newfoundland towns with funny names

As a gift to the city, Kimmel installed a large Hollywood-style sign with the name of the town. The coast of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. So many of them have an interesting settler story or otherwise originate in local Indigenous languages. The Battle Harbour Historic Trust maintains the buildings, runs cultural programs, and preserves much of the once humming community as a living museum. These days, Vulcan has fully embraced its inevitable sci-fi connection, boasting a replica of the starship Enterprise and a bust of Spock himself. Thanks to TravelAwaits reader Natalie, the villages along Green Bay South have hit my travel radar. Discover 10 of the best things to do in Jasper. Whether you plan on flying or taking the ferry to Newfoundland, youll have to carefully plan your transportation when you arrive. When a country is mentioned, I usually first think of its landscapes. Come by Chance. Because your town is no laughing matter. Some time has passed since I explored Germany, Austria, and Hungary along the Danube with Viking River Cruises last summer; however, thanks to #culinarytravelweek, hosted by our fellow Saveur-award winning friends at The Funnelogy Channel, I currently dont feel too far away from the experience. Brigus is one such startling photogenic town, and its just down the road from Cupids, where we stayed during our road trip. The town wasactually named after settler and acrobat, Alfred Mayo. Happy Adventure Virgin Cove, Cupids, Spectacle Head/Photo: D. Minty/Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. But that leaves thousands of adorable small towns waiting for intrepid travelers to drop in. Newfoundland and Labrador at Confederation in 1949 had nearly 1,450 communities. On a recent trip to the island, I found myself stopping often to snap photos of "Welcome To" signs for towns with names like Tilting, Heart's Desire, and Come by Chance. Seeking dessert, we continued on to Brigus, and arrived at the Country Corner. then added an order of scones with jam and scalded cream, because why the heck not? No place name in Newfoundland has raised more eyebrows or been the topic of more speculation and conversation than that of the town of Dildo. Here are 10 Canadian history podcasts worth adding to your playlist. "From Dildo to Dead Man's Pond: the Stories behind Newfoundland Place Names." Sue Bailey, Canadian Press, February 25, 2015. No one said that the most adorable small towns in Newfoundland had to be from the modern age, did they? Too good to be true? Chimney Tickle Okay, ya this town name has nothing to do with actual fries. Next up, our adventures at the dreamy Doctor's Inn. A statue has even been erected in honour of the citys namesakehe stands at the entrance to the town, and locals call him Flinty. Some other noteworthy nomenclatures include: There are also a number of great place names that people have, for one reason or another, elected to change. The name was particularly fitting given that the community was established so that CPR trains could stop for water near the Moose Jaw river. Did we miss any? When the English moved into the area the place became known simply as Cow Head. Placentia was settled by Basque sailors in the 1500s, who named it after a Spanish seaport, Plentzia. Maybe it sounds silly to outsiders, and possibly a tad dirty. You can experience a glimpse of this powerful industry by going on a fishing excursion from the island. Suffice it to say, Flin Flon remains the only city in Canada to be named after a science fiction character. Here are their top picks. Well now you do! Thats when the Southern Shore Dinner Theatre is in full swing, combining food, humor, history, and theater in a memorable performance. This seems unlikely, however, as it would be very unusual to name a place based on something that isn't there, as is implied by the name Witless Bay. One evening, a local family Kolitha, Deepthi, Chamodi, and Dilumi hosted me for a cooking lesson and dinner. In Brigus, we discovered our hearts delight (blueberry crumble), our hearts content (diner fish and chips), and our hearts desire (toutons, always toutons). The Five Most Populous Municipalities in Newfoundland and Labrador. There are at least two potential origins for this striking name. We want to inspire you to explore new destinations, discover new experiences and savor the journey. Originally called Passage Harbour, the area was later referred to (in a 1706 dispatch by a Major Lloyd concerning a battle between the English and French) as Comby Chance. Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Below is a listof Newfoundland place names that will make you blush: Black Tickle Locals reportedly use the latter, with Stoner presumably a modern-day derivative. Some say settlers burned the . While I'm sure the town would agree it's a great place for a run, that's not how the town got its name. This railway community was initially going to be called Heda, but once the train station was built, early residents ended up calling it Entrancelikely because it sat at the entrance to the Jasper Forest Reserve. Here are 10 fascinating Titanic facts you probably didnt know. These are just a few of the many interesting and colourful place names of Newfoundland. But to the modern ear, some of the towns and inlets of in Newfoundland and Labrador sound downright dirty! (Also bears the distinction of being the only town in the world with two exclamation points in its name. It is believed that the cylindrical object in this case referred to the pin on a rowboat used to attach the oar, also known as the thole pin. Perhaps the stereotype is true.. Newfoundlanders just LOVE to talk! This genteel community, once a bustling center of commerce and trade in the 1700s and 1800s, was known as the Capital of Labrador. Hundreds of communities were resettled by the government, mostly in the mid-1900s. Tools. You do not have to be Catholic, or believe in the purported healing powers of Father Duffy's Well, to appreciate the story of this Catholic priest and his little roadside spring. The third and most colourful theory purports that the name comes from a Madame named Kitty Vitty who operated a "house of ill repute" in the area. Did you know there are only 973 official towns in Canada? Born in Ashton-under-Lyne, England, in 1843, Charles Drinkwater was the first corporate secretary of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, and the namesake for this Saskatchewan village. They had no idea how much joy they would be bringing future, immature Canadians. Blow Me Down is a small fishing community located on the tip of the Port de Grave Peninsula. The communities embody the warmth and friendliness that Newfoundland is known for, and you wont be in the area long before you have some new friends. Believe it or not, there was a time when St. Marys was even cuter than it is today. Here are 20 of the best places to spend Christmas in Canada. During my time in Sri Lanka I was taught how to cook on many occasions, and only half the time did my teachers and I share a common language. These cliches are overused, but in Newfoundland, I argue that they arent used enough. Section of coastline, Bonavista, Bonavista Bay. We are, however, still trying to figure out where the town name Dildo fits in, other than being perfectly hilarious. Many of these communities have unusual names as interesting and as colourful as the people who live there and the places themselves. 231, which, of course, begs the question: where are the other 230? If this particular shrub was running rampant throughout the rest of the province, perhaps it would be notable for its absence in this area, but it is not. The province consists of the island of Newfoundland, as well as Labrador, which is located on the mainland bordering Quebec. 32 Of The Weirdest Town Names From Every Province And Territory In Canada, Photo 60487610 Bounder32h - Dreamstime.com, 8 Tim Hortons Fails That Are So Relatable They Hurt. You'd better not forget it.". Little Bay Islands is its smallest town by population with zero residents, and Brent's Cove is the smallest town by land area with 1.02km2 (0.39sqmi). Ur-in Saskatchewan! So proud, in fact, its residentsRadvilliteseven refer to themselves as diehard flatlanders. This devotion dates back to the early days of the settlement, when one of the first acts of the towns founders was to have the pesky hill on Main Street levelled off. This Saskatchewan village was settled by Christ Fugelstad, an immigrant from Climax, Minnesota, who was apparently either terribly homesick or terribly unimaginative. Emo may have a population of just 1,200, but thats nothing to get depressed aboutin fact, its the fastest growing community in Northwestern Ontarios Rainy River District. This Manitoba-Saskatchewan border town was originally called Consul. Some say it comes from settlers who bribed Peter Easton (the same pirate responsible for Happy Adventure!) Though the exact origin of some of these place names is known, for many this information has been forever lost to history, and the best we can do is make an educated guess based on legend, folklore, and oral tradition. Apparently, the settlers who came from Garnish Island in County Cork were so stunned by the regions similarities to their birthplace, they gave it the same name. Aptly named for the massive asbestos mine that used to be in business in the town. Rafting on the Exploits River/Photo Courtesy of Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. Some of them have really interesting histories! Explore Canadas most haunted placesif you dare! Leading Tickles. Brigus was established in 1612 by English, Welsh, and Irish Settlers, and the name comes from 'Brickhouse,' an old town in England; it's charming to note how the Newfoundland accent took ownership of the original name. Frogmore - Ontario, Dorking - Ontario, Bastard - Ontario. One of the best things about Newfoundland is finding towns that look like perfectly preserved movie sets; bright-coloured houses and white picket fences dot picturesque harbours, and theres usually at least two freshly-painted wooden churches. Nobody knows for sure where this picturesque Southern Shore community got its name, but there are a number of theories. In the community of Kings Point, check out the striking Kings Point Pottery. Vienna: Traditional Coffee Houses vs. Starbucks, Melk: A 'Welcome to Austria' Feast and a Visit to the Melk Abbey, My Subversive Grandmum, and a Sri Lankan Adventure. The imagery is like something out of a strange dream, but Salmon Arm actually refers to the huge concentration of salmon that used to found in the southwest arm of B.C.s Shuswap Lake. Nineteenth-century settlers James Leigh and John Jennings named Pontypool after a town in their homeland of Wales. After hanging out with geoducks and oyster seeds, it was time to toast the shellfish industry in the Comox Valley. but for its relatively small population, the Rock way over-indexes on giggle-worthy town names. Here are 10 Canadian hotels that have hosted royal guests. Google Analytics cant tell you that Goldie Parsons, who comments from Toronto, is originally from Glovertown, Newfoundland, or thatLynn Rowsell used to know a fishing spot called Old Maams Crack. Hearts Desire Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve, a UNESCO world heritage site, is home to an accurately preserved 565-million-year-old seafloor that contains fossils of the oldest complex life forms on earth. The coast of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Enjoy More Funny Things about Canada on YouTube: So there you have it, my list of strange and odd names of towns and funny city names right here in Canada. I bet the Jerry they named this town after is a pretty sweet guy, too. The berg got its nickname . From Dildo, Nfld to Stoner, B.C., theres no shortage of hilarious town names in Canada that make tourists stop in their tracks to snag a photo with the welcome sign. [1] Newfoundland and Labrador has 278 municipalities, including 3 cities, 270 towns, and 5 Inuit community governments, which cover only 2.3% of the province's land mass but are home to 90% of its population. Ah, thank you Ball brothers, for your giving your seemingly innocuous name to these two waterfalls. I can't. Salmon's don't have arms, British Columbia, are you high? Bad Names for Towns: Funny American Place Names. These Small Towns in France Are Straight Out of a Storybook, 13 Best Cape Cod Hotels, From Falmouth to Provincetown, The Most Beautiful Places in Portugal, From Douro Valley Vineyards to the Islets of the Azores, Exploring France's Enchanting Villages With My Father on a Seine River Cruise, In Northern Canada's Desolation Sound, Salmon Is Everything, 14 Best Airbnbs in Boston, From a Beacon Hill Townhouse to a Charlestown House Boat. When a second railway station nearby was renamed Entrance, the original station became known as Old Entrance. In the nearby community of Port Rexton, youll find the Skerwink Trail, which was named one of the top 25 walks in North America and Europe by Travel + Leisure magazine. Vulcan is a town within a county of the same name! In fact, to keep up with demand, the town is currently fundraising to build a local wedding chapel. All that really matters is that people from Dildo are known as Dildonians. Today, the station has been transformed into a bed and breakfast: trains may not be passing through any more, but its still a perfect stopover for tourists en route to the Rocky Mountains. Incorporated towns and cities are incorporated municipalities and can be found on List of municipalities in Newfoundland and Labrador. "Pokemouche" comes from the Mi'qmak word, "Pokomjpetk," which essentially translates to "saltwater place where there is an abundance of fish." Take a virtual tour of the most famous houses in every province. It has a population of 525,000 (in 2020) making it the 9th province in population and the 10th in area with its . Perhaps someone used this island to get on the wagon back in the day. Literary fans will be keen to know that this is where Annie Proulx wrote The Shipping News. The meaning is pretty straightforward, though, if you speak Maliseet. He had been to Newfoundland before and had surveyed the Carbonear and Harbour Grace areas of Conception Bay, as well as St. John's Harbour, Bay Bulls, and Placentia. The community celebrated its centenary in 2017 with an old-fashioned town picnic and Bullarama rodeo. The most romantic story from this school of thought is that the Portuguese explorer Gasper de Corte Real gave the place its name after sailing into the harbour on Trinity Sunday, 1501. Here are 10 caves in Canada that are worth exploring. Legend has it that the name comes from the Venetian explorer Giovanni Caboto (John Cabot) who, upon setting foot on the land that is now the site of the modern day Bonavista, declared "O buon vista", meaning "oh, happy sight". Following its heyday in the 30s and 40s, Cheddar emptied out, as Haliburton took off as a popular cottage destination and the roads began to bypass Cheddar. Hopefully I don't offend anybody, but these names existed long, long before other uses of the word. Your email address will not be published. It is not known exactly how the river originally got its name, but it would probably be safe to assume that it was because someone had come upon it by chance. One of the first villages incorporated in P.E.I., Crapaud is a popular stop-over for travellers on the Trans-Canada Highway. In this article we explore 13 out of the literally thousands of amazing things to do in Canadaone amazing thing for each province and territory. The unforgettable community is small but still going strong: as of 2016 the population numbered 55a 57 per cent increase from 2011! Even just for the jokes alone, it's well worth a visit. When locals speak, its with a lilt not found anywhere else! We checked into the Orient Hotel, and I discovered my room overlooked a golden-domed mosque. Share. What do you find between Hearts Delight and Hearts Content? Its a topic of conversation best approached with sensitivity and respect. Youll want to check out these great day trips from Calgary. The vernacular of Newfoundlanders is rich in unusual words, sayings, and expressions, so much so that many people believe the province has a language all its own. By, ducky, me son, andmloveare terms you will hear all the time, tacked on to the end of most sentences, as terms of endearment. The Inn is also home to Padraigs Folly, the tiniest pub in Newfoundland! Naming tips: When naming your Newfie, you will be using the name you pick many times each day in lots of different situations. The name supposedly comes from a sailor who saw a large rock from the sea and thought it resembled, well A cows head. Vanessa Chiasson is an award-winning writer specializing in travel, food and drink, lifestyle, and current events. If the quest to find the most adorable village in Newfoundland was a competition, St. Marys Harbour (or just plain old St. Marys to locals) just might win the whole thing in part because it has a couple tricks up its sleeves. Its considered bad form in travel writing to use phrases like charming, quaint, and hidden gem. LAnse aux Meadows was surely a stunner of a town around 1000 A.D. when it was North Americas premier Norse settlement. It is not known for certain where Quidi Vidi got its name but there are three main theories. [2] The provincial capital of St. John's is the largest city by population and land area, with 110,525 residents and 446.02km2 (172.21sqmi). Newfoundland Place Names That Will Make You Blush, Our Favourite Nova Scotia Beach: Cleveland Beach, The Imps Motorcycle Display Team from London, England The Stars of the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo (Family Fun Halifax). Hawthorne Cottage National Historic Site. Like saucy place names? we arrived in Vienna, a city famous for its coffee culture. Given that this town of 7,000 was once home to a vast asbestos mine, the source of its name is no mystery. And that's not much better than Bitter End, Tennessee, or Hurt, Virginia, whose names make most people want to avoid them. Tickle Harbour. I was surprised at how low that number is, considering our vast size, but that's the official number of incorporated towns. Another townname that is a lot less weird once translated. If ever there was an apt occasion to use those adjectives, it's to describe Brigus, Trinity, Ferryland, L'Anse Aux Meadows, and beyond. Thank you for your writings, words and comments made me laugh Not after it became famously associated with the "Shawinigan handshake," Jean Chrtien's famous chokehold on an anti-poverty protestor in 1996. [2] Little Bay Islands is its smallest municipality by population, and Brent's Cove is the smallest municipality by land area. Did I inspire a bit of wanderlust? If their small but growing Instagram page is any indication, this might just be the most beautiful spot in all of Newfoundland and Labrador. Founded in 1914, Legal owes its name to Emile Legal, the bishop of St. Albert, Alberta. It turns out Toogood was likely a surname of early settlers of this coastal community on New World Island off the northeastern coast of Newfoundland. Mirror, Alberta. All rights reserved. Irish settlers originally named this municipality the Parish of St. Malachy, after a 12thcentury Archbishop. We asked our community on Facebook to nominate their favourite, most hilarious and unforgettable small town Canadian names. Newfoundland and Labrador is the easternmost province of Canada, and is one of the four Atlantic provinces. This is the story of how this most beloved feature of the park came to be there. Someone says Bolivia, and salt flats appear. In an interview Friday, Pretty said he noticed from his very first photograph that the iceberg, in an area of the province known as Conception Bay, had online potential. Plan accordingly and stay safe! Ken Pretty says he . You're not from some unforgettable Smallville. [2] Postville is the smallest Inuit community government by population in the province with 188 residents, while Hopedale is the smallest by land area with 2.18km2 (0.84sqmi). The name of this town has apparently changed spelling seven times, likely in an attempt to anglicize the Indigenous word which refers to a raised or jutting out place for portaging in the Mauricie area. We've got the complete list to gawk over. Take a peek at Ontarios most famous ghost town. Some 365 artists and craftspeople are represented inside. This seems very unlikely however, as the town appears on early Portuguese maps as Bay de St. Cyria. Come by Chance Every August, Brigus welcomes thousands of people to the communitys annual blueberry festival. Stop the press! RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT. Two great things: discovering new ways to eat sweets, and learning from experienced cooks. It is easy to imagine in a place so heavily settled by the Irish that there could be a community filled with red haired, pale skinned, freckled faced inhabitants for which the place got its name. Throughout its long history, Brigus has raised many sea captains, the most famous of which is Robert Bartlett, known as the greatest arctic navigator of the 20th century. It is a priority for CBC to create products that are accessible to all in Canada including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges. Funny town names that have to do with food, like this Alabama town, are the coolest. A combination of excavation work and restoration work allows visitors to get a feel for what the Viking encampment might have looked like. You might know this one from the Feist song! Cupids, Happy Adventure/Photo Courtesy of Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism, Dildo In Spring 2016, I published an article on Family Fun Canada, titled Newfoundland Place Names That Will Make You Blush. 1. Did I get people talking? The first coffee house appeared in 1685 and quickly gained popularity, thus beginning a long-standing cultural tradition. Theres also an annual Star Trek convention, the appropriately titled Vul-Con. This compact community has plenty of history as well. Dock on Little Bay Islands. The text was brief (Buzzfeed-style) and the photos, provided by Newfoundland and Labrador Tourismwere stunning. Audience Relations, CBC P.O. See the table below for reference. Here are some of the more . Required fields are marked *. This is where Lord Baltimore founded the Colony of Avalon in 1621 before heading down to Maryland to settle his namesake city. St. John's occupies an area of 446.04 square km, was . Newfoundland and Labrador is the ninth-most populous province in Canada, with 510,550 residents recorded in the 2021 Canadian Census, and is the seventh-largest in land area, with 358,170 km 2 (138,290 sq mi). On Brigus harbour theres also a famous tunnel, which was hand-blasted in 1860 over 4 months in order to provide easier access to the deep-water dock for exploration and fishing vessels. This funny Canadian town name was inspired by The Daily Mirror, a London-based tabloid. But today, its attracting visitors and archeologists from around the world. There are just over 100 people who call Bacon Cove home, and it seems there are as many origin stories for how this small fishing community got its name. Like the other 20 plus localities in the Province also named Blow Me Down, the exact origin of the name is unknown. It is not know for certain how Trinity got its name, but the topic is one of much speculation. The words Sri Lanka have always summoned thoughts of women plucking handfuls of tea, tiny figures within expansive green hills. In Newfoundland, a taxi driver might ask Where ya at? The origins are from the word, "tluu7uus," in Nitinaht, which means "camping place.". Others believe the name comes from a Nakoda man who was hunting beaver in the area and pretended to be dead to avoid getting caught. . . When I sat down to write this, I had a cup of tea next to me. In the mid-20thcentury, it became a popular destination for Jewish families beating a retreat from sweltering Toronto summers. Originally dubbed Cape Pointe by the famous French explorer Jacques Cartier, it was later named Tete de Vache, which means head of a cow because of a large rock on the shoreline that, when viewed from the sea, looks like the head of a cow. From the coast of Newfoundland's Come By Chance to the snowy mountains of Yukon's Destruction Bay, these towns possess some of the most unique names in Canada. Today, archaeologists are at work to uncover the housing foundations and cobblestone streets from the 17th century its like a village emerging within a village! We ordered a hearty portion of baked beans with toutons and molasses. Erik Mclean on Unsplash. If you've ever wondered what a crunchy oyster tastes like, the wild-growing oyster leaf in Newfoundland will satisfy your curiousity (photo: Nikki Bayley). The place names I mentioned werent actually funny, but kind of dirty: Virgin Cove, Tickle Cove, Conception Bay, Muddy Hole and of course, Dildo. This article contains funny American place names, from Gun Barrel City, Texas, to Why, Arizona. Top 120 Cities in the World with Funny Names. [4] The five Inuit community governments were formed in 2005 with the signing of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement. Relive the glory days of the railroad with these unique train rides across Canada. Find outwhy Newfoundland is the kindest province. Long before Star Trek, Vulcan was a Roman God of Fire. List of municipalities in Newfoundland and Labrador, a province of Canada, Articles related to municipalities in Newfoundland and Labrador, List of municipalities in Newfoundland and Labrador, Mount Carmel-Mitchells Brook-St. Catherines, Small Point-Adam's Cove-Blackhead-Broad Cove, St. Vincent's-St. Stephen's-Peter's River, List of census agglomerations in Atlantic Canada, List of communities in Newfoundland and Labrador, List of designated places in Newfoundland and Labrador, List of population centres in Newfoundland and Labrador, "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, 2021 and 2016 censuses 100% data", "Population and dwelling counts: Canada, provinces and territories, census divisions and census subdivisions (municipalities), Newfoundland and Labrador", "Newfoundland and Labrador Municipal and Inuit Community Government Directory", Newfoundland and Labrador: Municipal and Provincial Affairs, Newfoundland and Labrador based companies, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_municipalities_in_Newfoundland_and_Labrador&oldid=1135986427, Municipalities in Newfoundland and Labrador, Lists of populated places in Newfoundland and Labrador, All Wikipedia articles written in Canadian English, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 28 January 2023, at 02:21.

Robins Financial Repo Lot, What Size Tunisian Crochet Hook For Dk Yarn, How To Include Xbox Party Chat In Streamlabs Obs, Israel Keyes Tammie Hawkins, Articles N