violence in the kite runner quotes

His father (called Baba) admires more traditionally 'masculine' qualities. Amir: He is the protagonist of the book. The Kite Runner is a story of two boys, Amir and Hassan, and their inside and out struggles while growing up in Afghanistan. They're like having in-class notes for every discussion!, This is absolutely THE best teacher resource I have ever purchased. Ch 14 The rape of Sohrab is never shown, but it reflects Hassans horror and his role as a sacrificial lamb but with Sohrab, unlike Hassan, Amir is finally able to stand up to Assef and prevent more violence. And where is he headed? Baba said. Amir feels guilt strongly throughout the book; as a child, he wishes another man were his father, and he vomits. Kites That was a long time ago, but its wrong what they say about the past, Ive learned, about how you can bury it. Teachers and parents! Sacrifice is a recurring theme in the novel, The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. I could wade into this river, let my sins drown to the bottom, let the waters carry me someplace far. Even though the main character Hassan is an innocent individual, he is forced to live though sad experiences, such as when he is raped for trying to protect the honor of his friend. Get started for FREE Continue. After wishing that a family friend were his father, Amir vomits, showing how strongly he feels guilt. He knew about Assef, the kite, the money, the watch with the lightning bolt hands. And two years later, in 1998, they massacred the Hazaras in Mazar-i-Sharif. Hosseini starts drawing the book to a close, and Amir, who has been looking back and reflecting on his past, now catches up to his present in the narrativehe is back in the U.S., and Sohrab is living with him and Soraya. Maybe even hating him a little. Though the fact that Sohrab, an ethnic Hazara and Amir's illegitimate half-nephew, is living with their family is highly scandalous, Amir does not shy from the truth. Even if Baba committed a great betrayal of his best friend, just like Amir did, Baba's acts of redemption still seem larger-than-life and far superior to Amir's own (in Amir's eyes, at least). "It was only a smile, nothing more. Part of this involves Amir acknowledging his own male privilege, as Afghan society is in many ways divided along gender lines. Youve always been a tourist here, you just didnt know it.. After Sohrab survives his suicide attempt and is brought back to America, Amir sheds the need for approval from his community. I thought about Hassans dream, the one about us swimming in the lake. But I'll take it. Struggling with distance learning? Create an account to start this course today. This suggests that Amir has finally found a kind of redemption through his actions, and he can relive his past and memories without the pain and guilt he once felt. Silence is pushing the off button.shutting it down. Amir agha and I are friends, Hassan said. 'The curious thing was, I never thought of Hassan and me as friends either Never mind that we spent entire winters flying kites, running kites. Ch 16 No more rockets, no more killing, no more funerals!" Amir agha and I are friends, Hassan said. For Amir, this beating feels like relief, and like redemptionas if he's finally experiencing what would have happened had he intervened to save Hassan from Assef so many years before. Combine the pair of sentences by changing one into an adverb clause. In the novel's second part, however, this theme expands and Hosseini connects the idea of rape to Afghanistan itself, as the country is violently violated by external forces like the Soviets and the Taliban. Memory and the Past The Kite Runner: Children, Violence and the Ethnic Imaginary in Afghanistan (Chapter 3) . Shutting it down. Because to him, youre nothing but an ugly pet. Create your account. Violence in novels gives the book a more realistic feel to it, if it wasn't in the book then it wouldn't be that interesting. The first time Amir encounters a violent act is after the one of the biggest kite competitions. Maybe even hating him a little.. The theme of violence has been central to the novel all along in the context of Hassan's rape. Instant downloads of all 1725 LitChart PDFs You know, Rahim Khan said, one time, when you werent around, your father and I were talking I remember he said to me, Rahim, a boy who wont stand up for himself becomes a man who cant stand up to anything. I wonder, is that what youve become?. Assef idolizes Hitler and finds with the Taliban an outlet for his desire to cleanse Afghanistan of Hazaras, like Hassan, who Assef considers to be a lesser race. Fathers and Sons or keep failing and beg everyone for help, Just doing research and the last time I visited there werent many recent comments now two extra, Ethan, you sound like your 6, please growup, Youre all nerds for being here; im just about to fail a class and need quotes for an essay by midnight (2 hours) i should just look in the book or actual be doing the essay, but instead im here typing this cause its more easy to type then the actual essay. Amir and Baba have now left Afghanistan and moved to America, driven away from their home by violence and Soviet rule. Its true. Fathers and Sons I was going to win, and I was going to run that last kite. 'If someone were to ask me today whether the story of Hassan, Sohrab, and me ends with happiness, I wouldn't know what to say.Does anybody's?'. 9. But I didn't.'. He had always known. But I can take you with me. My suspicions had been right all those years. (including. With open arms. You cant love a person who lives that way without fearing him too. Sohrab is still traumatized and won't speak, but here he shows the first signs of healinga small smile as he flies a kite with Amir, his new father-figure. After winning the kite-flying competition and failing to stop Hassan's rape, Amir is closer to his father than ever. friend on friend' Ch 10 Amir Betrayal Violence and Rape At this point the novel shifts from . I laughed because I saw that, in some hidden nook in the corner of my mind, I'd even been looking forward to this My body was broken - just how badly I wouldn't find out until later - but I felt healed.'. He knew about Assef, the kite, the money, the watch with the lightning bolt hands. And with that came this realization: that Rahim Khan had summoned me here to atone not just for my sins but for Babas too. Amir And that, I believe, is what true redemption is, Amir jan, when guilt leads to good. Detailed quotes explanations with page numbers for every important quote on the site. My sisters splashed her face with water. I would definitely recommend Study.com to my colleagues. Amir is afraid and reluctant, and tries to make excuses. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness., It was only a smile, nothing more. What had I done, other than take my guilt out on the very same people I had betrayed, and then try to forget it all? Then Id bring it home and show it to Baba. Amir has been redeemed. We see the same contrast with American culture in the types of books Amir reads to Hassan. Do you want me to run that kite for you? His Adams apple rose and fell as he swallowed I thought I saw him nod. Ch 22 Memory and the Past Memory and the Past Amir Who can look back upon their life without regret, especially their childhood, where so many of us learned tough lessons about friendship, bullying, and social repercussions? Thats the Afghanistan I know. Psychological Research & Experimental Design, All Teacher Certification Test Prep Courses, The Kite Runner Cultural & Historical Context, The Kite Runner: Internal Conflict Quotes, The Kite Runner: Friendship & Loyalty Quotes, Quotes About Gender Inequality & Roles in The Kite Runner, The Kite Runner: Quotes About the Taliban, Study.com SAT Test Prep: Practice & Study Guide, ILTS English Language Arts (207): Test Practice and Study Guide, Common Core ELA - Literature Grades 9-10: Standards, Common Core ELA - Writing Grades 9-10: Standards, Study.com PSAT Test Prep: Practice & Study Guide, Comprehensive English: Overview & Practice, Praxis English Language Arts: Content Knowledge (5038) Prep, SAT Subject Test Literature: Practice and Study Guide, College English Literature: Help and Review, 12th Grade English: Homework Help Resource, Writing Review for Teachers: Study Guide & Help, Reading Review for Teachers: Study Guide & Help, Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading (5713) Prep, Relationship Between Amir & Hassan in The Kite Runner, Baba in The Kite Runner: Description & Character Analysis, Soraya in The Kite Runner: Description & Character Analysis, Sanaubar in The Kite Runner: Analysis, Redemption & Quotes, Relationship Between Amir & Baba in The Kite Runner, Religion in The Kite Runner: Influence & Quotes, Sohrab in The Kite Runner: Analysis & Character Traits, Hassan in The Kite Runner: Description & Character Analysis, The Kite Runner Title: Meaning & Significance, Working Scholars Bringing Tuition-Free College to the Community. There is a way to be good again, Rahim Khan had said on the phone just before hanging up. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years. We all have things in common, like this website. You state the quote, and leave it for the reader to discover his or her own musings about it. Soraya then tells Amir about how she ran away with a man when she was a young woman, and how her father had to forcibly bring her back. Sometimes, I think everything he did, feeding the poor on the streets, building the orphanage, giving money to friends in need, it was all his way of redeeming himself. He twitched once and lay motionless, his legs bent at unnatural angles, a pool of his blood soaking through the sand.'' His body was tossed and hurled in the stampede like a rag doll, finally rolling to a stop when the melee moved on. Long before the Roussi army marched into Afghanistan, long before villages were burned and schools destroyed Kabul had become a city of ghosts for me. Refine any search. There was a monster in the lake I was that monster. Betrayal I ran because I was a coward. Don't you just love when you need quotes for an essay and then the comment section is better than your essay. Sohrab, I cant give you your old life back, I wish to God I could. Kabul had become a city of ghosts for me. Baba and I lived in the same house, but in different spheres of existence. Though Amir interacts with many characters throughout the book, his guilt primarily relates to Hassan, but not exclusively. The book also contains the father-son relationship as central, as Amir's strained relationship with Baba, Baba's covert affection for Hassan, Ali's deep care for Hassan, and Amir's devotion to Sohrab demonstrate. Farid sat smoking behind the wheel.I have to look at one more thing, I told him.Can you hurry?Give me ten minutes.Go, then. Then, just as I was turning to go: Just forget it all. My mother actually fainted. ', 'I was going to win, and I was going to run that last kite. Never mind any of these things. Amir has just asked Soraya to marry him, and she has agreed, but she said she had something to confess to first. Then he smiled his Hassan smile and disappeared around the corner. Redemption Its like a teacher waved a magic wand and did the work for me. university of illinois women's swimming roster; what happens if you don't pay a seatbelt ticket; maid cafe miami "A boy who won't stand up for himself becomes a man who can't stand up to anything.". We hadnt told him. The original text plus a side-by-side modern translation of. In addition to some of the major violent plot points--such as when Amir, the protagonist, fails to interfere while his friend Hassan is raped by a bully, Assef, or when Assef makes Hassan's son, Sohrab, his sex slave--the day-to-day lives of children in Afghanistan are plagued by a culture of violence. 'A man's plumbing is like his mind: simple, very few surprises. All rights reserved. Later in life, Hassan has a son named Sohrab. Baba's guilt comes from the fact that he illegitimately fathered Hassan. It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime, And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. This is Hosseini's critique of the "double standard" he sees for men and for women, in which women are treated as inferior to men, and are punished for doing the same things men do with impunity. To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member. Amir has also spent his life trying to "redeem" himself to Baba, and now that goal is no longer relevantAmir must act as his own guide, learning to redeem himself in his own eyes, 'As I drove, I wondered why I was different. But he was already here, in the flesh, sitting less than ten feet from me, after all these years. Amir believed the kite was the only way to gain Baba's love. Mother said that if I'd just waited for the apples to ripen, I wouldn't have become sick. Because the past claws its way out. Earlier this same day Amir watched the Taliban leader preside over an execution, and now the leader reveals his identityit's Assef, the brutal, privileged boy who threatened Amir and raped Hassan when they were all younger. But Baba had found a way to create good out of his remorse. But by not stopping Assef and the others, Amir becomes exactly the sort of . Ch 25 That was what I was coming in the bathroom to tell you. A few weeks later, the Taliban banned kite fighting. In the process, both the kite fighter and his assistant get their hands ''bloodied by the string. The original text plus a side-by-side modern translation of. Complete these sentences about places you know. Then I turned and ran. The Kite Runner is a novel of conflict, and the conflicts range from warring armies, factions, worldviews, and ethnic groups to the conflicts between individuals, fathers and sons and Amir and . Her secret was out. - Amir". In his childhood, Amir and his close companion, Hassan, spend much of their time together. Afghan society's social norms and taboos are significant to him, while religion is less so; this changes towards the end of the book. You'll be able to access your notes and highlights, make requests, and get updates on new titles. "That was a long time ago, but it's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Throughout his life, Amir's primary feeling of guilt is that he did not help Hassan when he was being sexually assaulted. But I can take you with me. Once again Hassan is associated with his cleft lip (harelip), which at this point is a symbol of a lost, happier past. Amir continues to dwell on ideas of betrayal (his own betrayal of Hassan and Ali, and Baba's betrayal of Hassan and Ali) while also questioning whether redemption is possible for past sins. Amir copyright 2003-2023 Study.com. Never mind that to me, the face of Afghanistan is that of a boy with a thin-boned frame a boy with Chinese doll face perpetually lit by a harelipped smile. What was the old saying about the bad penny? No more rockets, no more killing, no more funerals! But he just turned off the radio and asked if he could get me anything before he went to bed. My past was like that, always turning up." For him, all the violence and war seems like a huge disruption, but for those who grew up poor and dissatisfied, it's almost a logical continuation of an already-bad situation. I saw children dressed in rags chasing a soccer ball outside the huts. Memory and the Past Fathers and Sons By traveling to Afghanistan, facing the Taliban and old enemies, and bringing Sohrab to a new life where he can be safe and free, Rahim Khan asserts that Amir has redeemed himself. Have you ever wondered why he never includes you in games when he has guests? Every other sin is a variation of theft. 'Listening to them, I realized how much of who I was, what I was, had been defined by Baba and the marks he had left on people's lives Now he was gone. (211), It hurts to say that. 'I looked at Hassan, showing those two missing teeth, sunlight slanting on his face. The children are not used to constant military action. Politics and Society Its like a teacher waved a magic wand and did the work for me. '', Most of Amir's childhood memories are of the time before the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years. That was a long time ago, but its wrong what they say about the past, Ive learned, about how you can bury it. Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner clearly demonstrates the importance of violent scenes in contributing to the overall meaning of the book. There was a monster in the lake I was that monster. Memory and the Past Create your account. At this point the novel shifts from the personal story of Amir and Hassan to a larger political scale, as huge events affect Afghanistan and thus the lives of Hosseini's characters. We had both sinned and betrayed. The next time I saw him smile unabashedly like that was twenty-six years later, in a faded Polaroid photograph. Many years later, after Amir and his father fled mounting political instability and violence, Amir must leave America and return to Afghanistan to help Hassan's son, Sohrab. copyright 2003-2023 Study.com. On either side of the road, I saw chains of little villages sprouting here and there, like discarded toys among the rocks, broken mud houses and huts consisting of little more than four wooden poles and a tattered cloth as a roof. Ch 21 Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner. In the text the story of a man, named Amir's, past is told. He returns to Afghanistan and learns secrets about his family and past. Fathers and Sons And why not? The Kite Runner is more about the friction between the Hazaras and the Pashtuns. I flinched, like Id been slapped Then I understood: This was Hassans final sacrifice for me And that led to another understanding: Hassan knew. He has worked as an English instructor, editor and writer for the past 10 years. When Hassan is twelve, Assef rapes him. I have to write a thesis statement on this book for my LA class. A few weeks later, the Taliban banned kite fighting. Instead, the Taliban began a reign of terror, enforcing their rigid interpretation of Sharia (Islamic) law through violence and terrorism. All of it." -Amir, chapter 25. Amir is fascinated and saddened by how much has changed, but Farid advises him to just forget the pasteverything in Afghanistan has changed for the worst. Violence and Rape Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. That was a long time ago, but its wrong what they say about the past, Ive learned, about how you can bury it. Farid criticizes Amir for his privileged upbringing, and suggests that Amir never knew the real Afghanistanhe feels like a tourist now because he's always been a tourist in Afghanistan. I have a wife in America, a home, a career, and a family. Because Hassan was an ethnic Hazara, Baba would have faced increased social shame from anyone who knew. A boy who wont stand up for himself becomes a man who cant stand up to anything.. Amir is still consumed by guilt and selfhatred for his betrayals, and so he is eager to forget the past and try to lose himself in the strange, overwhelming new world of America and its fast-paced society. Amir also holds some prejudicial attitudes against Hassan for being Hazara, contributing to his inaction. | 2 I heard people on the street, jolted from sleep and probably still in their pajamas, with ruffled hair and puffy eyes. Like. 9 chapters | In The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. LitCharts Teacher Editions. Sohrab survives, but stops speaking altogether. Most violence can stay in many peoples' thoughts. Spoken. The brutal beating doesn't erase Amir's past sins, but it is at least a cleansing kind of suffering, as Amir feels he is finally being punished for the sins he's "gotten away with" for years. These comments are the highlight of my day, congrats to jesse and ryan on the wedding, and thanks owlcation for helping me pass my english class. He carries this guilt for the rest of the book. Assef terrorizes the neighborhood as a youth and then grows up to become a Taliban official. This is a huge revelation for Amir, as he realizes that the loyal friend he scorned and betrayed was actually a brother, and he also realizes that Baba committed a great sin and betrayal in sleeping with his best friend's (Ali's) wife. Under option by Showtime for a TV series. America was different. The half that, maybe, in the most secret recesses of his heart, Baba had thought of as his true son Then I realized something: That last thought had brought no sting with it I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night. The book is unquestionably intense, but it is well worth the read. When Amir says this, toward the end of Chapter 7, he has just watched Assef rape Hassan,and rather than intervene, he ran away. Ch 22 He knew Id seen everything in that alley, that Id stood there and done nothing. She has several years' experience tutoring friends and peers in many subjects, but social sciences and history are her passions. Amir's Flashback Violence in The Kite Runner - represent the coping mechanism of a small child experiencing trauma - we are concious of the fact that Amir is literally watching the rape unfold, but the reader can't SEE the detail of the rape during the flashbacks, and not being. Past mistakes can never be undone, but they can lead to "real good" in the present, and this is what true redemption means. Like The Road by Cormac McCarthy, where the father is devoted to the boy's safety, Amir endures a treacherous journey through Taliban-controlled Afghanistan and takes a beating that almost kills him to bring Sohrab to safety. Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support. This forever changes the relationship between the two boys, who eventually part inharmoniously. Who will leave on our stone shelves. There is a way to be good again, Rahim Khan had said on the phone just before hanging up.'. Almost. "', 'Because the truth of it was, I always felt like Baba hated me a little. Teacher Editions with classroom activities for all 1725 titles we cover. There are more peripheral instances of rape as well it is implied that Kamal, one of Hassans tormentors, was raped by soldiers, and Baba saves a woman from being raped by a Russian soldier. -Graham S. Below you will find the important quotes in, Would not have made it through AP Literature without the printable PDFs. Memory and the Past Ch 18 But he was already here, in the flesh, sitting less than ten feet from me, after all these years. Amir And congrats, Congratulations! It also connects to the novel's idea of the past and memory as constantly recurring in the present. 5 years ago I made the first post. I was that monster. Do you understand that?, We crossed the border and the signs of poverty were everywhere. Farid He flicked his cigarette out the window. Memory and the Past You have a visa to go to America, to live with me and my wife. Kites symbolized Amir and Hassan's happy childhood days, then they also became associated with Hassan's rape, and now their absence represents the Taliban's brutal rule. "There's going to be peace, Inshallah, and happiness and calm. Amir has been trying to forget his old betrayals all his life, but now he is finally working to redeem themand part of this involves facing just how much tragedy and change Afghanistan itself has endured since he saw it last. You? In this book, Hosseini, shows us how violence can change a person and can drag on for many years. His influential family background aside, Amir is sensitive, nonconfrontational, and bookish, qualities that strain his relationship with his father. Ch 19 The central act of the novel is Amir watching Hassan 's rape by Assef.There are more peripheral instances of rape as well - it is implied that Kamal, one of Hassan's tormentors, was raped by soldiers, and . This scene is so significant because it is essentially the conclusion of two scenes from decades earlierboth of Amir and Hassan's encounters with Assef, the first being when Hassan frightened Assef away with his slingshot, and the second being when Amir watched Assef rape Hassan and did nothing. Was it a fair price? Rahim Khan found Hassan and invited him (along with Hassan's wife and son) to come live with him in Kabul. But even though he had always been poor, he was a happy man and rarely shed a tear. Iago easily riles up his anger by reminding him that Othello, a Moor and therefore an outsider in Venetian society, is set to marry Desdemona. | 2 Amir - Amir, That same night, I wrote my first short story. The next time I saw him smile unabashedly like that was twenty-six years later, in a faded Polaroid photograph. Hassan had been the "kite runner" of the novel's title, but now Amir is the one saying these words and running a kitenot for Hassan, but for Hassan's son. Except now that I had it, I felt as empty as this unkempt pool I was dangling my legs into.''. I feel like its a lifeline. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness there is no act more wretched than stealing., War doesn't negate decency. America was a river, roaring along, unmindful of the past. Now I'm 28 and I'm getting married! Redemption The answer floated to my conscious mind before I could thwart it: He was just a Hazara, wasnt he? Fathers and Sons Hassan: He is Amir's close childhood companion and servant. ', 'He stopped, turned. I opened my mouth and almost told her how I'd betrayed Hassan, lied, driven him out, and destroyed a forty-year relationship between Baba and Ali. I remember he said to me, 'Rahim, a boy who won't stand up for himself becomes a man who can't stand up to anything.' She says he's "different from every Afghan guy" she's met, and now Amir wonders why this is the case. Amir spends much of the book relatively agnostic; religion plays a significantly smaller role in his life than culture and community. Although the two are on better terms, Amir cannot enjoy it because of his guilt. - Baba, One time, when I was very little, I climbed a tree and ate these green, sour apples. chapter, Rahim Khan: He is a close family friend. Maybe so. As an adult, Amir can confront this guilt by talking with a friend of his family, Rahim Khan, about what happened. Set against the background of the fall of Afghanistans government to the Soviet Union and the rise of the Taliban regime, Amir and his father (Baba) leave Afghanistan and move to the United States, where haunting memories of his childhood best friendHassan, the son of his fathers servantand unfinished business draw Amir back to Afghanistan. Tranquility. I was afraid of Assef and what he would do to me I actually aspired to cowardice, because the alternative, the real reason I was running, was that Assef was right: Nothing was free in this world. Rahim Khan is dying, and he has just called Amir to ask him to come to Pakistan and see him. Amir recalls, ''I watched with horror as one of the chapandaz fell off his saddle and was trampled under a score of hooves. This quote is after Amir escapes Afghanistan with Sohrab from a letter from Rahim Khan. After many decades of carrying guilt and shame about his actions as a child, Amir finds redemption in saving newly-orphaned Sohrab from Taliban violence. And this is what I want you to understand, that good, real good, was born out of your father's remorse. His name escaped my lips: Assef.. For you, a thousand times over, I heard myself say. Eventually, he faces his actions and attempts to atone for them. You'll be able to access your notes and highlights, make requests, and get updates on new titles. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking . The Kite Runner Challenge. What is "The Kite Runner" About? Enrolling in a course lets you earn progress by passing quizzes and exams. It didn't make ANYTHING all right. It took me thirty minutes. Maybe this was my punishment, and perhaps justly so. As Baba told the young Amir, the only real crime is theft, and rape is a theft of safety and selfhood, the ultimate violence and violation, and in The Kite Runner this brutality is inflicted upon both individual characters and the country of Afghanistan. I promise."'. And two years later, in 1998, they massacred the Hazaras in Mazar-iSharif.'. Then I'd bring it home and show it to Baba. So much guilt that it even. Was it a fair price? With open arms. You may wish to use joining words from the list of subordinating conjunctions above. 8. Her secret was out. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a 2003 novel about a boy named Amir growing up in Kabul, Afghanistan, as the nation is on the precipice of revolution and unrest. Hassan sacrifices his life to protect Amir's home from the Taliban. Until what age do you think children should be sheltered from this kind of violence? ", 'Long before the Roussi army marched into Afghanistan, long before villages were burned and schools destroyed Kabul had become a city of ghosts for me. (1), But I hope you will heed this: A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer. (301), "Insanely, I wanted to go in. he said. You dont get to fill them with your favorite colors. (21), It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime, Amir. (142), wow ryan and jesse true love at its finest. The way the content is organized, LitCharts assigns a color and icon to each theme in, Compare and contrast themes from other texts to this theme, The ThemeTracker below shows where, and to what degree, the theme of Violence and Rape appears in each chapter of. Set against the background of the fall of Afghanistan's government to the Soviet Union and the rise of the Taliban regime, Amir and his father ("Baba") leave Afghanistan and move to the United States, where haunting memories of his childhood best friendHassan, the son of his father's servantand .

Tennessee Lottery Tax Calculator, Articles V