkle.[12]. Henley later told police that he ignored Corll's offer for several months. When he instructed Henley and Brooks to bring him boys, instead of stolen television sets, to be sold to a fictitious white-slave market in Dallas for $200 apiece, they complied. Her reports in three states over 20 years contributed to the prosecutions of a former congressman and afederal judge, inspired laws and reforms, helped solve cold cases, restored names to unidentified murder victims, and freed dozens of wrongfully-held prisoners. Henley is incarcerated in the Stiles Unit in Jefferson County. He already has begun a social media campaign to ask others to contact the board to oppose Henleys release. Less than two weeks later, a 20-year-old hitchhiker named Raymond Blackburn was likewise strangled and buried at Lake Sam Rayburn before a 15-year-old South Houston youth named Homer Garcia was shot and buried at the same location after his July 7 abduction. We report on vital issues from politics to education and are the indispensable authority on the Texas scene, covering everything from music to cultural events with insightful recommendations.

Nightlife At The Studio Ernest Watson, Gasparilla Distance Classic 2020 Results, No Credit Check Apartments Fresno, Ca, Articles E