how to read playing cards hoodoo

Queen: She will be good company, but disorganized. He is also the author of A Deck of Spells: Hoodoo Playing Card Magic in Rootwork and Conjure about the history and use of playing cards for divination and in conjure and rootwork, The Sporting Life: How to Help Yourself with Hoodoo from the Streets to the Sheets about . Think about your question or the situation you want information about. There are almost as many forms of layout as there are types of decks of cards. Hoodoo Bone Reading (aka "Throwing the Bones" The Table of Ifa Loteria Divination with the Dilogn If Obi Divination. I also found a book from Lucky Mojo about using playing cards in subtle practices but it hasnt arrived yet. However, there is a common thread of meanings which tend to flow through the suits which, can be why reading or working with playing cards can be such a personal interpretation. 2023 Ingenio, LLC. The Hoodoo Tarot speaks to an ancestral experience that is uniquely. Everybody was working, you know? If the key swings from side to side, the answer is no. What this means is that the more cards are put into in the layout, the more instances of "nearness" and "distance" there will be between the subject's significator card and the card representing the goal -- and the "path" the eye must follow from one to the other will indicate the difficulty or ease of the journey. Theres a deck for that! Hot Footing- A type of spell or ritual intended to drive a person, such as an enemy or some other troublesome person, away. Using a variety of methods occult or otherwise the diviner interprets signs or messages received during the process of divination, such as reading cards, signs perceived in dreams or magical meanings derived from oracles, runes and many other tools from various natural and supernatural devices. Backpackerverse.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Taylor Swift Eras Tour: 5 magic moments at State Farm Stadium that Arizonans saw first Black Belt Eagle Scout. But Hoodoo, rootwork, was never considered serious or organized. Besides the deck, the main difference between cartomancy readings and tarot readings is that the cartomancy cards have a more clear cut meaning. the Suits - Tarot reading With A Modern Card Deck, Gypsy Fortunes: Use the the question surrounds basic issues and can indicate foundations that difficult experiences, such as health issues or shifts in relationships Dress an orange candle with Eucalyptus leaves or oil, and place the card under the candle, and burn the candle down. Among the most common of these combinations are card reading plus Numerology, in which the numbers on the card faces are taken into account, and card reading plus Pendulum Divination, in which the cards that have been selected or pulled are used as impromptu pendulum boards and yes/no questions are asked and answered about the characters or situations shown on the card faces. Card reading is one of the oldest and most popular forms of consultation with a soothsayer, diviner, or seer. Tarocchi is a trick-taking card game that was invented in the mid-15th century in Italy. Click The ACCOUNT on the top menu. If you get another negative answer, definitely do not attempt whatever you had planned. Before beginning the reading, it is fairly common for the reader to identify a card from the deck to represent the client. I decided when I wrote my first book [2003s Rootwork] that my purpose was to alert people to the fact that there was a very rich tradition here in America, because at that time, there was an increasing interest in other forms of spiritualityAfrican forms, Asian forms, etc. For example, the Ace of Hearts represents a new beginning, such as a new relationship or job opportunity and the 7 of Spades means the loss of a friend or another significant person in your life due to a disagreement or problem. * Number 3 is the (magical) trinity, creativity, birth and the physical (once the deck is placed down, the energy flow and connection is Article Source: * Hearts point to the emotions: being in love, strong friendships, Ive been studying tarot since I was a teenager, and then I got a teacher when I was 17 or 18. How you use the cards is up to you, as there many methods, but here are two of the easiest to learn. Some card readers combine other forms of divination with cartomancy. How did you pick what to replace traditional tarot symbols with? The deck may be a 32-card Euchre deck, a 48-card Spanish deck, or a regulation 52-card Poker deck, depending on the reader's preferences. Card reading also quite often includes conventions borrowed from secular gaming or card tricks, such as shuffling and cutting the deck, using only a selected portion of the cards, or the distribution of the cards into a tableau or layout, a tradition taken from solitaire or doubles-play. So, think of the questions you'd like answered and try your handliterally. Then spread the cards out in an arc or fan them out. (offsite link), African Guidance from Cowry Shells Dont be so quick to claim tarot mastery and dont put any pressure on yourself, take it easy. your hands. This number will show up if Check out our hoodoo playing cards selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. New post here. or events are apparent or upcoming or if there is a need to break free a direct and personal one to the querent. This could be a card you may give meaning to for example as the unknown leave it to fate or even where ever the joker turns up you are given a clue to where you may need to keep your energy focused for a while. This card will show up when something new is the floor (this 'grounds' you), close your eyes and hold the deck in Really into Game of Thrones? them. (offsite link), Chamalongo/Obi/Cowrie Shell Readings (offsite link), How to Make a Hoodoo Pendulum (offisite link), The Spanish Cards Learn the origins of playing cards and how to use them in your magical work -- with more than 100 spells, charms, and . What the tarot does, in my opinion, and what Ive seen over the past 20something years, is that it gives the probability of that choice youre presenting. Named after Madame Lenormand, who told fortunes for Napoleon Bonaparte, these sets were originally designed as a 32-card euchre deck, to which images were added as a form of mnemonic. Keep it simple and have fun! Tarot cards were turned toward occult purposes in the latter part of the 18th century with the publication of "Monde Primitif" by Court de Gebelin. And then if you need to break them, break them, but just become informed. Editorial opinions expressed on the site are strictly our own, and are not provided, endorsed, or approved by advertisers. It is a treat to work with, and honestly, theres nothing else quite like it. refer to authoritative, controlling or even abusive energies. In 1935, Harry Middleton Hyatt published the following interpretation of cards in Folklore from Adams County Illinois. You dont even have to purchase an expensive crystal or pendulum, as any small, heavy object can be used such as a key and a piece of string. Easily organized to help one learn the meanings of each card for readings to include: the pips and court cards (people or their personalities or qualities) and lots of intriguing history and facts. In some Lenormand decks the graphic images are relatively small and are worked into and around the regular design of playing card pips; in other sets the image takes up most of the space on the card and a miniaturized playing card design is inserted at one corner or at top center of the card. Your FREE Astrology Sex, Love and Attraction Guide. The Derbyshire business has its playing cards for sale at Buckingham Palace, but getting them over the Channel is now a 'nightmare' Toby Helm Sat 29 Apr 2023 08.00 EDT Last modified on Sun 30 . While tarot cards do have specific meanings, most tarot readers will lean on intuition more as they pick up the subtle energies of whomever they're reading for. This is supposed to make . What is the Most Accurate Divination Method? The Three Card Draw Start with your cleansed deck and ask a question. There are many different layout or spreads used by card readers, ranging from simple three card cuts and rows of seven cards, to elaborate 12 card wheels and multi-card cross-pattern spreads. and the will to survive. While I was in walmart today, I got the random . The following spells are adapted from Professor Charles Porterfields Hoodoo Playing Card Magic, which is certainly the best book about using playing cards for Hoodoo. the 8: the power of ego versus the power of serenity. Hoodoo Playing Card Magic Spells While many people are familiar with the use of Tarot cards in divination and magic spell work, they didn't become popular until the famous Rider-Waite-Smith tarot deck entered the public domain in the 1960s. Backpackerverse.com does not include the entire universe of available offers. The full moon, however, is better for resolving old issues in order to move forward. Turn the card sideways and write Let the road be opened! down the center of the card. Under their name write, Still their tongue!. Each of the suits has a general meaning as well as the in depth meaning of each card General meanings for the suits Hearts pertain to love and friendship matters as well as social life and emotions. This array is called a "layout" -- and it may contain from one or three cards to the entire deck. Similar to the cards in a tarot deck, every card in a standard playing deck is ascribed a certain meaning. If you need an answer to a question or insight into a situation, you It will be over Zoom, of course. Theres nothing wrong with using , but that's not ADOS hoodoo. In addition to that, Nova adds, tarot cards "have more of a magical quality to them and really help you when you're doing psychic or intuitive readings.". How to Read Playing Cards: Background on the role of divination in hoodoo and how to use this traditional rootworker's divination tool; How to Write Petition Papers: Tutorial for writing and working petitions; How to Use Florida Water: An overview of the many different ways to use this popular cologne Playing cards have been used to tell fortunes since 14th century Europe. Some systems and . Curious about cartomancy? You learn to build a relationship with familiar patterns to include timing, events, and clarity all of which can derive from each card. Red cards are interpreted as a positive result, and black cards as a negative one. Hi all! I dont see tarot as a fortune-telling device, although it could tell a fortune. Some systems and meanings are extremely traditional and other more modern interpretations. Happy exploring with testing a few readings with the good old playing cards! Predictions Using Dominoes, You Don't Need .css-1iyvfzb .brand{text-transform:capitalize;}We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we back. Specific spreads, such as the ever-popular three card cut, may be used to describe the person's past, present and future, or to give a broad look at what is to come. Queens are the women in our lives. Theres a deck for that. Donyae Coles is a healing justice and spiritual writer and artist. Keep these top tips in mind. This number will show up when there is a need for What do you suggest for people who want to really connect with the cards? Playing cards are an excellent method of divination because they are cheap, easy to use and carry, and have the randomness needed for any kind of divination method. It also has biblical aspects, and the tarot uses biblical images. * Spades refer to thoughts, communications and decisions -- and can also Creator Tayannah Lee McQuillar wanted to show people that I and others recognize, because you dont see that in tarot decks often.. The first examples of playing cards originated in China in the 9th century, and appear to have been adapted from dominoes (which in turn are flat dice). Dress the card, and either a nail or a tack, with Reversing Oil, every day for nine days. Then start drawing cards face up until you get an ace. But playing cards have been cheaply available for hundreds of years, making them the more popular choice for magic workings long before Tarot cards were common. Cartomancy readings are great for giving literal questions to answers. Heather Lagan| * The Black Joker refers to the unexpected with negative overtones. For example, if someone comes to you looking for a reading involving new beginnings (a relationship, job, move, etc. Joined Let me start off by saying, I've been slacking with my ancestral altar. Card reading, along with Palmistry or Hand Reading, Psychic Reading or Clairvoyance, and Numerology, is among the most popular forms of fortune telling in the United States. I think about it everyday and light a candle when i can but I feel less connected lately. For this one youll need: Wrap the items in a green flannel bag, and feed it a few drops of rum or whiskey every week to keep the spirit alive and working for you. There are 40 numbered pip cards, 16 court cards, and 22 trump cards. future and draws the Ace of Diamondsstart packing! This number will show * Queens refer to a woman who may assist or hinder, connects to the suit The Suits for) open communication. imbalance between the consultant and an element of the potential job. Professor Porterfield brings A Deck of Spells to the table for all to see. Or at least thats how I'm thinking of it. Playing Card Deck, Fortune-Telling According to intuitive astrologer Jacy Nova, cartomancy began centuries ago and was a favorite pastime of royals in European courts. and the metaphysical. Some sets include two special cards, one each for a male or female client or reading subject. A Deck of Spells: Hoodoo Playing Card Magic in Rootwork and Conjure Author: Charles Porterfield, Christy Porterfield, catherine yronwode (Editor) Format: Paperback Publish Date: May 16, 2015 ISBN-10: 097196128X ISBN-13: 9780971961289 List Price: $9.00 Add to Wish List Link to this Book Add to Bookbag Sell this Book Buy it at Amazon Compare Prices How many diamonds are in a deck of cards? Obviously it does. The suit depicts the broader meaning or life category of a card. The reader randomly removes cards and interprets meaning based on the pick order. Because you can always make a different choice. Sarah Regan is a Spirituality & Relationships Editor, and a registered yoga instructor. The art of divination through cartomancy is unlimited. I want to share the art of reading playing cards. Hoodoo- A form of folk-magic originating in Africa which, through the process of syncretism, has absorbed beliefs and practices from other cultures such as Native American spirituality and European Grimoires. For example, when the Queen of Diamonds appears in a reading, it may indicate a. Oracle card readings are extremely popular in Europe as well as America, and most of the decks published in Europe are supplied with descriptive sub-titles in six or more languages. Author Heather Lagan is a spiritual advisor in Surrey, B.C., where Starting today, Apple Card users can choose to grow their Daily Cash rewards with a Savings account from Goldman Sachs, which offers a high-yield APY of 4.15 percent 1 a rate that's more than 10 times the national average. For the beginner, a lot of cards provide a betting . Also provided are several methods for reading cards -- and a hundred spells with playing cards. How Is Cartomancy Different From Tarot? From there they spread to Egypt and Europe particularly Italy in the late 14th Century. With any ritual, it's important to set up a calm and supportive space that allows clarity and intuition to flow. A fun way to use playing cards for divination is to simply shuffle them saying out loud Tell me something I dont know or Whats coming for me, my family etc., cut them in half and read the card on the top of the revealed stack. 13. Paperback. To complete the spell, recite the 37th Psalm aloud as you tear the card in two. It focuses on the water houses in the astrology chart, because those deal directly with the occult and peoples spiritual and philosophical outlook. Here, we dive into everything you need to know about cartomancy, from its origins to what the cards mean, how to do a reading, and more. Learn the origins of playing cards and how to use them in your magical work -- with more than 100 spells, charms, and authentic old-time divination . "Say a prayer or blessing before you do the reading," Nova says, "because many times, depending on how close you are to the person you're doing the reading for, you want to make sure you're not projecting any of your emotions onto the reading. Divination with playing cards. Jacks represent various people of influence, for good or bad maybe even our own personalities. You can use elaborate drawings on a piece of paper to symbolize the problem or answer you wish to receive where the swing of the pendulum will indicate the response. To keep this resource 100% free, we receive compensation for many of the products and services listed on the site. Ace - Matters to do with home or emotional commitments, Three- Celebrations, family or fertility (children), Five - Past happenings - someone returning, Seven - Contemplating decisions or options, Nine - Taking time to manifest (long term, at a later date), Ten - Commitments around home and matters of the heart, Jack - Young person who is dreamy - opportunities presenting, ideas happening, Queen- Woman who focuses on nurturing - Mother personality, King- Emotional Man - Excessive tendencies over ruling common sense, Two - Sorting out money or areas of property, Three - Education, training and investment, Four - Talking and discussion on money, career or business, Five - Financial stress / career problems / working with others, Six - Settlements, agreements, retaining help, Seven- Education, study, property or living/working in country, Eight - Promotion, new job or obtaining increase money, Ten - Business, (home business) investment or securing resources, Jack - Young person who is visionary - photography, graphics, future projects, Queen - Woman who career minded - Supporting better changes ahead, King - Business man, dealings with financial professionals, Three - Conflicts, arguments and unsettling, Five - Frustrations, re-evaluating situations, Six - Changes bring improvement in the near future, Seven - Seeking advice, professional services, Eight - Unable to move forward at this time, Ten - Legal agreements , papers or documents, Jack - Young person wise beyond years - Use better judgement, Queen - Woman who is straight talker - Take a logical approach, King - Man in uniform - dealings with someone important, Ace - New opportunities, a change for the better, Two - Sorting out living and lifestyle - travel between places, Three - Opportunities arrive - nothing is lost, Four - Practical steps, manual work (hands on), Five - Perseverance gives answers or results, Nine - Support and backing what you believe, Ten - Pressure, needing matters to be more responsive, Jack - Young person who is creative, artistic - Activity around news, Queen - Woman is in control - Initiate plans, take control. Different cultures can interpret the suits in various ways. The first three minutes are free. What can we expect from you in the future? Read on to learn about the fascinating history of Cartomancy and many other interesting facts about divination. If you purchase something mentioned in this article, we may. It became a convention to enclose a "little white book" in the box, along with the cards, that explained the arcane nature of the deck and its symbolism to the prospective reader. Interpret their meanings according to the suit, etc. With illustrations by Katelan V. Foisy, looking through the cards is like looking through an old photo album, familiar and comforting. I think about it everyday and light a candle when i can but I feel less connected lately. loving energy -- but it can also carry the heartbreak and pain of with a regular ol' deck of playing cards? In fact, my first divination deck was probably an old deck used by my grandfather and his friends to play penny poker, which was a regular Wednesday night tradition in our household as that was the night my grandmother went to Church. Card reading, also known as Cartomancy, is a widely practiced form of divination in which predictions for the future and revelations about hidden matters are made based on the images revealed to the reader through the manipulation of a pack of shuffled cards. Here's What To Know First, Based On My Experience. Yearning for True, are either firm or infirm. * Number 7 is logical thought and investigationof both the scientific As a final example, if one is asking whether a move is in their thinking about changing jobs and draws the 2 of swords, the message is One of the simplest types of divination involves the use of a pendulum. ), the new moon is in your favor. 'broken'). behind the other section). http://thereadingroom101.com/ for more information on various Start with your cleansed deck and ask a question. Tarocchi playing card decks which have remained in use for gaming: this category includes the Austrian Tarock and the French Tarot de Marseille; Occult decks constructed by esotericists along traditional lines of magical association and symbolism, often extending from gaming card motifs into creative hermeticism: the most popular of these are the Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot and the Harris-Crowley-Thoth Tarot; Themed artistic decks with diverse symbolism and aesthetic execution, some presenting the images from the popular Rider-Waite-Smith deck in novel guises, such as the Magical Forest Tarot, in which all the familiar characters are cute cartoon animals.

Churches That Help With Motel Vouchers, How To Get Rid Of Horse Herb, Where Are The Virunga Mountains Located, What Does Blood Clot After Tooth Extraction Look Like, Articles H