openstax psychology 2e apa citation

Additionally, a website title is in italics. This textbook covers all of the areas covered in most general psychology courses. Created Nov. 25, 2019 by OpenStax, Rice University. Finally, the authors addressed the replication issues in the psychology discipline, both in the research chapter and where appropriate throughout the book. This is a mediocre text at best and reads like it was written by people whose understanding of the material rests on their reading of other introductory texts or having only taught the introductory class. Publisher. All the topics that I would expect to teach are covered. Many intro My current textbook does not include IO content. As a licensed clinical psychologist, educator, and volunteer director, Rose is able to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and facilitate treatment, advocacy, and education. The depth of coverage for each content area is appropriate for students who have never delved The text is divided into sections that are evenly broken up by graphics, text boxes, or links to other sources. How do you in text cite a book with no author APA? Reviewed by Bonnie Ekstrom, Adjunct Faculty Life Vision Coach/Counselor, Red Lake Nation College on 12/15/22, Psychology 2e is a comprehensive introductory psychology resource. This tutorial serves as an introduction to citation according to APA formatting and style guidelines. 5 has, in at least two places, confusing diagrams of the eyeball. Psychology incorporates discussions that reflect the diversity within the discipline, as well as the diversity of cultures and communities across the globe. 2020-07-31T20:03:42Z The impact of culture and ethnicity on behavior is noted several times throughout the textbook. The adolescent protagonists of the sequence, Enrique and Rosa, are Arturos son and , The payout that goes with the Nobel Prize is worth $1.2 million, and its often split two or three ways. Changes made in Psychology 2e are described in the preface to help instructors transition to the second edition. As a teaching preference, I do like to teach the Sensation and Perception chapter after the Neuroscience chapter. this text is very nearly a joy to read in regards to clarity. The textbook includes the standard range of relevant research in psychology, from foundational, classic studies to current research and topics of interest. Psychology is designed to meet scope and sequence requirements for the single-semester introduction to psychology course. There is also no information on multisensory work, which is a recent (but extremely important) area of research. In Everyday Connections, topics of relevant current issues that students are familiar with are presented for discussion. It provides an excellent OER alternative to any standard textbook, without students having to worry about exorbitant fees, access codes, etc. One thing I did notice while clicking on a link that talked about jobs in psychology made the rating lower than a 5. I will more than likely adopt this text in the future. 13.1 What Is Industrial and Organizational Psychology? Title Author License In other words: T = Title. I know some OpenStax books have this option but I wasnt able to find it with this one. English. The chapters also have gray boxes with themes such as "connect the concepts," "link to learning," and "dig deeper.". It begins and ends in a similar manner for each chapter. The glossary at the end of each chapter provides the reader with an easy way to access and review key terms, and the chapter summary that follows These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. If there is a colon (:) or question mark in the title, also capitalize the first letter of the first word after the colon or question mark. The information is presented concisely and poignantly. This helps the learner understand how psychology connects to our everyday lives. In my review, I did not come across any specific terminology or context that was not well defined; however, my students come from very different backgrounds and some find this text to be challenging to get through. However, the textbook could provide more information on female and minority contributions to the field. Often students never take another course in Psych. Psychology 2e. How do you cite an online textbook with no page numbers in APA? Home The textbook is engaging, includes colorful images, provides several examples of different psychological terms and concepts in text and images, and more. In-text citations were scarce. The text often references Positive Psychology concepts and themes, it use current terminology, and includes a chapter on Industrial Organizational Psychology. The Everyday Connection Box on Stingray City makes the same error. (Publication manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th ed., p. 324). Many areas in the text explicitly recognize the influence of culture on the science of Psychology (e.g., 11.8 Cultural Understandings of Personality). I also thought the subsection on Motivation was a bit light on details. The structure of the chapters, as discussed in the first entry of this review, follow accepted guidelines of good instructional design. As noted in item number five above, the start of each chapter has a uniform format. It does not store any personal data. This textbook is consistent in its design, language, and terminology. Our mission is to improve educational access and learning for everyone. The textbook, now in its second edition, has undergone multiple review processes to improve accuracy over time. I found the writing to be accessible to my undergraduate students. The text is well-written without noticeable grammatical errors. Chair, Clarke University on 1/5/21, I have been teaching Introductory Psychology for about 30 years. It also seems dismissive of different spiritual beliefs. It also permits the students to read out of sequence without losing flow. > I dont mind organizing the topics in this manner but it would be worth pointing out to the reader this is done only for simplicity and does not reflect our current understanding of how learning works. This book seems to have all the necessary components to be an adequate textbook for a General Psychology course. Book title: Subtitle. This book does virtually everything one would want an intro psych book to do, hitting all the major content areas within Psychology, including I/O psych (something of a rarity). The textbook is sufficiently comprehensive for use in a traditional 4-yr college where most intro PSYC students are in their first or second year. The text also includes coverage of the DSM-5 in examinations of psychological disorders. The book offers a comprehensive treatment of core concepts, grounded in both classic studies and current and emerging research. The textbook is appropriate for the subject area. Retrieved from: https://openstax.org/details/books/psychology-2e Spielman, R.M., Jenkins, WJ., \& Lovett, M.D. For example, in the Sensation and Perception chapter, the authors provide a good overview and differentiation of sensation and perception. There is nothing notably special about the organization of the topics in the Table of Contents or the book itself. The text consists of highly agreed upon content that is typically included in a general psychology textbook and presented in a common order. Generally, I think this book was quite on par with comparable introductory psychology textbooks! The inclusion of gender identity is great, but I didn't know why gender identity as defined and then went straight into dysmorphic disorder. Though it may not be necessary per se, a "Cultural" chapter will help students to directly contact this ever-important information. The influence of culture on defining intelligence is mentioned. I realize that this may be an issue that cannot be avoided, but I might suggest using a different font size/font color for credit references to help discriminate image/chart notes from this information. Anatomy and physiology. The chapters are a suitable length and practical for students needing a quick review. It is consistently a pretty dry read, but I do appreciate that it hangs together like a real book and not like a piece meal of articles that swing wildly in style or approach. Unfortunately though, chapter four then provides a superficial introduction to the topic of psychopharmacology. (Year). However, this book did continue a long tradition from introductory psychology books of including the historical data (so, usually data by and from members of American cultural majorities) as the norm and the other data as optional side-topics instead of carefully integrating it together. A wide range of examples and images are used to be fairly representative of different cultural perspectives and spark critical thinking of how the psychology concepts presented may be present in or impact cultures differently. A darker font might be easier to read. The content was consistent and similar to other textbooks that I have used. Answer OpenStax is a little different from your typical e-textbook. I have deleted or edited information when my judgments about relevance differ from those of the authors. These examples are based on the library'srecommendations on how to cite them in an APA format. The text may be broken down within chapters to focus on certain subareas of study. APA, 7th Edition When an electronic source lacks page numbers, you should try to include information that will help readers find the passage being cited. Study guides are also available using the online textbook, which can help students further understand important concepts within the chapter, as well as help inform instructors of what material to include in assessment. Reviewed by John Holden, Associate Professor, Winona State University on 1/7/16, The text covers all of the areas that I typically cover (and areas covered in other introductory textbooks), with the inclusion of a chapter on health psychology/stress/motivation and a added plus of a chapter on industrial/organizational The bold headings are good benchmarks for notes and the sections of text are relatively short with many diagrams or activities that break them into pieces that often resemble a magazine. read more. Publisher. For seven semesters I have asked students to rate their use of this textbook. read more. I do wish that gender had a contemporary discussion. Content should be able to be easily refreshed with current examples. This can be easily remedied with the addition of some supplemental materials, though, so it seemed like only a small issue practically. If you are looking for less traditional chapters, such as gender and human sexuality, you will not find those in this book, but should consider using supplemental material or incorporating these other topics throughout the chapters currently available in this book. These questions would be useful for in-class discussions, assignments, and/ or exams. I did find an error message when I clicked on the Personal Application questions #49 in the Social Psychology chapter. I am always a little anxious of what comes up when using videos through such sites for that reason. Reviewed by Randi Smith, Professor, Metropolitan State University of Denver on 9/2/19, This text provides the basics of introductory psychology in a pared-down, abbreviated style. With one exception of Organizational Psychology, most chapters appeared in the exact order that other books would have listed them. Psychology incorporates discussions that reflect the diversity within the discipline, as well as the diversity of cultures and communities across the globe. There is not too much jargon. I feel the amount of material in the book is too much for a one semester introductory course, but that allows instructors to pick and choose the sections they feel are most important. The inclusion of Lifespan Development as a topic later in the text seems a bit out of place, as an earlier placement would have made more sense, but this does not detract in a huge way to the texts overall organization. There is no period after the URL in the citation. The table of contents does not include the answer key or references sections, however. there isnt a specific number given for the resting potential of neurons except in a figure) though it leaves some terms undefined (polarization) which can be confusing. Text is culturally sensitive and I didn't find anything that I viewed as offensive. OpenStax notes that a need for new editions is based on authors and adopters opinions that a full scale revision is warranted. Cite web pages in text as you would any other source, using the author and date if known. (Year published). Terms are explained well. I'm not sure why the authors chose to move the review questions to an independent area at the end of each chapter, but in my mind it is not an improvement, as it takes away from the modularity of the text. This book is well organized, both within and across chapters. The additional information and media presentations (through links) enhance the topics in a way that certainly add interesting side trips for the student. There are usually real-world examples either from famous events or day-to-day life for concepts, which is very helpful for students. I particularly like this arrangement as students have the option printing these and then referencing them by chapter, rather than as a alphabetical list covering the entire book. Print versions should follow these formats and include the text's URL if available (provided on the text's publication page). It is culturally sensitive and not offensive in any way. The main concepts are nicely illustrated and discussed within the respective chapters. Students can also click on the video links to view. It even includes a chapter on industrial-organizational psychology, which is now being added to most psychology textbooks. Journalism, Media Studies & Communications. In addition, there are many online supplemental materials that can be paired with the text which is nice because instructors are not necessarily having to build everything from scratch (there is a large community of Psychology 2e users). However, I think the Berger study "Milgram light" is a better comparison. Obviously, no book, especially an introductory textbook can cover everything, but I don't see that critical areas of interest to an introductory audience are missing. Only one notable error was discovered; in the second chapter, when discussing the statistical basis of tests, there seems to be a casual discussion of what seems to be Type II error which should actually be a discussion of Type I error. I'm using an open stax textbook from my A&P class. application/pdf The interface was clear and easy to navigate! Although the link on the OER site links to an earlier version (2014), there is a button on the top that indicates there is a newer version available. My students and I found nothing culturally offensive or insensitive in the language of this textbook. In What Do You Think?, research based information is presented and allows space for students to share their thoughts on controversial topics such as Being hired at Hooters Bar and (BFOQ laws). read more. The chapter makes good use of headings and sub-headings so students can easily break up their reading into smaller section. The test bank incorporates diverse names. This textbook does a great job to cover major theories, practices, concepts, historical figures, and even related contemporary events on all of the major themes in psychology. I believe this textbook is contributing to the important movement in higher education of making education affordable to ALL learners without compromising quality. The textbook does make reference to other cultures, multicultural approaches, feminism, race, ethnicity and sociocultural considerations. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". OpenStax About the Book Psychology 2e is designed to meet scope and sequence requirements for the single-semester introduction to psychology course. The critical thinking and personal application questions at the end of each chapter easily lend themselves as a springboard for classroom discussions. https://openstax.org/details/books/biology-2e. read more. 2020-08-03T08:44:24-05:00 This book equals or exceeds the quality of introductory psychology books that can cost hundreds of dollars more. Title of book. Overall, I am throughly satisfied with the range of psychology subfields surveyed in this text and the depth with which each subfield is explored. Content is also up-to-date by relying on current information throughout the pedagogical features such as Everyday Connections, What do you think?, Dig Deeper, and Connect the Concepts. Wittenberg is a nationally ranked liberal arts institution with a particular strength in the sciences. Very clear and to the point. I believe it would be easy to point out that although you chose the first video, you are not always in control of the following video or advertising on some sites. The text is designed to have flexibility to reorganize and select sections of the text, yet retain its flow from section to section. read more. This book does virtually everything one would want an intro psych book to do, hitting all the major content areas within Psychology, including I/O psych (something of a rarity). You would cite the author and the year. There appears to be a consistent formatting and terminology used. Like any other introductory psychology text, this textbook focuses on outdated or irrelevant research. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This text covers all of the significant aspects of psychology that psychology and other students should have as they move forward in their education. Use of the Adobe Reader features provides the reader with tools to navigate the textbook easily. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. The comprehensiveness of Cultural variations in development and the incidences of eating disorders are discussed. I do believe that it is my job as an instructor to differentiate learning and support students who are struggling, but felt it's important to note in this section for those who teach more diverse populations. Content is up-to-date and seems easy to update. One major issue was not providing the answers to the even numbered practice questions. University of Minnesota, 330 Wulling Hall, 86 Pleasant Street S.E., Minneapolis, MN 55455, Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License. There are some chapters that have a lot more keywords than others (e.g., Biopsychology is pretty heavy on keywords) but that was my only minor observation in terms of inconsistency. Significant improvements and additions were made in the areas of research currency, diversity and representation, and the relevance and recency of the examples. How do you cite a website with no author in APA 7th edition? For example, the Stanford Prison experiment is described but there is basically no discussion of the criticisms of this study. The index was excellent. All graphics and images rendered appropriately. There are two types of avoidant (insecure and ambivalent). Reviewed by Michael Petrovich, Adjunct Professor, Marymount University on 7/24/20, This book covered all of the things I normally teach in Introduction to Psychology. It even includes a chapter on industrial-organizational psychology, which is now being added to most psychology textbooks. The stories are relevant and interesting and help to make the material more interesting. As is with any textbook in an ever-changing field, various topics quickly become out of date, or newer examples become relevant with every passing day, however the authors strategically identified relevant examples of various psychological concepts that one would anticipate having continued relevance for years to come. I would incorporate supplementary resources like videos with this textbook. The text appropriately covered the most important topics relevant to each section. There is no structure that forms a bridge spanning the posterior chamber in the human eye. The reading level is evaluated as difficult to read. The chapter on Sensation and Perception, for example, is missing quite a bit of information in the areas on taste and smell. The chapters are designed in a student-friendly format: the writing is clear and there are plenty real-life examples embedded with each topic. In general, this Psychology textbook is comprehensive. It's organized in quite typical Intro Psych fashion. OpenStax and BCcampus are the most widely used open textbook publishers at Douglas College. Place of publication: Publisher. Students may appreciate the layout with good use of white space and the look of paragraphs instead of long lines of uninterrupted text. This book is better edited than most textbooks I have read. Some of my students purchased the low-cost printed version of the text and did not report any issues either. The text contains a pleasing amount of reading sections, consistently broken up with subtopics, images, tables, and graphs. I did not see any spelling or grammatical errors. At first I had a negative perception of open resources as texts that were thrown together without much care or organization. This text, however, then has several more paragraphs on naturalistic and structured observations which helps, As expected there is quite a bit of space devoted to correlation versus experimental research and that they are different. For those that are teaching an introductory course in which group discussion is possible, the "What Do You Think" components can be used to prompt student-student conversation: discussion may ensue that helps to expand understanding of concepts and thus, increases the comprehensiveness of this text. During my review of this text I did not spot any inaccuracies or typos. There are also end of Chapter Review Summaries and Review Questions which could serve as post reading quizzes, Critical Thinking Questions and Personal Application Questions. I purposefully used an older wireless Windows 7 laptop to see if loading issues were present. Psychology 2e. For example alcohol is discussed only as a GABA agonist and not also as a glutamate antagonist thus missing an easy opportunity to illustrate these terms and with a drug that is often abused by the people taking this course.

Berger Picard Breeders Arizona, Pre Stretched Braiding Hair X Pression, Articles O