standing rigging size calculator

We are happy to accommodate your requests, but the cost of your job will escalate quickly. As we go through the sizing calculations comparisons are difficult as they dont use the same version of Dyneema. Add shackles and splices from our Running Rigging Builder Add splices, shackles, and whipping with a single click. Once you know the diameter of the wire, it will give you the load both in kg and as a percentage of its breaking strain. Maybe the 10M is not so over-rigged as it appears. That is, it is no longer one of the elements of the standing rigging (albeit adjustable). If your running rigging leads back to the cockpit, remember to account for that in your length. On some boats a loop with T-bone is is used to shorten the checkstay lashing by a few centimetres. Before adjusting them, however, we could use them to do a test on the adjustment so far of our mast. We are confident that you will look forward to our emails. Question When should I replace my standing rigging? I am not aware of any such cases among Class40s. Consider pulling your rig every 5-6 years to inspect the mast base, chainplates, turnbuckles, wire, etc. For 6mm stainless steel the breaking strength is 2880kg. The list of materials and design stresses are those that ISO 12215-5 standard says that can be used. Website created by Primeconsulting. These are boats where you usually an average setting and not touch it before a specific event. As you size up creep and stretch will always be reduced. On boats with swept back spreaders, runners and checkstays are not structural. Can you break it down for me? We have chosen a Class40, a sister-ship of the boat with which I competed in the Global Ocean Race 2011/2012. After attempting to sort through the many personal. Your email address will not be published. We are happy to help you pick the best rope for your application. One seemingly easy option is to over-size. If we observe the mast we will also notice that this setting will mean that when tightening runners and checkstay there isnt much change in mast shape. Both operations improve upwind performance. In fact, if the D2s had been too soft, when tightening the checkstay the mast would bend to windward. lol. That is because a Dyneema line the same strength as the Stainless Steel it replaces would be too stretchy to work. Having to remember this T-bone day and night in every situation is not the best of proposition. Unfortunately, there are not always visual clues that your rigging has passed its life expectancy. For example, for ocean-crossing boats, runners and checkstays help stabilise the mast and prevent it from pumping or bending. Then it made a bend to the right and then back to the left between the second set of spreaders to the masthead. Their sizing post is Sizing for Creep. Taking the total capacity of the upper and lower shrouds compared to the shroud load calculated using the RM30 formula gives a safety factor of 4.2. These guidelines are particularly useful when estimating the cost of a project. 119 316 grade stainless steel Wire Rope (1 group of 19 wires, very stiff with low stretch) is standard on most sailboats. The price difference of the DM20 lines over SK99 or SK78 is still huge. Effect of angle on capacity. Staying within elastic limits gives safety factors of 2.5, 2 and 1.9 respectively. If I were only using turnbuckles for tensioning then I might have gone for DM20 to avoid running out of tensioning due to creep. (If you prefer more choices, please see our Running Rigging Builder.) This yields a shroud load of 6,000 pounds. Historically, the most traditional rig type is the masthead one. Rust and discoloration can indicate the location of a crack or crystallization of the metal. Keith Anderson is a 40-year veteran of the crane and rigging industry. . For #1, you might be able to lower the keel 1/4 of an inch, depending upon the size of the boat. Check the thread size (standard or upsize) Select a turnbuckle which provides articulation e.g. Swaged terminals are manufactured using 1 or more of the 4 processes listed above. Our riggers can also tune your rig, either at the dock or under sail. Check the thread type (UNF or Metric) the thread size (standard or upsize) and, just to make sure, the thread direction. Of course what we have not been able to compare fully is the performance of Marlow vs Liros in heat treatment, pre-stretch and coatings. Most lines are pre-stretched. From Marlow Ropes we have this: Others refer to Elastic Stretch, Constructional Stretch and Creep. This App is a tool that facilitates the calculation of basic rigging, weights of different profiles, and centers of gravity of composite loads. How to Measure Standing Rigging With the mast and rigging still standing and set to its normal sailing positions, tape or mark all the threads of the studs where they exit the turnbuckles. For a -inch turnbuckle and toggle, a minimum thickness of. If these are too soft the mast will sag to leeward between the first spreader and masthead. I ran the numbers for the 10M by methods from three sources starting with David Gerr's book "The Nature of Boats." And if in doubt, too long is always better than too short! It becomes simply the means to adjust the mast bend and curvature and would be considered and its control line is therefore part of our running rigging. At Colligo Marine, we have now rigged more than 900 boats around the world with our brand of engineered standing rigging and have learned alot from this experience. says the wire was 1/4". Also Marlow describes them all and includes comparison charts. The IMS data shows a righting moment at 25 degrees of heel as 716 lbs/degree or 17,900 lbs. With proper measurements (wire diameter, pin sizes, wire lengths), we can give you a very accurate price for the standing rigging itself, but there are often unforeseen complications during the job (bad spreaders, corroded mast bases, hardware that is stripped on the mast, frozen pins, chainplates that are failing, etc. There is no backstay at all, which is common on many modern boats. If your running rigging leads back to the cockpit . Herb suggests under 15% or even better under 10%. All the vertical tension turned into compression and bend. a toggle fork at the bottom end. I relied on my historical memory and everything seemed to me in order. The choices get more tricky as Liros dont make every size (no 7, 9 or 11mm). If your end terminal is a threaded stud measure to the end of the stud; include the length of the threaded portion, note whether it is left or right handed, and the thread size. 3/16" for lower shrouds is also what I had. To calculate the load on a particular sling leg proceed as follows: Take the total weight of the load and divide this by the number of legs supporting the load. I hear about these guys on every forum everywhere. The standard seems to be 2.5 to 3.0. But have you ever seen a boat so rigged? So we can put back the T-bone that shortens checkstay and use it as a counter cable for the inner forestay. All in all it will probably only change your solent to staysail switch point by a knot of wind or two. So the rake is controlled by adjusting the stay length and the V1s. I will analyze your calculations carefully. From the Rigger: Most boat owners do not climb their masts regularly, but our riggers spend a lot of time up there. It also has a module for calculating continuous beams and large facilities for manage the various materials used in the construction of modern boats. Designers typically specify standing rigging and attachments, including bolts, that are 1.3 to 1.4 times stronger than the calculated load. NE ropes has STS-HSR. It is indeed a complicated process in using a braided line for standing rigging. The backstay is both an element of the standing rigging but can also be tuned. This meant that the V1s tension encountered no resistance to mast compression. As a quick side note people often ask if they should switch from rod to wire rigging or vice versa during the re-rig (usually from rod to wire as rod is much more expensive per foot). Continuous rigs require fewer terminal fittings which reduces costs and allows for easier inspection of terminals. The experience was refreshing to learn with a degree of mathematical certainty what would be a safe decision rather than relying on the often contradictory opinions that we regularly face. Remove any pins from your terminal ends before taking measurements. We use the highest quality standing rigging components available, and we won . But, the overall curve of the three sections of the mast was not yet regular. From the Rigger: We are so glad you asked! We will talk here specifically about boats with swept back spreaders. It provides some tables of the most common suppliers of slings and shackles, but the user can add its own tables. One other very important comment on sizing for creep: Material creep is a function of length, long sections will have more creep than short sections. The port V1 was 2cm shorter than the starboard V1. The boom will rise again when we tension the reef line and this rarely even needs the boom to be helped by hand. Rigging Doctor for SK99: 8mm Main 8mm Stainless: Colligo (SK75): 11mm Marlow from Jimmy Green (DM20): 15mm (but 13mm is pretty close) Rigging Doctor for SK99: 10mm The choices get more tricky as Liros don't make every size (no 7, 9 or 11mm). Doubt if your chain plates would take 1/2". In fact, I had sailed on an identical boat for a total of about 60,000 miles. The picture below reveals the variation in thickness and head angle to the swage. We also set runners and checkstays just for safety. Balancing the risks and benefits, at the end of the day, on my boat I decided to eliminate the T-bone and seek for a medium setting. Using Colligo's stretch calculator it looks like I should go with 5/16 and 1/4" Dyneema respectively. The amount of rake optimal rake is usually provided by the designer so you can do this job with absolute precision. First of all, we unscrewed the turnbuckles of the V1s, whilst holding the upper threaded part integral together with the turnbuckle. The top terminals that attach to the mast vary according to the origin (manufacturer) and the age of the mast.It is also important to bear in mind that there may have been some significant alterations since your yacht was first commissioned.The basic formats for swaged ends are Fixed Eye, Fixed Fork and T-terminal. Once the wind increases and we take the first reef, the runner is no longer needed (especially upwind). Check the deck around the chainplates and mast for cracking and delamination. For more information on rig maintenance, visit our prior Ask the Rigger article at http://rigworks.com/maintaining-your-standing-rigging/ and download our rig-care pamphlet at http://rigworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Standing-Rigging-Care.pdf. Imagine bearing away, removing the genoa and hoisting a large spi. But these are for breaking strength of the wire. Here are a few suggestions. Set sail with the benefit of Team Jimmy Green expertise. Find a flat surface large enough that you can fully stretch your rigging out for measurement. Still the biggest name that we have found producing fittings for Dyneema rigging. Marlow recommend one thing, Colligo another, they both swear by the logic! [Update]See the first comment below from John Franta, Colligo Marine where he explains the difference between heat stretching at Fibre level (SK78 and SK99) vs at the Braided level (SK75). [End Update]. Standing Rigging CalculationBack to Rigging By appearances the 10M is a very heavily rigged 33 footer. The tension gauges are especially designed for accurate, repeatable tuning of a sailboat's standing rigging. It is adopted by shipyards such as Jeanneau and Beneteau, even for boats without oceanic ambitions. It is your responsibility to assure that the slings you use are appropriate for your application. I see DSM is coming out with DM20 which is a heat treated pre stretched fiber. For more information on rig inspections, visit our prior Ask the Rigger article at http://rigworks.com/the-scoop-on-rig-inspections/. This T-bone, if forgotten closed, supports the mast only at the level of spreaders, leaving the masthead free. These work laterally to support the mast. The checkstay, on the other hand, usually points where the foresail forestay attachment is located. Each complete turn corresponded to approximately 3-4 millimetres in length. SCT also includes various modules to perform calculations ISO 12215-6, 8 and 9. Cruising boat rigs can have up to three pairs of spreaders, depending on a number of factors, including the boat's size and type. Get regular rig inspections! It is important to use a tape measure under tension and that does not stretch. Global Solo Challenge Copyright 2022. Running Rigging Calculator All you do is select your boat model and our calculator instantly specs the size and lengths that will work for you. It is based on our specific boat and shares our thinking for our uses. From the Rigger: Lets play Name that Stay Forestay (1 or HS) Read more, Question: Do you have guidelines for selecting halyards, sheets, etc. With a masthead rigged boat, the backstay can be used to increase forestay tension in high winds. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Calculate the length of bury. Can Galvanised Steel be used with Stainless Steel? We deal directly with the manufacturers of the sailboat standing rigging components that we sell, and we know the product because we use the product. The numbers in the Toss and Henderson calculations were for a 2.5 safety factor. What is meant when we say they are structural? The de-multiplication of the runner pulleys obviously amplified the effect on the control line. The inner forstay and the staysail come up in about 16 knots of wind. This fudge factor is intended to offset the fact that, regardless of the material used, it will degrade over time with aging and a lack of maintenance. Photos will help, but detailed dimensions are essential to ensurecorrect identification.If practicable, send a sample fitting or wire stay to the Jimmy Green Rigging Team.We can then relieve you of the responsibility by positively matching your existing terminal to the correct replacement. I found the Colligo information less helpful, it feels to me that they have stayed with the same materials despite the new developments. The swept back spreaders ensure that the mast can stand up even without the backstay, which is no longer structural. On this boat only the V1s on deck are adjustable, the rest of the shroud is of fixed length. By now, I would say, even on cruising boats it is one of the most common rig arrangements. Not forgetting the compression loads from the stays too. UNF is the normal thread for standing rigging turnbuckles.Metric threads are possible on European manufactured masts - replacements are available.Switching to UNF is a good idea if you are replacing a complete stay because replacement components will be easier to procure.Imperial size wire is also quite rare in Europe, but is readily available in North America.Imperial components can be sourced but will generally attract a bespoke quote and much longer lead times. We gave the forestay one more turn and removed a turn from the V1s and we were satisfied. Graham Radford Yacht Design, STABILITY DISCUSSION, total shroud breaking strength (1.2 * disp). When buying new running rigging (i.e. As Jimmy Green put it in an email to me In terms of picking between DM20 and DynIce Dux, the choice comes down to whether you want the better performing fibre (DM20) or the better performing rope once braided and heat stretched (heat stretched SK75). Their role is to prevent the mast from bending to leeward between the first and second spreader levels, especially upwind. Suddenly you run the risk that with enough wind the checkstay could even cause the mast to reverse its curvature with the masthead going forward and the lower part held back by the tight checkstay. Taking V1s and D1s and shaking them, hitting them, you get a feel for their. Lets be very conservative and assume we are looking at existing stainless 6.5mm for the mizzen and 8mm for the main (will check as soon as we are allowed to visit the boat). This means that the threads are not screwed in equally. This explained why the mast started veering to the left. Type in the parameters 2. If your rigging includes a shackle with a captive pin, the inside edge of the pin is the bearing point. So 716 * 30 gives an RM30 of about 21,500 lbs. If it does not rotate, spray some WD40 but never twist the rod rigging. You're right (I need to think about). One of the most frequently asked questions we hear is: How do I measure my sailboat standing rigging? Tapped and Formed:Some Swage and Swageless terminals are made of several components.These partsmay be tapped together like the strap toggles below. In our search we have found three sites particularly helpful. The mast of the Class40s are, pass me the term, quite ignorant, and dont it is not about fine tuning that last half turn. Assuming it fits in our racks and we have room, we may be able to avoid mast lay day charges by storing your mast here at Rigworks. For the Main Im thinking 12mm (larger than either the Colligo and Rigging Doctor calculations) and the largest size of Liros D-Pro-XTR available). I jibed without runners in 50 knots of wind and nothing happened. Heat stretched SK75 really performs better under a constant load. And PLEASE do not buy a used boat without a professional rig inspection! The flogging of a loose shroud can actually be harder on wire than steady pressure. Factors you must consider include: Type of hitch/method of rigging. But the disadvantages are cost (not just the line but also the thimbles) and windage (but we have a big boxy wheelhouse so are not exactly aerodynamic). Some say 52 diameters, other prefer 72 diameters. Usually they are made with dyneema and not just simple polyester. Once swaged, the terminal cannot be re-used or positionally adjusted. I could measure the rake with a bucket, but I had somewhat of a historical memory of the setting of that mast. This type of rig, nine tenths fractional, has two orders of spreaders. This is possible because the rod shroud is free to rotate inside its T-Cup at the spreader. 37K views 7 years ago Jordan freshens up on his high school math to calculate what wire size we should order for our new standing rigging. If you are in any doubt about replicating your existing T terminals, please take some close-up photos with dimensions - the width, shoulder length and overall depth of the T shape. T-terminal and some have more than one common name, but this guide will help you to recognise which ones are correct for your rigging. I wish the rope companies made the creep properties easier to find. Attachment to the Mast, the top terminals. Sounds interesting regardless. The curve to starboard between the first and second set of spreaders was attributable to the upper diagonal D2 on the starboard side, which was tighter than the left one. for my sailboat? At first, you will only see fields for two loads (Load 1 and Load 2), but once you enter a value for \small x_2 x2, the fields for Load 3 will show up . The overall shroud load is divided up between your shrouds. My guess is 3/8". Having worked and checked with runners and checks the sea trial was more for the pleasure of ending the day with some sailing. The reality is that Creep, even in SK75, can easily be designed around for standing rigging on a sailboat. Looking at the Jimmy Green table for all the Dyneema they sell we find that 7mm is good (except Liros dont sell 7mm so it has to be 8mm for the Liros D Pro Xtr [SK99] or 10mm for the Liros D Pro Static [DFM20] ). If your standing rigging does not match our diagram, or has been modified, then the quoted price is not applicable to your boat. The strength, minimal elongation, excellent corrosion resistance and general performance of KOS 1x19 construction stainless steel wire are suitable for most sailing yachts. The initial task is totake some basic measurements.A good tape measure combined with a good eye may be sufficient, but vernier scale calipers will guarantee an accurate result.Digital versions are now available at a very affordable price and they make the process very simple to read and record. In our case it was evident that the port turnbuckle had many more turns than the starboard side, compared to the thread of the V1 above. What does all this mean? This is a very inexpensive investment (by yachting standards ) to ensure that your rig is in sound condition. They show up on your doorstep ready to use. Therefore, with a strong breeze, we can intervened on the backstay to reduce the forestay sag and flatten the mainsail. standing rigging. So we are looking at approx 9300kg breaking strain Dyneema. Therefore, except in exceptional cases, starting from this assumption is more than reasonable. And they often find badly damaged Read more, Question: When your riggers talk about standing rigging, they often use terms I dont recognize. Below are some rough guidelines to help you make an educated purchase. Is it maybe, just maybe possible that they have cornered the market on synthetic standing rigging through a, Location: Bas Caraquet, New Brunswick, Canada. The spreaders, in this case, are in line, perpendicular to the fore and aft axis of the boat. Differences emerged immediately, the D1 on the left was about 1cm shorter than the one on the right. However, DynICE Dux is now back in the running, and with the possibility of 9mm for the Mizzen for about the same price as the 8mm Liros D-Pro-XTR. rope), you will want to consider length, diameter, stretch/performance, material/construction and, of course, price. Condition of sling - passes all inspection criteria. When I arrived on this boat to check the mast, there were two problems noticeable with the naked eye. On a Mini 650, to avoid too many lines, and with a boom that weighs a few kilos, nothing replaces the topping lift. 50 or so lbs up in the air, which translated to 200 less rail meat lbs! for a mid 20 ft boat, the same change in riggin saved as little as 50 lbs. Both SK90 and SK99 are heat stretched at the fiber level so that makes them a little more difficult to heat stretch completely at the braided line level. The direction of the thread is only of vital importanceif you are planning to change the stud terminal, but keep the existing turnbuckle.Take a close look at the two different threads in the picture below.Thehigher sidedenotes thedirection of the thread. Discussion in 'Software' started by TANSL, Feb 11, 2016. only hand tools are required for installation, can also be completely disassembled and reused (some models require inner cone replacement) providing great longevity, can be manufactured to very precise tolerances, the waste material can be recycled to create further parts. [Update] or 9mm DynICE Dux for the Mizzen and 12mm for the Main. So unless you had to do a short inshore event with light airs predicted changing the setting for each and especially longer races makes no sense. Reefing Line (reef 1) - Boom length x 2.5. tension them and observe the effect on the mast, which for this type of boats does not have to be significant (Ill come back to this point). In order to confidently specify a replacement for any element of your standing rigging, you will need to know what your existing components are called and how they are measured.Some end fittings have generic names e.g. Its a popular model of Class40, a first generation Akilaria RC1, designed by Mark Lombard, from around 2006. So, I resorted to trusting my sensorial memory. You can use a large nail or screw on the dock. Please note this article is a translation and may contain some errors for which I hope youll forgive us! That is, the turnbuckles had not been hooked and tightened at the same simultaneously on lower and upper thread. The distance between the halyard and the mast at the boom is your rake. In addition to this it was clear that when the starboard runners and checkstay were tensioned, the mast deteriorated in shape. And both say having lowers at least the same size as uppers is a good idea. Get the full sizing and inventory of: - the standing rigging - the running rigging - the mast section with weight and size - gravity center localization - and mast tuning report 4. A change of about 1.5cm that was well noticeable at a height of 20 meters. 3000 # is not enough to get rid of constructional stretch, and you would need to sustain your load over time. The tension of the low diagonals D1s controls the angle up to the first set of spreaders of the overall curvature that the mast takes up to the masthead. Stretchy is slightly problematic because there are multiple forms and the terminology used isnt consistent. Taking into account boat length and sailing style, the attached chart suggests rope diameter and type for each piece of running rigging: Rope Diameter and Type.

Will Deer Eat Poinsettia, Britton Homes Prosper, Tx, Articles S