maryland state record deer

My last sighting that day had been at about 4 p.m.". He had a massive rack. Taken in Beaufort County, it has a total of 21 scoreable points. '/_layouts/15/docsetsend.aspx' Kevin's family has been actively involved in agriculture on the Eastern Shore for over 150 years. 1 in the state, its No. 1 in North Dakota and No. By Joshua Nearhoof 11 years ago. It ranks No. You don't have permission to access this page. As I approached I couldn't believe my eyes. This deer is pretty freaky, especially on that left side. Marylands Finest is packed with stories and pictures along with the highest scoring bucks, bears and stags across Maryland. Hunters not required to have a license must obtain a free DNRid number and a free Maryland Big Game Harvest Record if they intend to hunt deer or turkeys. This buck is the second largest bow deer taken by a hunter. Not too shabby for an East Coast buck! When the property changed hands in 1999, the Millers' reputation as good stewards of the land made it easy for new owner, Bill D'Alonzo, to ask them to continue tilling and caring for the property. Please enable scripts and reload this page. Billy would like to use his newfound fame to take some deserving youngsters on dream hunts. The biggest buck taken in South Dakota was harvested in Marshall County. This Hill County special from 1968 has 18 points and a monster frame. "This was near the end of the secondary rut in Maryland," he says. So when he got back there at around 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 27, all he had to do was ratchet himself up the tree again. While New Mexico doesnt have whitetails in the B&C book, they do have 11 Coues whitetails in it. 'Maybe I can shoot him in his bed. I had killed some nice deer in my life and I had seen some nice bucks, but this buck was beyond anything I could have imagined. 422 in the world, its a really big whitetail from Wayne County. Maryland archers have shot some huge whitetails over the years, but this post-rut giant beats all of the rest. One of three nontypical Booners in South Carolina, the Wood whitetail is a magnificent creature. 277 all-time. Another record thats stood for many decades, the Tice buck was taken in Essex County in 1938. It was Junior. 1 in West Virginia and No. "It was hard to see through all of the limbs of the treetop to tell what was going on," Kevin remembers. 43 all-time. 3,053 all-time. A couple more have been entered into the books since then, but it still ranks No. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. The buck has 26 points on its rack, and all but one mass measurement is 5 inches or greater. Josh Honeycutt The Biggest B&C Record Typical Bucks from Every State, 10 of the Biggest World-Record Bucks Ever, The Biggest B&C Record Whitetail Deer from Every State. With 25 points, an 18 1/8-inch inside spread, 26 7/8- and 27-inch beams, and moderate mass, its a great whitetail. 1 ReDrop Report. A mature buck could live his entire life experiencing little contact with man. + '?List={ListId}&ID={ItemId}'), Isle of Wight shoals southeast of Ocean City, in the canyons off the coast of Ocean City, Turkey Point near the mouth of the Elk River, Black Walnut Point Fishing area, Tilghman Island, Along the banks of the upper Potomac River, North Branch Of The Potomac River Below Randolph Dam. At about 9 a.m. my hunting partner, who I always refer to as 'Junior,' called me from work to find out how I was doing. The Hoyt launched a Carbon Express Maxima Red arrow and three-blade Grim Reaper broadhead toward the deer's side. Bag limits and other regulations are listed for sika deer in theGuide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland. Taken in 2005 in PG county with a bow. Ranking No. "Finally I ranged a clump of brush next to him and got 97 yards. Actually, he was now walking away from me. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Overall, the buck has a 21 5/8-inch inside spread, 23- and 25 6/8-inch main beams, and mass measurements ranging from 5 to 8 6/8 inches. Two measurements are over 8 inches, one is over 7 inches, and four are over 5 inches. Basically the rack is a main-frame 5x5 with 9 abnormal points on each side. But I ran across the NEW PENDING Maryland State Sika deer archery record at 70 5/8" I think this one beat the old one by almost 5 inches ! Maryland The typical record is the 70th largest overall and was taken by Kevin C. Miller in Kent County back in 2002. Charlie drove to the DuHamell residence the next day and snapped several more photos of his friend with the giant buck. "I have a daughter and son who are preschoolers," the hunter explains. "It's horse country," Jordan points out. 207 all-time. Gordon Whittington gets technical with his TenPoint crossbow, specifically relating to space awareness. By mastering some sika vocalizations, hunters can increase their chances of bagging a stag during the rut. It's his way of giving back. He was right!". He revels in what his good friend was able to achieve with a bow during a season in which virtually everyone else was carrying a muzzleloader. It was him, the buck from last year, the king of the marsh, and he was bedding within 100 yards of the same spot where I had watched him in the rain the season before. | There are a number of reasons: Maryland, like a lot of the other top trophy producers, has a firearms season that starts after peak rut. | These "black holes" seem to suck in pressured whitetails, as well as those with reclusive personalities. This policy facilitates adequate harvest of does. However, its No. Who doesnt love the club hanging off that right side? The biggest nontypical to ever come out of Maryland was picked up by a hunter in Dorchester County. If nothing happens, I'll try grunting as a last resort at last light. "I put my 30-yard sight pin right behind his left front leg and touched my release," Jordan says. Their coat tends to be reddish brown during summer months, and dark brown to black in color during winter. and when he looked back, he was shocked to see the big deer quickly walking uphill, angling sharply away from his stand! "I'd cleaned up my muzzleloader and didn't feel like taking it down and reloading it. "It's a fun stand to hunt," Kevin notes. The Boylan buck is the top nontypical in New York. '/_layouts/15/expirationconfig.aspx' Subscriber Services. "All of a sudden, he stopped at about 120 yards and bedded down in the 6-foot-tall marsh grass. Statistically, you probably wont. Related: How to Score a Buck, the Right Way. "The Official Record-Keeper for Maryland Trophy Deer and Bears" February 3, 2022 -- Maryland DNR Wildlife & Heritage Service August 18, 2021 - Maryland Wildlife Advisory Commission GIVING BACK BUCKS-BEARS-STAGS understands that we, as hunters, must be ethical and responsible. All rights reserved. Please enable JavaScript in your browser. The top buck in Razorback country was harvested by William Dooley. "I was really excited," the hunter says. 580 Taylor Ave., Annapolis, MD 21401 Call toll-free in *Maryland* at 1-877-620-8DNR (8367) Out of State: 410-260-8DNR (8367) Then it began to rain.". I couldn't see him at all when he was bedded and the weather was so miserable that I thought about leaving several times. '/_layouts/15/hold.aspx' The second arrow penetrated a few inches into the deer's shoulder blade. Archery hunters can hunt during any firearms season but must wear adequate fluorescent orange at those times, same as if they were carrying a gun. 125 overall. It has 30 points, both beams over 25 inches, an inside spread of 24 6/8 inches, and more. 8 all-time, and sports 35 total points. Today, sika deer (Cervus nippon yakushimae) inhabit all of the lower Eastern Shore counties, with the highest density located in the marshes and wetlands of southern Dorchester County. But these hunters never expected to tag the deer they did, either. The No. No. Its left and right beams are 18 2/8 and 21 2/8 inches, respectively. Despite not having seen any deer on that hunt, he'd left his climber at the base of the tree after descending. All but one mass measurement is between 5 and 6 inches. 161 overall. Surprisingly, some of these tagged deer are still alive today (10+ years later)! On Feb. 23, 2005, he was shed hunting on one of those farms when he found a large non-typical shed antler about 50 yards from a ladder stand that is known as the "river ladder." "'I don't know,' I answered. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. Jay Downes bagged a 173-inch 4x4 with his shotgun. The deer has 19 points, over 23-inch main beams, and a 21 1/8-inch inside spread. The buck started quartering away. It was shot in 1994 by James H. McMurray. As dawn broke, enough light filtered into the bottom for the young hunter to see deer milling around on the far slope of the drainage. Its one of two nontypicals from the state to make the book. What a pretty rack. (1)A person may take possession of a deer or turkey that has been killed by means other than hunting by obtaining a confirmation number from the Department. Kevin and his brother, Brad, had nailed 8-foot 2x12s to a big, leaning locust tree to serve as the floor supports. In this case, the tag shall remain attached until the animal is processed by the hunter for consumption, disposed of by a processing facility or left with a taxidermist. "My wife usually works evenings. Please let us know if you find one! Maryland to Receive Information About Upcoming Shooting and Hunting Events, Programs and Initiatives, Deer Seasons, Bag Limits and Related Hunting Regulations, Permission to Enter - Landowner Consent Card, Deer Check-in Procedures and Online Check-in. Picked up in 2010, the 246 2/8-inch Michigan buck ranks No. Although the Millers love to hunt, farming comes first, and the operation keeps everyone busy harvesting crops and planting small grain in the fall. And so, thanks to Pete's "management" efforts, the buck made it through another hunting season. It doesnt have much in the way of beam length (21 5/8 and 21 7/8 inches), inside spread (14 1/8 inches), or mass (all measurements range from 3 3/8 to 4 5/8 inches), but it does have a lot of total tine length, and thats what pushes it be such a great whitetail. Most of these giants have come from the fertile Eastern Shore portion of the Delmarva Peninsula, where lush agricultural fields, coastal marshes and diverse inland woods have long supported a healthy deer population. But while the rest of Maryland has produced fewer monsters, they really can come from anywhere. You have a great view." For ease of use, deaf and hard of hearing hunters are encouraged to use the internet check-in site or mobile app. This buck sports a total of 27 points, 18 of which are abnormal. "I don't know that it was this buck, but I had never seen one with a bigger set of antlers." JavaScript is required to use content on this page. At 267 4/8 inches, it ranks No. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Haynes Shelton provides some tips for planning and setting up shooting lanes. Brian Butcher bagged the big one in Kansas in Chase County. After the 60-day drying period, Boone and Crockett scorer Bill Jones from Delaware provided the final score: 201 6/8 gross typical and 194 0/8 net! Two state Wildlife Management Area's (WMA's) in Dorchester County offer sika hunting opportunities. "I remember the first Tuesday of the 2005 shotgun season like it was yesterday," Billy recalls. "It was covered in blood, and there was a good blood trail leading away from the spot." Sentenced Under Maryland's New Anti-Poaching Law. "It was obvious that he was heading in the direction the other buck had gone. The Garrett buck is the lone Oregon nontypical in the books. A Kent County man convicted Tuesday of illegally killing a potential state record white-tailed deer was ordered to pay a fine, make restitution to the state and perform community service. The size of the right base is incredible. G.O. "Cecil County is just north of Kent County, where Kevin Miller killed his record buck," points out Charlie Prickett. Kevin Miller's enormous Maryland buck was a dream come true -- and not a moment too soon. Not really. If the hunter uses all of the spaces on the Big Game Harvest Record attached to the hunting license, additional Big Game Harvest Records can be created by the hunter or obtained free of charge through the COMPASS portal at. However, over the years, managers have learned that the sika predominantly lives most of its life in the sub optimal regions of the white-tailed deer's habitat; apparently lessening competition between the species. On Target: Are AR Rifles a Good Option for Whitetail Hunting. It has 24 total points, 23 6/8- and 28 3/8-inch main beams, and a 25 3/8-inch inside spread. It has 25 6/8- and 28 3/8-inch beams and a 19 5/8-inch inside spread. The palmation on the right side is insane. "You could tell he had a big mainframe and a few sticker points, but he was too far away to tell much more than that.". Opening day was here, and Kevin had checked into "The Hotel.". You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. "I was pretty sure it was the same buck whose shed I'd found on the beaver dam . The Deer Project utilizes broad-based deer management techniques to meet their diverse goals, which are: to ensure the present and future well-being of deer and their habitat; The man was sentenced for poaching a 17-point deer that was a potential state-record crossbow kill, based on Boone and Crocket scoring (Image from Maryland Department of Natural Resources press release) The area is less intensively farmed than are some of the better-known deer counties farther south, but otherwise it has a lot going for it as whitetail habitat. The Ritchie whitetail is No.

Baylor Hospital Dallas Patient Information, Nicehash Capital Gains, Signs You Have Shifted To A Parallel Reality, Where Do Depop Sellers Get Their Stock, Swap Meets Kansas City, Articles M