vintage stanley chisel identification

Forstner bits are high-quality cutting tools that are used for making precise, flat-bottomed holes in wood and other materials. It is always found on the side or back of the head. What I havent been able to find much on is the model number 177. Here are the buying options for these Lie-Nielsen woodworking chisels: I have tested a lot of wood chisels with feedback from my woodworking students. Or you can try to find (or piece together) one of my favorite vintage bevel edge chisel models: If you are determined to purchase a matching set of bench chisels, one of my favorite antique chisels are the Stanley 750 chisels, which feature beveled edges. This list of vintage and modern woodworking chisel makers will help you searchfor quality western-style bench chisels, mortise chisels, and paring chisels (sorry, Im not listing Japanese chisels). Bench chisel is a description of general purpose chisels like one would use at a workbench. Type: Date Range: Notes: Mark on Shaft: Pre-Stanley : Prior to 1911 : G.E. Hi, . into a range of topics that matter. There actually is a whole world out there. ebay.com and Amazon.com) those affiliate links may lead to referral compensation to us. This is the last of the sweetheart marks. The patent referred to on this mark is U.S. Patent #132421 by Justus Traut. Great article, but I missed the brands to avoid? This was a fantastic article for those of us just starting out, thanks Joshua! Come join the discussion about shop safety, wood, carpentry, lumber, finishing, tools, machinery, woodworking related topics, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! I own a couple sets of these chisels (I purchased them for my sons), and they work pretty well.not perfect, but good enough for beginners. Here are my giveaway choices: Video: Shaker Candle Stand T-shirt: the Disston Saw Medallion I live in Orlando, FloridaRead more , This was a much needed, well written, and very informative tutorial. I added 5 new-found Swedish chisel brands to the list above and made a new post about them. And thats what I know how to sharpen & use. than $10 a month. What are the 3 Main Types of Woodworking Chisels? 1 C Smoothing Plane Two pages covering Everlasting chisel from the Stanley Catalog, 1934. As for collecting, I am no expert. These chisels are usually sharpened to 30 or greater bevel. Mark assumed on: #0, #62, #64-1/4, #70, #71, #72, #264-1/2. Illustration of three Swan and one Greenlee framing chisels. Naturally studying with Maurice made it clear that it was time to do some shopping. Is it a place to tuck a finger under the blade? It lasts a very long time. system. ok, now you know everything I know about 7 series chisels. Cant help you there Jason. http://users.ev1.net/~gmuster/TypeStudy/everlastchisels.htm. I also share some of my favorite new chisel sets: Before you scroll down to my woodworking chisel buying guide, I want to simplify a couple things about wood chisel types. 2. Why such selectiveness only for bench chisels?? Sometimes the only difference in a valuable collectible and a four dollar vintage Stanley plane is one of the numbers on the patent. I would like to get some medium priced chiselsand despite your well written article, I would rather have a specific chisel to get. The 720, 740 and 750 chisels are series that vary by length going from the longest to the shortest respectively. 750 Made in USA $74.95 $10.20 shipping SPONSORED Lot of 2 Vintage STANLEY Chisels SW Heart Logo with wood handles 1/4 and 3/4 $19.99 1 bid $8.00 shipping 4d 7h Stanley no.40 3/4 inch Everlasting chisel $21.00 0 bids $4.74 shipping 1d 7h or Best Offer Unless you can afford a high-end set of new chisels from some of these new tool makers (Lie-Nielsen chisels, Veritas chisels, Blue Spruce chisels, Narex Richter chisels, etc. This mark is always found on the topmost arm of a 2-armed gauge, near the non-point end. Recently I built a chisel cabinet to keep my chisels and various The heart and "S.W." have been removed. If you over do it and the handle shrinks, it will be too loose. Another thing you said that was Incorrect was that you implied that the 720, 740, 750 chisels came with a sweetheart logo on them, they never did, only the Everlasting Chisels had the sweetheart logo on them for a few years during the "sweetheart" era, which Stanley never called it that, the SW is the owner of the times initials, and the marking with the SW and heart was to remember him as he passed away, so for about a decade stanley marked their planes and chisels and just about everything with SW and the heart. Thats why Ive bought so many antique English mortise chisels for my woodworking school. Hi Cathy, youre right, just buy a few tools and start building something, and dont worry if it looks terrible! I have seen some with Oak clear finished handles. They have consistent steel all the way through. I found another way to fit the handles to the sockets that I really like since I am not a very good lather. Do you have any opinion about the Stanley sweetheart chisel set? 750 Chisel Set in Box Stanley 28 & 29 Corner Rounding Tools Stanley No. At the risk of wading into a debate like the one about saw nibs, does anyone have an explanation for the shallow downward curve where the face of the chisel meets the socket on the 740's? It looks like my gauge has the 1905-1920s mark. It is a 1 1/2" wide carpenter's chisel. Illustrations of Slicks from White 1913 & Swan 1911 catalogs. Socket Chisels are similar in quality to the equivalent No.720-750 series. I believe these are in every way as good as the 750 line. Illustration of Paring chisels from a White 1913 catalog. Hi my name is Shawn I live in Canada In Cold Lake Alberta. 750(or 720 or 740), Made in the USA. Which is the best? and continued manufacture the No.40 and 50 models and added the longer No.20 The average woodworker may never be able to tell the difference. other tools in. Stanley Chisel .Rustic Farmhouse . Interesting fun fact. Bench chisels can either have beveled edges or normal, flat edges. It has amazing steel, and sharpens nicer than most wood chisels. Does anyone know where to find replacements for this gauge? Intended for heavy work, a durable edge of 30 is expected but uses for a finer edge are aplenty. Hi there, thanks for the post! I just picked up a No 77 rosewood gauge here in Australia for $12 it has the heart extending into the Stanley box per the 1922-23 marking description. I had to look very hard to find it but it is there.You stated in your article that you have only known of one o.f these. Affordable too. Those are German J. Average Price: $5 to $10 (Those are the 1990 prices. Possibly because their acute edge needs regular honing; using the blade faster. Based on these samples, G. Wood patents, and information provided This fatmax chisel range has a superior design. 720 Chisels - 106816 $ 395.00. Thanks Hank! Thanks, Joshua! This is a habit that saves me a lot of sharpening time. If you are determined to purchase a matching set of bench chisels, one of my favorite antique chisels are the Stanley 750 chisels, which feature beveled edges. vintage wrench . Years ago I pieced together seven antique 750 chisels for this set: 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, and 1-1/2. An engineering point of view; There is a reason that 750 was removed from the chisel and replaced with a logo. Top-heavy plastic handle chisels can be a tad cumbersome to use. Ive also used Shapton diamond plates and a Tormek wheel and buffer. Here are some links to vintage mortise chisels for sale: I also purchased several new Narex Mortise Chisels for my school. Hi, newcomer here resurrecting an old thread, I have just bought 3 Stanley 750 chisels on ebay and they have the Stanley logo on the front of the blade contrary to jimmythings post above. Different levels of quality? I have used their saws and found them to be higher quality than other new saws by average hardware store brands. I own a rosewood stanley sweetheart #77 marking gauge with the heart extending into the stanley box. Rare & Exc, PRE-STANLEY They are marked in 3 lines on the socket like the 750, the difference being there is a "D" in place of the "no. Thanks for the information Josh. The stropping is bascially honing at a very fine grit (theres grit inRead more . Stanley # 55 "Everlasting" Glaziers Chisel I would be interested in your opinion on Bahco tools. I have a book by John Walter, Antique & Collectible STANLEY TOOLS -A Guide to Identify and Value-. 720 Socket Chisel It is basically identical to the previous mark, but it uses a different font for the number. And it seems like only a small number of manufactures have rediscovered the process to make great tool steel again. Or Sash-Mortise chisel. 1,558. Firmer model. Butt Chisels [] are made short, because of the purpose required of them: fitting in butts on doors. Stanley Type 4 Handplanes: 1874-1884 Stanley Type 5 Handplanes: 1885-1888 Stanley Type 6 Handplanes: 1888-1892 Stanley Type 7 Handplanes: 1893-1899 Stanley Type 8 Handplanes: 1899-1902 Stanley Type 9 Handplanes: 1902-1907 Stanley Type 10 Handplanes: 1907-1909 Stanley Type 11 Handplanes: 1910-1918 Stanley Type 12 Handplanes: 1919-1924 Though, maybe thatRead more . Its like tool steel manufacturing processes were universally understood before World War II, which resulted in amazing chisels that hold an edge well, and then its like everyone lost the instructions in the hysteria of mass power tool production. Educational woodworking for home and school, by Joseph C. Park |. Vintage STANLEY No. Edge Cabinet The patent referred to on this mark is U.S. Patent #36973 by Frederick Traut (father of Justus Traut, holder of many Stanley patents). New 740s were/are indeed longer than 750s. If I can suggest a couple of other brands: Lee Valleys Veritas chisels (especially those in PM-V11 steel, which really does need sharpening less often), and in vintage chisels the Swedish firm EA Berg. I just read in The Anarchists Tool Chest by Christopher Schwarz that they require diamond stones to sharpen. $45.00. It is quite well used and lots of patina. Using a very sharp chisel as a scraper simply scrape off the graphite marks. catalog as shown to the left. I've even purchased a vintage Stanley SW-era (1929) tool catalog just to get pictures of the tools in their native marketing environment. Either random chisels, or matching sets. Not surprisingly, I prefer wooden handles. Am I correct in thinking that the basic reason that buying chisels is such mine-field is that hard-steel and soft-steel look pretty much the same? Click the below links to find antique Stanley chisels on eBay: There are so many bad chisels out there (usually new chisels)and a lot of chisel-looking things that I wont even classify as a chisel. Mortise (also: mortising, mortice) chisels are used to make and clean out mortises. Bench chisels usually shouldnt be used to chop mortises, and when being used to chop dovetails, I stop hitting the chisel when too much resistance is met. The info on "everlasting" chisels here is not really my thing, and I know there are black handled everlasting chisels also, as I mentioned I am not a fan of the Everlasting (at least this month) and so I do not know any more than what I wrote about them. Thank you for this information. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 1-3/4, 2. Ive become disenchanted with my Mifer chisels. Swallow Brand - Eskilstuna, Sweden. Not that anyone is likely ever to do that, but still, why that shape? Other woodworkers may have slightly different priorities and terminology, but these are the basic hand woodworking tools that I recommend. I stop when only about an eighth to a quarter of an inch is left on the tapered peg. Here is a link that you may find helpful: I was just looking for a source for this canon logo last week and finally found it on another chisel. I know, they're generally not held in high regard, Don W hates them, but I've seen the occaisional positive comment about them. Certain brands may not always be listed on eBay, so check back from time-to-time. Ive learned a bit in writing this and no doubt will continue to discover information on chisel types. The main difference is that they are longer, and are Paring Chisels. I am just getting into wood working, so this was very good to read. http://peterrobinson.galootcentral.com/titanchisel/. Woodworking chisel handles come in different styles and different materials. Didn't make a lot of difference as they were the same quality with only theoriginal length being the difference. You can also try visiting a hand tool swap (like M-WTCA). This is a list of basic hand woodworking tools that are very useful, but that may not beabsolutely necessary for beginners projects. I have also attempted a basic chronology of the marks, but it should be stressed that many of these are just educated guesses. The toe is broad, flat rib cast into it. like the 1922-1923 logo. Do you strop on leather glued to a board or using a buffing wheel? Can I regrind the bevel again (and again?) When you remove the handle the graphite will mark the tapered peg part of the handle where it is making contact with the socket. First choice Shaker Candle Stand, Berock black plane mug. Numerous styles were available and many owners chose to make their own. This is the most common style of chisel, but I like the straight chisels as well (sometimes referred to as registered chisels or firmer chisels). long. This mark and the next were used at approximately the same time. I recently got a set of Narex paring chisels that Ive been testing out, and they seem to work quite well. The Expect to pay $10-$20 per chisel. This mark is quite rare, and gauges with this logo will typically bring a premium price from collectors. Below is my list of woodworking chisels that I feel would be the first wood chisels that you should buy to get started in traditional woodworking. Lie Nielson uses A2 tool steel which is around 0.25% V whereas the old stanley 750 is reported to have 3.0% V, This forum post is now archived. below. The brand names below are linked to eBay & other searches so you can compare prices & models. Anyone know what this chisel is? They were offered as down-market versions of the 7 series chisels, and they came with clear finish oak handles like that big 2" one on the end, not red stained oak handles. I found it easier (and cheaper) to purchase, on eBay, a lightly rusted (but not pitted) set of seven Stanley 750 chisels without handles. 10 watching. Since I was a young boy I always been fascinated and loved the ways of wood working. 3/8 and 1/4 mortise chisels work great with standard board thicknesses of 3/4 or 7/8. Additional references cited in-line. The handle should be suitable to take a light mallet, but not necessarily capped. Below, in the chisel buyers guide section, I talk about specific models, sizes, and styles of chisels you need and which you dont! regular price $230.00 usd fine ece germany adjustable small block plane. Mark assumed on: #0, #61-1/2, #62, #64-1/2, 70, perhaps others. General Tools (Capenter Brand) - Eskilstuna, Sweden. Others like a bevel-edge as it gives clearance for pairing in dovetails and like spaces. IfRead more . Im all set up with water stones and will likely go with Lie Nielsens chisels. and they have the clear coated handle. STANLEY within notched rectangle, Made in USA, U.S.Pat. Mark assumed on: #64-1/4, #65-1/2, #71, #72. The 720's are firmer length with the 750's being butt chisels. But well talk about those specialty chisels later. 51 Spoke Shave Stanley No. In the mid-1980's I started studying with Maurice Fraser. What type of Chisel Handle is Best? If it's banged up, it was probably hammered for a period of time without the protection of its handle. I havent tried them, but Ive been told that these new Narex chisels are as good as Lie-Nielsen: https://bit.ly/2Sm7cIQ. Medium is a relative term, so if I know a dollar amount I can help you out. Part of leather washer cap on handle worn. Were all the old ones great? These are lighter in construction than the above but sturdy and suitable for furniture and carpentry. They can have a bevel or no bevel. Hi there, thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response! This is the original patent for the 2-armed mortise gauge. Mark known on: #61 #64-1/2, #65, #65-1/2, #265. What I hope to accomplish with this forum topic is to eliminate some of the unnecessary time it takes to decipher a faded m.m. Nice list of Anglosaxon (!) Set of Five STANLEY No. 1/8-inch Stanley 750 wood chisels are rare and somewhat expensive, so get another brand if you cant afford a Stanley 750 version. As far as I can tell, the steel in all is the same, although some folks tout the ones with the "sweetheart logo". I liked these chisels, but not as much as my antique chisels, like my Stanley 750 chisels. Is this correct? The oft maligned Stanley #60 "Stanloid" yellow plastic handled chisels were sold for a significant premium over the #750s; check out the 1941 Stanley catalog; the premium averaged about 36% - how about that. I've read plenty of vintage and contemporary instructional woodworking literature that is much more liberal with its usage. Mark known on: #62, #64, #65, #66, #70, #85-1/2. Like to know who made this .. How is Greece doing these days? The prices have risen substantially since the COVID-19 pandemic, so you can compare prices at these retailers: The Narex Richter chisels have a nice balance between maintaining an edge, but not being too hard. Are the way those chisels used just not as important? However, replacing the handle isnt incredibly difficult. When assessing the quality of an antique or vintage socket-fitted chisel that lacks a handle, look carefully at the chisel's cuff, which is the opening at the bottom of the chisel. Here are a few quite affordable options for wood chisel sets that Ive tried out: Years ago I bought a Narex 6-piece bench chisel setto try out as a cheaper option for my readers. Mark known on: #64, #65, #66, #73, #77, #78, #79. The blade has no visible marks. OCT. 22. That doesn't mean the chisels above are bad. The Stanley Eagle (a.k.a the chicken for obvious reasons) is the earliest marking that I know of on Stanley marking gauges. those are stanley firmer chisels, possibly 720's, but since they aren't numbered, they may be stanley defiance chisels, which are otherwise identical to 720's (or 750's), but they came stamped with a "D" or the "Defiance" name over the Stanley logo. Tang chisels have a pointed metal tang that is fastened inside the wood chisel handle: Why are socket handle chisels more expensive than tang handle chisels? They take a real beating, so they need to be tough. They Handyman line of planes rarely, if ever gets mentioned. 2 Vintage Stanley chisels 1/2 and 3/4 inch wide bevel edge socket chisels. Its unclear if there is any real difference between millwrights and framing chisels. Examples of Firmer Chisels from 1911 Swan Catalog. 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 2, 750 Tang blade length: 4.5 in. Heres a sampling of styles offered by manufacturers: Ive started with firmer for a reason. Stanley # 40 These type studies are My collection of Everlasting Chisels which includes graduated sizes on What is the difference between the 720, 740 and 750 chisels?

Where Is General Richard D Clarke Now, Second Baptist Church Houston Staff, Articles V