nagios check_ping define service

Apologies, mistyped. Was Aristarchus the first to propose heliocentrism? The $HOSTEXECUTIONTIME$ and $SERVICEEXECUTIONTIME$ macros can be used to determine the number of seconds a host or service check was running and the $HOSTLATENCY$ and $SERVICELATENCY$ macros can be used to determine how "late" a regularly-scheduled host or service check was. Plugins can return optional performance data in their output by sending the normal, human-readable text string that they usually would, followed by a pipe character (|), and then a string containing one or more performance data metrics. Hosts and service configurations are the building blocks of Nagios Core. 565), Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, New blog post from our CEO Prashanth: Community is the future of AI. define service { use generic-service ; Name of service template to use host_name Host-1 service_description PING check_command check_nrpe!check_ping } define service { use . NPCA includes a service module that can check if a service is stopped. Two MacBook Pro with same model number (A1286) but different year, Adding EV Charger (100A) in secondary panel (100A) fed off main (200A). Troubleshoot Identity Client (keystone) Connectivity Problems, 4.3. "Signpost" puzzle from Tatham's collection, Using an Ohm Meter to test for bonding of a subpanel. OpenStack Dashboard - Red Hat Access Tab", Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security for Kubernetes, Red Hat Advanced Cluster Management for Kubernetes, Logging, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting Guide, 1.1.1. The Nagios monitoring system can be used to provide monitoring and alerts for the OpenStack network and infrastructure. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. define command { command_name check-host-alive command_line $USER1$/check_ping -t 10 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 5 } The thing you post is a Nagios command. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Increased server, services, and application availability, Fast detection of network outages and protocol failures. The OP is still lurking. Thx. All OpenStack services can be reported, just ensure that a matching command is specified in the remote servers nrpe.cfg file. The check_snmp plugin will only get compiled and installed if you have the net-snmp and net-snmp-utils packages installed on your system. - basically any type of metric that the plugin is measuring when it executes. This means if the check_ping does not get a result in 10 seconds, the command will timeout. How about saving the world? Shared Filesystem Service (manila) Log Files, 1.1.14. I just mis-typed it here, sorry. The Industry Standard In IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Service or Daemon checks are system processes that run in the background, usually configured to start when the system boots. Monitoring Using Nagios", Collapse section "3. You could use "Custom Variable Macros" (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/macros.html). 565), Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, New blog post from our CEO Prashanth: Community is the future of AI. This might include things like service check latency (i.e. Tip: You can usually find the OIDs that can be monitored on a switch by running the following command (replace 192.168.1.253 with the IP address of the switch): Which language's style guidelines should be used when writing code that is supposed to be called from another language? The "AVG" option tells it that it should use average bandwidth statistics. Extracting arguments from a list of function calls. The hyperbolic space is a conformally compact Einstein manifold. It is great for things like number of services or what load or how much memory each machine has. The module defines a "good" service as one that is running and a "bad" service is one that is not running, so you can define critical is when more than 0 "good" services exist. More expensive switches and routers have addresses assigned to them and can be monitored by pinging them or using SNMP to query status information. I also had same problem and the above answers did not work for me. Content Discovery initiative April 13 update: Related questions using a Review our technical responses for the 2023 Developer Survey, Can execute nagios ssh check manually but get 126/127 out of bounds error from nagios, Different Nagios email notifications for different services, Nagios host notifications not sending via email or logging, Nagios - "Unable to send check for host" or "run check for service". How do you Null an inherited service check in nagios? I could not found the ping on /usr/bin/ping. Add the following service definition to monitor the uptime of the switch. Is there another (safer) option, such as adding the Nagios user to ping's group or something? The "1000000,2000000" options are the warning thresholds (in bytes) for incoming and outgoing traffic rates respectively. Remote Logging Installation and Configuration", Collapse section "1.3. nagios (Last Notification: N/A (notification 0)). Can you still use Commanders Strike if the only attack available to forego is an attack against an ally? However, in the end, that's what I did - and it works. Our tech support team is happy to help you with any questions you might have. Community Support Forums For Nagios Open Source Projects, Community Support Forums For Nagios Commercial Products, https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag gmain.html. What positional accuracy (ie, arc seconds) is necessary to view Saturn, Uranus, beyond? So for example, I'd like to have a host in the linux-server host group, which inherits several services (SSH, Disk, PING, etc), but for specific services I want to override with their own unique values, define a service specific to that host, with custom values. Modify host_name appropriately. Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. If all goes fine then you can add more services running on the host that can be accessed remotely Checking SSH service We can use something like this to configure check for SSH service. . Here Host, warning and critical thresholds were passing by Nagios host as below, define service { use generic-service hostgroup_name all-servers service_description Host Ping Status check_command check_nrpe_args!check_ping_args!localhost!3000.0,80%!5000.0,100% } Share Follow answered Apr 28, 2020 at 1:45 Hasitha 698 8 16 Add a comment If you create the same check in the host cfg, then it'll override the hostgroup check. What does 'They're at four. Note: You should specify % after the second number in the threshold limit pair. The "5000000,5000000" are critical thresholds (in bytes) for incoming and outgoing traffic rates respectively. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. I can ping the nagios server and the nagios server is able to ping the server. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. I've taken a screenshot, and am updating the question with the screenshot. Create new host and service definitions for monitoring the device, CRITICAL if the round trip average (RTA) is greater than 600 milliseconds or the packet loss is 60% or more, WARNING if the RTA is greater than 200 ms or the packet loss is 20% or more, OK if the RTA is less than 200 ms and the packet loss is less than 20%. It seems that Nagios is not running the correct command. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? NSClient++ includes a service module that can check if a service is running. Simply change the host check command to use check_host rather than check_ping. What should I follow, if two altimeters show different altitudes? What is Wario dropping at the end of Super Mario Land 2 and why? You can always comment these services out if they are no longer needed by prefacing each line with a '#' character. Host is just like a computer; it can be a physical device or virtual. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. This same file can be used to add new OpenStack monitoring services. by Box293 Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:34 pm, Post Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. I find it very strange that there are entries in /usr/bin that normal users are not allowed to run? By using decimals in your check_interval I have a feeling it's throwing the math off. PerfParse), the addon may be expecting that the plugin returns performance data in a specific format. Add the following service definition in order to monitor packet loss and round trip average between the Nagios host and the switch every 5 minutes under normal conditions. Install the Nagios Service", Expand section "4.7. The object file localhost.cfg allows for parameters to be passed to check_ssh. I'm not much of a nagios expert, but I do love it. The interval at which these commands are executed are governed by the host_perfdata_file_processing_interval and service_perfdata_file_processing_interval options, respectively. Nagios - Configure a hostgroup to include all the hosts of another group? "Signpost" puzzle from Tatham's collection. This should be specified as %age. 2. A boy can regenerate, so demons eat him for years. If Nagios Core can't get a response to its check, then it will flag the state of the service as CRITICAL, and will try again up to two more times before sending a notification. Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. 4.0.8 . Website Copyright 2009-2023 Nagios Enterprises, LLC. Note: The Nagios daemon doesn't directly process plugin performance data, so it doesn't really care what the performance data looks like. Add OpenStack monitoring to the local server. ', referring to the nuclear power plant in Ignalina, mean? In the example above, the "/var/lib/mrtg/192.168.1.253_1.log" option that gets passed to the check_local_mrtgtraf command tells the plugin which MRTG log file to read from. Contact Us, Awards Remove the leading pound (#) sign from the following line in the main configuration file: What did you just do? Log Files for OpenStack Services", Collapse section "1.1. Was Aristarchus the first to propose heliocentrism? Check web-interface user name and password, and check basic configuration. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. It only takes a minute to sign up. See this page for details on it's usage: http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_ping Instead, I believe you'll need to use the check_http command to verify the web server is responding. Why in the Sierpiski Triangle is this set being used as the example for the OSC and not a more "natural"? It's not running 'on' the remote host - the check_ping command is running a ping on the nagios server against the remote host. Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange! Assuming we are using the host definition given earlier and a check_ping command defined like this: define command { command_name check_ping command_line /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ } The expanded/final command line to be executed for the service's check command would look like this: the '-t 10' is not the interval, but the timeout argument. Checking a service using SNMP is not very straight forward, checking a process is the best solution here, please refer to the Process Checks KB article. If you want to ensure that a specific port/interface on the switch is in an up state, you could add a service definition like this: In the example above, the "-o ifOperStatus.1" refers to the OID for the operational status of port 1 on the switch. If your switch supports SNMP, you can monitor port status, etc. What is the symbol (which looks similar to an equals sign) called? At a minimum, the following must be done: If the OpenStack cloud includes distributed hosts: /etc/nagios/objects/ObjectsDir/ObjectsFile.cfg. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. check_ping command is a Nagios plugin that is used to check the ping output of a remote server. Documentation, Purchase Online Maybe you could look there and get credit for the answer if you have ideas. I'm not sure if this is common use or not, but this article blew my mind when it came to setting up the config files. This value can be viewed in the /etc/nagios/cgi.cfg file. For example: Each defined command can then be specified in the services.cfg file on the Nagios monitoring server. Install the Nagios Service", Collapse section "3.1. Which language's style guidelines should be used when writing code that is supposed to be called from another language? The sample configuration entries below reference objects that are defined in the sample config files (commands.cfg, templates.cfg, etc.) If anyone has any advice on insights on how to get this working, I'd very much appreciate it! Actually called check_host, without the 's'. Nagios provides complete monitoring of Ping - including reachability and packet loss. At a minimum, Nagios plugins must return a single line of human-readable text that indicates the status of some type of measurable data. What risks are you taking when "signing in with Google"? rev2023.4.21.43403. If total energies differ across different software, how do I decide which software to use? That's where you'll be adding host and service definitions for routers and switches. I haven't changed the definition of how check_ping works, and can confirm that I'm getting a "PING OK" whenever the command is run the same way that check-host-alive runs the command, so I cannot figure out what's going on! Which ability is most related to insanity: Wisdom, Charisma, Constitution, or Intelligence? How about saving the world? If you like to change this, use -t option. I was fairly certain that running chmod U+s /usr/bin/ping would solve the issue, but I was (and still am) wary about chmod'ing system files. Troubleshoot Keystone v3 Dashboard Authentication, 4.7. The Nagios server will receive traffic from a broad scope of systems. It does seem to be registering on some level as in my Nagios logs I can see: since there is no predefined argument to specify the port, like --port=$ARG1$ in the definition, but only a generic place holder. Unexpected uint64 behaviour 0xFFFF'FFFF'FFFF'FFFF - 1 = 0? Check WMI Plus allows you to check multiple services, here is an example that checks for two services that are running. Nagios Plugins does not include a service plugin however the linux-nrpe-agent does provide check_init_service. If additional machines are being used in the cloud, in addition to the host on which Nagios is installed, they must be made known to Nagios by configuring them in an objects file: In the file, specify a host section for each machine on which an OpenStack service is running and should be monitored: In the /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg file, under the OBJECT CONFIGURATION FILES section, specify the following line: To monitor remote services, you must define those services in a new file; in this procedure, /etc/nagios/objects/services.cfg: In the /etc/nagios/objects/commands.cfg file, specify the following to handle the use of the check_nrpe plugin with remote scripts or plugins: In the file, specify the following service sections for each remote OpenStack host to be monitored: The above sections ensure that a server heartbeat, load check, and the OpenStack Identity service status are reported back to the Nagios server. Below is the full define host {} template I'm using: For anyone else who runs into this issue, there's another option than changing permissions on ping. Looking for job perks? Testimonials is there such a thing as "right to be heard"? "Signpost" puzzle from Tatham's collection, What "benchmarks" means in "what are benchmarks for? Why xargs does not process the last argument? But ultimately, does not work as if I check the "performance data" of the service check results, I can see in there that the threshold included in the data is that of the group check, not the host check. Processing Performance Data Using Commands. The plugin returns a CRITICAL state if the service is not started. Content Discovery initiative April 13 update: Related questions using a Review our technical responses for the 2023 Developer Survey, Nagios host notifications not sending via email or logging, Using Nagios check_log command doesn't work, Nagios: How to check service three times a day, nagios - nsclient - nsca - host_check message. How to Make a Black glass pass light through it? Nagios services can have high CPU overhead if SSH is used. Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. English version of Russian proverb "The hedgehogs got pricked, cried, but continued to eat the cactus". NRPE is for more complicated checks, where you need to run commands directly on the remote server. Did the Golden Gate Bridge 'flatten' under the weight of 300,000 people in 1987? Uploaded the 2 files you requested. In your ping service definition use e.g. The interval between checks in this example is 5 minutes (check_interval). Two MacBook Pro with same model number (A1286) but different year. I am using nagios ver. rev2023.4.21.43403. For example, the following script checks the number of Compute instances, and is stored in a file named nova-list: In the /etc/nagios/objects/commands.cfg file, specify a command section for each new script: In the /etc/nagios/objects/localhost.cfg file, define a service for each new item, using the defined command. "host_name !zlinux_hostname". Take a look at the main config documentation: So, I was able to make all the necessary changes. That's it for the SNMP monitoring example. Below are the command definitions for check-host-alive as well as check_ping. Could you add more details? by rkennedy Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:51 pm, Post It will have quite a lot of load on the system as well. Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Arranging it this way allows me to only add custom services, and service checks that aren't the norm in the host definition. Verify that the updated configuration is working: If errors occur, check the parameters set in /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg, /etc/nagios/services.cfg, and /etc/nagios/hosts.cfg. name host-services ; The name of this host template check_period extendhours ; By default, switches are monitored round the clock check_interval 0.30 ; Switches are checked every 5 minutes retry_interval 0.20 ; Schedule host check retries at 1 minute intervals max_check_attempts 3 ; Check each switch 10 times (max) This tutorial explains how you can use check_ping command with some basic examples. However, if you are using an external addon to process the performance data (i.e. It is not possible to set intervals of less then one minute with Nagios. Services are those which are used by Nagios to check something about a host. After some checking the issue further noticed that the reason is IP protocol. If this is the *first* switch you're monitoring, you can simply modify the sample host definition in switch.cfg. My linux box uses a nonstandard port for ssh. Some links that lead me to believe this feature should already be implemented: Furthermore, I've checked my copy of the xdata/xodtemplate.c file from the 3.4.1 source code, and at a glance it does seem that in the "skip list", that host level checks are meant to take precedence over the hostgroup checks. They are: To make your life a bit easier, a few configuration tasks have already been done for you: The above-mentioned config files can be found in the /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/ directory. By default the check_ping command will send 5 ICMP ECHO packets.

Anecdotas Cristianas Sobre Avanzar, Alio Employee Portal Kcps, Deagel 2025 Australia, Igcse 2021 Exam Dates Malaysia, Environmental Science And Sustainability By Sherman And Montgomery Pdf, Articles N