words to describe a lake at night

At the bottom, smooth-edged stones glowed amber with a witchery uncommon to the modern world. Now the hidden odorophonics were beginning to blow a wind of odor at the two people in the middle of the baked veldtland. While these examples may go by different names (lake, laguna, lago, etc.) With eyes closed I am at home and the blackness around is my cocoon, a place in which my dreams may flow freely. The ocean strokes land with calm and reassuring hands, lacing water with sand and lifting seashells in its wake. Discarded and neglected; overlaid with spongy moss and choked by fallen, decaying leaves from the unclothed and My heart urges me forward, to walk among the peace, to capture the sweet smell of sea salt. Resumed our journey at 7.35 a.m., steering north over a level country with patches of brushwood and grass; at 10.35 ascended a steep grassy ridge, and found ourselves at the north-east extremity of the immense salt lake which for five days had baffled our attempts to proceed north. THE CLEAR LAKE A shadow passed through the sky. Most people do not know what that is, but it is fun. On the southern shore of a frozen lake, I encountered an extensive field of hard, granular snow, up which I scampered in fine tone, intending to follow it to its head, and cross the rocky spur against which it leans, hoping thus to come direct upon the base of the main Ritter peak. Kayaking and canoeing are other options, which are both just as entertaining as tubing except they are more serene. The lake was glimmering in the callow light of dawn. The masterpiece before us began to recede into darkness as the nighttime engulfed the sun and put daytime to. WebAccording to the algorithm that drives this website, the top 5 adjectives for "calm lake" are: vast, dead, beautiful, great, and small. adjectives to describe. I kept it to myself. No one could ask for a better backdrop for this decidedly frightful evening. As I helped set up the tents, I noticed a gentle breeze pick up. Another thing that I like to doing on the water is slalom. Shortly after I fell asleep, the gentle breeze had brought in dark clouds and turbulent winds began to arise. A mob of flies rose into the air. Unruffled by wind or rain, it was vault still and restful. The owl would whinny or hoot according to his species; the loon send forth his agonizing and weird shriek from some distant lake; a fox might bark sharply and fretfully, or two quarrelsome 'coons dispute over a bit of food they had discoveredall this went with the camping business, and indeed it would have seemed odd to those boys had the usual accompaniment been missing. Water can take on a wide variety of temperatures, from boiling hot to freezing cold. The lake is a long narrow salt-pan of considerable size, but without any important affluents; Mount Olga is a singular mountain situated about 50 miles from the lake. High up in the treetops, the leaves swayed, but on the ground, the grass was silent, limp and unmoving. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. While the caves and subterranean Melissani Lake were discovered several hundred years ago, the area only opened to the public in the early 1960s, with plenty of travelers rowing through its stunning blue water since then. We went down the creaky wooden stairs of our beach house and unlocked the storage room located beneath the home. November was coming. We rode the waves on a tube for part of the time and then relaxed in the edge of the water the rest of the time. A silent head and beak lanced down and plucked it out by the head, and the beak swallowed the little snake while its tail waved frantically. The ocean acting like a mirror, reflecting the colors of the fireworks on across the water. There was no track to guide us, but the Cree went straight as an arrow over hill and dale and, 22. Travelers are quick to add Lake Bled to their Slovenia itinerary, but that means the impossibly charming town can get a tad overtouristed during the summer months. (It even has shipwrecks, for crying out loud.) 30. (And if their crystalline or wildly colored waters dont do the trick, then the diversity of wildlife they often attract just might.). The narrator finds himself in trouble, picking up a tire iron and hitting the bad greasy character (Boyle 78) in the head, knocking him out. The lake is the eye of the mountain, jade green, placid, unwinking, also unfathomable. It is the kind we find in the bottom of a pond that has stood for many years, and it would seem that at some period all this prairie country with the black soil was the bottom of a, 40. A few clear streams flowed out from the mountain. The trees were beginning to go bare in the frigid October weather, and the ground was covered in their dry, crispy leaves. I remember that the water tasted like the nectar of the gods. It is necessary to insist on this, because many people hearing that certain mountains are volcanic, concludeand very naturally and harmlesslythat the circular lakes about their tops are true craters. The result is a magnificent (and in the last few years, too popular) natural attraction that almost defies imagination. Discover a variety of options on this ultimate list of water words. The night crawled quickly as the sun sank from the horizon. Red Lake is the lowest of the chain, and also the largest. THE QUIET VALLEY 3. Therefore,there are an immense amount of sea lovers. The two main subjects of Annie Dillards An American Childhood are the authors coming to terms with the intersection of race and opportunity, and her disappointment with fictional literature. The lake also lies within the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve, making it one of the best places to stargaze in the entire southern hemisphere. In the past decade or so, the resulting turquoise lakeAttabad Lakehas become a destination in and of itself. Already the sun had left the valley to go climbing up the slopes of the Gabilan Mountains, and the hilltops were rosy in the sun. The scene was so glorious that I had a lightning bolt moment. Alerted by the footsteps of the men, the rabbits scuttled back into their burrows. But by the pool among the mottled sycamores, a pleasant shade had fallen. The house tried to save itself, but its a nonliving object. The itching grass snapped me out of it. Local legend had it that a giant hand had scooped out a gash of rock aeons ago. descriptive words, which includes adverbs, adjectives and gerunds. Taking off their sandals they held on by their hands and feet to the smooth, shelving, stony wall, at the foot of which lay the darkly-gleaming, 44. While in the other essay, "Whistling Swan," written by Terry Tempest Williams uses a unfamiliar subject to compare the actions and attrocities that happened to a character., have their own complexity. The words that are highlighted in bold above are onomatopoeic words. I sat on a rock, admiring the glorious lustre of the water. I resolved to return one day to this halcyon paradise. WebFind 15 ways to say LAKE, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. The narrator also uses the setting to create an atmosphere that is appropriate for developing the character of the individuals within the story. The amount of salt in the electric-blue water makes swimming difficult (not to mention, inadvisable), but floating is a breeze. The house made the nursery into a jungle. Its contents are supplied entirely by glacial runoff and precipitation, hence the waters clarity and intense blue hue. Web211 adjectives to describe lake This little lake is a gem. No sound rang out from the shimmering emptiness of space around it. The forest was as dark as coal and misty, cold and silent. Get there first thing in the morning and rent a wooden rowboat to admire the body of water from every angle. Ensure your reader can vividly imagine the scents youre describing with these adjectives for smell. Most of the sentences are taken from the books available in public domain. I even thought the fish in the lake was actually fly in the sky, since the mountain and clouds scene reflected in the tranquil lake so. High up in the Bolivian mountains, about a three-hour drive north of Chiles San Pedro de Atacama, is where youll find the crimson-colored Laguna Colorada, whose water gets its distinctive hue from red algae (although folklore attributes it to the spilled blood of the gods). In front, fringed by tall alders lay a romantic little lake, the park stretched far to the rear of the castle. THE QUIET VALLEY The story is told from two sides of two different adolescents, Hector and Diana. The rain-soaked wind pushed the corroded swings, their eerie creaking harmonizing with the winds soft moans. But when the tide goes out the little water world becomes quiet and lovely. The Trasimene Lake and Cannae are melancholy precedents to look back upon, but form useful warnings to guard against similar disasters Crier, call back the younger century of the Amen tribe to give their votes again" 9. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. An example of imagery in the book would be when Ellen Raskin describes Sunset Towers. Strange! I was a passenger in the backseat of our family vehicle. Sweet are the sounds that mingle from afar, 280 Heard by calm lakes, as peeps the folding star, Where the duck dabbles 'mid the rustling sedge, And feeding pike starts from the water's edge, Or the swan stirs the reeds, his neck and bill Wetting, that drip upon the water still; 285 And heron, as resounds the trodden shore, Shoots upward, darting his long neck before. I took a sip of water from a stream. Bird houses and feeders swung still from the once growing apple trees, in the back garden, consigned to a life of. "I think lakes are the finest things in the world," he said. The hollowness of the valley magnified all sounds, from burbling streams to the bumble of bees. Free poetry lesson plans for secondarystudents, JCSA free resources: from the book Blue-SkyThinking, Describing the four seasons: from the book Writing withStardust, Sounds of the city: From the book Blue-SkyThinking, Teaching Flash Fiction: From the book Blue-SkyThinking, Junior Cycle Student Award EnglishResources. It soon became almost calm; a light western breeze barely swelled our sails, and gently wafted us to the land, which we could faintly discern to the north-east. " SENSATIONS OF PAIN While plenty of lakes in New Zealand boast blue waters and mountainous backdrops, Lake Tekapo stands out for the purple, pink, and blue-hued lupins lining its shores. The sunbeams came streaming gloriously through the jagged openings of the col, glancing on the burnished pavements and lighting the silvery lakes, while every sun-touched rock burned white on its edges like melting iron in a furnace. Sign up for our weekly newsletters and get: By signing in, you agree to our Terms and Conditions I will have to be about 18 before I can. I had an alleluia moment then and yearned for a time when the world was young. The ceiling above them became a deep sky with a hot yellow sun. The weather was perfect for sailing. It was in teardrop-silver in colour and it was shaped like a perfectly flat disc of metal. By subscribing to our newsletter(s) you agree to our User Agreement and Privacy Policy & Cookie Statement. At noon on the 22nd of August the riders crossed a small stream and set up their tents on the border of a. She would have need of them, for she had to cross a high glass mountain, three cutting swords, and a. After realizing what the boys have done, the greasy character, who wakes, and the new arrivals completely wreck the narrators car and leave Greasy Lake. In essence the narrator uses Greasy Lake as both a setting and character. He evaluated his own personal convictions regarding the Vietnam War at an isolated fishing lodge by the Canadian border. The rain swirled across the concrete road, past the abandoned basketball court haunted by the echoes of childhood and under the park benches where lovers had once met to profess their passion. This website can serve as a reference for the one who is looking how to use a word in sentences. To tube, you get on a round raft type of object and you sit in the middle of it and ride down the river. relating to the animals and plants that live at the bottom of the sea or a lake, briny water is full of salt, like sea water, choppy water has a lot of waves in it because the wind is blowing across it, relating to the part of a large river where it becomes wide and flows into the sea, fresh water is water in lakes and rivers that does not contain any salt, consisting of water that does not contain salt, mainly literary a heavy sea is rough with big waves, if a river is high, the water is above its usual level, for example because of heavy rain, if a river is in flood, it has a lot more water in it than usual and water may rise up over its edges onto the land, relating to, or used in, the sea near a coast, if a river is in spate, it is much deeper than usual and the water in it is moving very fast, for example after snow melts in the spring, used about the level of water in a river or the sea, biology living in or happening in the sea, relating to the sea and creatures that live in it, a navigable river, lake etc is deep and wide enough for ships to travel through, a no-take area of water is one where no fishing at all is allowed, if a road or a river is passable, it is not blocked and can be travelled on, relating to the parts of the sea that are far from land, used about the surface of a lake, river, or sea that has a lot of waves, often because the weather is bad, stagnant water does not flow and often smells bad, a swollen river or stream contains more water than normal as a result of heavy rain or snow that has melted, connected with the regular rise and fall of the level of the sea, a winding road, river etc has a lot of bends in it.

1993 Mclane High School Yearbook, Davidson Institute Acceptance Rate, How To Tell If Aries Woman Likes You, How Did I Die In My Past Life Birthmark, Rap Concerts In Chicago This Weekend, Articles W